Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U23s playing Crystal Palace - now!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Will Ferguson be given a first team slot soon? Seems to be banging them in currently

We've got one of those League Cup thingies we want to lose coming up soon, haven't we?

Difficult to know what to do for the best - he's only 16 and already appears to be a regular choice for the U23s. Perhaps that's the best place for this season at least. It'd be great to briing him in to the first team, but not every very precociously talented young player turns out to be a Rooney or a Trevor Francis. For every one of those, there's loads who never 'make it' at all, like Reuben Noble-Lazarus, the youngest ever player, or never really rise above the lower reaches of professional football (Jake Forster-Caskey or Jake Robinson, for example).

Also have to take into account we're in the PL now - would be much more likely to promote him if we were a division or two lower, like we were when we introduced the Jakes to senior football.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
To be fair to Palace it's expected for our U-23 squad to beat theirs.

They've added Tyrick Mitchell to the first team squad when he could still be with the U-23's and a quick google suggests they've loaned out Sion Spence to L2 Bristol Rovers and Jacob Montes to Belgium, so it's a very weakened squad. In comparision we've only promoted Roberts, Richards & Sarmiento to the first team squad and loaned out Ostigard, Van Hecke, Molumby, Jenks, Cochrane, Weir, Khadra, Rushworth, Dedonker & Longman.

Hardly a fair comparision at all :whistle:

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If he's good enough, he's old enough, been done before with the likes of Rooney........where's Locadia, seems to have vanished .....

Yes, you’re right, as rare exceptions like Rooney and Owen show. However scoring goals for the U23s does not necessarily indicate you’re good enough, yet. Aaron Connolly tore PL2 a new one in 18/19 and was the player of the season for the entire league.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

They've added Tyrick Mitchell to the first team squad when he could still be with the U-23's and a quick google suggests they've loaned out Sion Spence to L2 Bristol Rovers and Jacob Montes to Belgium, so it's a very weakened squad. In comparision we've only promoted Roberts, Richards & Sarmiento to the first team squad and loaned out Ostigard, Van Hecke, Molumby, Jenks, Cochrane, Weir, Khadra, Rushworth, Dedonker & Lookman.

And Caicedo.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
And Caicedo.

There was a few players I wasn't sure whether to include or not - Caicedo and Sima being the main two. Not sure what random rules my brain decided it on to exclude those two but here we are. I'd say it's no pro football before they were here, but I'm not sure if that actually checks out for the whole list (van Hecke maybe?) :lol:

Anyway the main point remians - even if they had beaten us toda, the job of a youth team is to get players ready for first team football, and it's clear we're lightyears ahead of them in that regard.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Palace had a player sent off at full time as well. If it was for losing his rag because they didn't get a result we'll have to accept that their academy are learning 'the Palace Way.'

Not quite. 20 man brawl 5 mins before the end could have had more than one red but the Palace player deserved it (and more) for giving the ref the middle finger and refusing to walk, after nearly throttling Albion player. A win against them is a win regardless.

Good to see the Palace fixture still means something to Dicker.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hahahahaha great times - and all we’ve heard from the Palace dullards on here is how great their academy is etc etc - they finally get to play in the top league and we put them in their place with most of our youngsters loaned out too - brilliant to shut the trolls up this one.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

They've added Tyrick Mitchell to the first team squad when he could still be with the U-23's and a quick google suggests they've loaned out Sion Spence to L2 Bristol Rovers and Jacob Montes to Belgium, so it's a very weakened squad. In comparision we've only promoted Roberts, Richards & Sarmiento to the first team squad and loaned out Ostigard, Van Hecke, Molumby, Jenks, Cochrane, Weir, Khadra, Rushworth, Dedonker & Longman.

Aaron Connolly and Tariq Lamptey are under 23s (comfortably)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Aaron Connolly and Tariq Lamptey are under 23s (comfortably)

Isn’t Mac too and Moder - possibly some others too - Sanchez maybe… Can’t be arsed to look them all up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Isn’t Mac too and Moder - possibly some others too - Sanchez maybe… Can’t be arsed to look them all up.

I don't think so - but there again, I don't know how many over-age players we are allowed to include in the varius competitions (the EFL Trophy, for example, is bloody complicated!)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't think so - but there again, I don't know how many over-age players we are allowed to include in the varius competitions (the EFL Trophy, for example, is bloody complicated!)

Also I think it’s 23 and under like youth football but depends on birthdays etc. I think.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

In the U23 PL you can play with three overage outfield players and one goalie.

Sanchez, Lamptey, Cucurella, Connolly, Mac Allister, Mwepu, Moder, Alzate, Roberts and Richards are all U23, though Sanchez was born in late 97 so might count as overage depending on they are doing calender years or not.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Also I think it’s 23 and under like youth football but depends on birthdays etc. I think.
Yeh, I think it's down to age on the 1st. of January - but the U23 rules allow Dicker to play as an over-age player, so that is obviously a complication on the absolute date of birth definition. The EFL rophy uses different dates, and is even more complicated! Whether or not they've played 40 or more senior games comes into consideration ...................

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the U23 PL you can play with three overage outfield players and one goalie.

Sanchez, Lamptey, Cucurella, Connolly, Mac Allister, Mwepu, Moder, Alzate, Roberts and Richards are all U23, though Sanchez was born in late 97 so might count as overage depending on they are doing calender years or not.

I think as far as the age categories are concerned (not the EFL Trophy) the first of January is the cut off date.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

But this was a weakened Albion U23 team, shirley? Tolaj or Peupion were rested for the first hour for starters.

And people banging on about sticking Ferguson in the first team - he's not even usually automatic choice for the U23s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here