Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why didn't we get the penalty?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Just why? Maupay rounds Krul, Krul doesn't touch the ball and their feet clearly make contact. Maupay doesn't stick his foot out or change its direction, he tries to stay on his feet for a stride before going down. I really don't understand this one.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
I think it should've been a penalty. You don't get them all, and we've had some decisions go our way this season, unlike most of last season where our luck was really out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I had to pick a game where we didn't get the rub, it'd be this one, because we didn't deserve to win - and with the way we were finishing I suspect he would have missed the penalty anyway.

larus

To me it looked like there was contact, but I’m not convinced it was much contact (semantics I know).

If that had been given against us I’d be annoyed, so can I be pissed that it wasn’t given for us?

We weren’t great today - but good to see Tariq back. Hopefully he’ll grow in confidence over the next few weeks.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Maupay was already on his way down is why, Krul’s clip was irrelevant.

As Elvis would have said “Don’t be Krul” (or similar)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
100% a pen - disgraceful that VaR didn’t give it - refs tend to wait for VAR now which is bollocks - you could see that prick point straight at his ear - so go and check the monitor.

Also could well have been a red card for Krul as didn’t make an attempt to play the ball really.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Krull caught Maupay’s foot and it caused him to go down, he may have been off balance before that but if he hadn’t been taken down he could have recovered and scored a tap in. Disgraceful decision imo but then I though the ref was a homer from the off

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I think it was a pen, just not enough for VAR to overturn in this “less-precise VAR” world this season. It wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake like a different player number or two footed leg-breaker.

Still doesn’t mean I wasn’t screaming for it. Bloody bias Referee. :rant: :censored:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think Maupay knew he had pushed the ball a bit to far to easily tuck it in, so decided to go over after feeling a bit of contact.
He also blazed over from close range near the end after good work from March.

Not his best day.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I think it was a pen, just not enough for VAR to overturn in this “less-precise VAR” world this season. It wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake like a different player number or two footed leg-breaker.

Still doesn’t mean I wasn’t screaming for it. Bloody bias Referee. :rant: :censored:

Exactly this. I'm much happier with VAR operating this way. It probably was a pen but after a quick look, it's not clear and obvious so stick with the on field decisions and don't waste too much time on it.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The replay looked like pretty much zero contact.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just why? Maupay rounds Krul, Krul doesn't touch the ball and their feet clearly make contact. Maupay doesn't stick his foot out or change its direction, he tries to stay on his feet for a stride before going down. I really don't understand this one.

I think you've answered your own question when you mention him trying to stay on his feet. Bizarrely his honesty actually costs us the decision. If he goes down immediately I think it gets given.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If we'd been given it I'd have been happy but if it was given against us I'd be well pissed off.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Exactly this. I'm much happier with VAR operating this way. It probably was a pen but after a quick look, it's not clear and obvious so stick with the on field decisions and don't waste too much time on it.

If "keeper spreads himself at feet of attacker one on one with him, misses ball but catches striker causing him to stumble and fall" isn't a penalty, then our game has changed immeasurably and this decision is really nothing to do with VAR at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Clear penalty.

Overall I think this annoying, passive-aggressive Jerry Seinfeld lookalike of a ref made his best to make a poor game worse.

Apart from the obvious contact.

Yep, he was a shite referee…for both teams

Anyone who can’t see the contact on Maupay’s boot needs to go to Specsavers, urgently

Krull manhandling Maupay after the appeal was a booking too, given the 8 other cards the out of his depth wanker gave

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here