Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Matt Hancock loses job

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. after 4 days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58940128

Former Health Secretary Matt Hancock has had a job offer from the United Nations withdrawn.

Mr Hancock announced this week that he had been given a role helping Africa's economy recover from Covid.

The UN said he would bring valuable experience - but Mr Hancock now says a rule has come to light that prevents him from taking the job while an MP.

Leading figures across Africa and UK opposition parties had criticised the UN's choice of the MP for the role.

Please post below other examples of your own short term employments or those of others.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Frank de Boer at Palace, Sam Allardyce in the England job.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We offered someone a job, then withdrew the offer as his references were poor. He got a similar job elsewhere, and didn't turn up on the first day (or afterwards).

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Please post below other examples of your own short term employments or those of others.

When I was on JSA I was pretty desperate to get any job. The lady who I was seeing every fortnight said she had found a retail job for me at Savers in Worthing. The first 3 days were on a trial basis with no wages but after that I would have a full time job as long as I turned up on time and worked hard. Wasn't particularly over the moon with it - especially having to rely on public transport from near Holmbush in Shoreham to get there. However I sucked it up and agreed.

On my first shift I get there nice and early to make a good impression and I'm taken upstairs to discuss the role. It turns out after my three weeks of trial shift I'll be on a retail apprenticeship. It's a bit of a suckerpunch but I nod my head and go along with it. "Are their any days you can't or rather wouldn't work?" I'm asked. Well, yes actually. I have a season ticket for Brighton so would be ideal if I didn't have to work every Saturday. I'm happy to work at home when Brighton aren't at home though. Losing out on away days and potentially weekday games - gutted again but I need this job. It get on with the shift, it's your generic rubbish retail job. Get a bit of lip from a customer but I get on with it. As it comes to closing time I'm asked to help with a few cleaning tasks. Gets to 6pm and the rest of the staff leave, it's just me and the manager tidying up. Now it might be coincidence but all I could think was that I'm on the least money so of course I'm going to be the last to leave.

Gets to about 6:40 and finally we finish. As I go upstairs the manager tells me my schedule is upstairs so to grab it and check. Working every single Saturday.

I walked out and never even considered going back.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Bit clickbaity. He lost an unpaid largely ceremonial goodwill job with the UN. Not his day job, which he should've done when he breached his own Covid rules by snogging and copping a feel with his married employee on work premises.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We had a secretary went for lunch on her first day and never came back once.

I recall a PA joining and for the life of me can only think they had joined as a practical joke. Joined on the day of the Christmas party, got absolutely shit faced and ended up going back home for jiggy jiggy with somebody random from marketing and not returning the next day.

How do we know ? When they had recovered from the hangover, they came back in and TOLD EVERYONE.

Would buy a Chinese Take-Away at lunchtime, but would loudly refer to it as a "going for a ch***y". Lovely person, but blimey....

They were so relieved when they finally gave in their notice a few months later.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Started my new job the week before Xmas last year.

Did that week fine. And had a 2 week break.

Went back on the 4th Jan as normal. That night Boris announced lockdown. Went in the next day and got laid off as they were going back to furlough and and hadn't been there long enough to qualify for it.

Most excellent.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Flew out to a summer student job at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (as seen in The Lost Boys film) working a fast food stand. Four days in I poured two Cokes for two Brits who also worked there and were passing by the stand, not charging them and thinking nothing of it...and got sacked for it the same day. The cost of getting the job, with flights etc. ran to many hundreds of English pounds, the Cokes were worth about $2 all in.

D

Deleted member 2719

In my early 20's I carried a hod.........for one day.

Long story, but the site I was working on just happened to have a guy I had had a fight with over a girl, just a few months before.
It would have kicked off again.................you could feel the tension in the portacabin at break. I am not sure if I even bothered to collect my cash.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just remembered our security guard that on the lunchtime of his first day ended up being wrestled to the ground by other people's security guards as he walked back into reception.

Uniform on uniform was the best way to describe it.

He was walked into Sainsburys next door (with a long coat) and shoplifted loads of spirits.

The Sainsburys security guards followed him back to work and it all kicked off outside.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've seen more than one or two hod carriers last no further than morning break on their first day :lolol:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
2 spring to mind for me.

When I was about 18 I got a job labouring for a landscape gardening company. I was on a job somewhere way out in West Sussex and uncovered a slow worm. I'm petrified of snakes and this was the first time I'd ever seen a Slow Worm and it looked a bit too much like s snake to me. Other guys working there told me they see them all the time. I decided there and then it wasn't for me and walked to the nearest train station and made my way back to Brighton. 3 days I did working for them.

Also this got me thinking...

I used to work in the massive warehouse opposite Lewes Road Halfords (now a storage place I think) when it was a Tyre warehouse for Setyres. It was stacked to the room on about 6 floors with tyres with a permanently rotating hoist for moving tyres between floors. I think it was my first job when leaving school in 95/96 and got paid £75 per week. After about 2 months most of us working there got made redundant. As we all walked out the gate the company had their own team of builders who did the maintenance at all the Setyres sites in Sussex. They asked if I was okay and I jokinlg said "no just been made redundant, don't spose you need a labourer do you?" And to my surprise they said actually we do can you start tomorrow? I went back to work the next day at the same place for the same company for £200 a week. I thought I'd won the lottery as a 16 year old!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In my early 20's I carried a hod.........for one day.

Long story, but the site I was working on just happened to have a guy I had had a fight with over a girl, just a few months before.
It would have kicked off again.................you could feel the tension in the portacabin at break. I am not sure if I even bothered to collect my cash.

Oh, that old chestnut :wink:

D

Deleted member 2719

You are wasted on here.

Go on..........

I've seen more than one or two hod carriers last no further than morning break on their first day :lolol:

I had done harder jobs than hod carrying prior to that.

Just imagine the testosterone of two young guys in their early 20's, one has worked on this site for several years, then me on my first day.

The guy had come on to my girlfriend, I had been to the same school with him he knew the score.

He crossed the line.....we all have a line, don't we???

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Go on..........

Just imagine the testosterone of two young guys in their early 20's, one has worked on this site for several years, then me on my first day.

The guy had come on to my girlfriend, I had been to the same school with him he knew the score.

I honestly don't know any harder jobs than hod carrying on the building. Scaffolding, might come close, and floor screeding didn't look like much fun. Back then a lot of it was ladder work, rather than forklift.

I saw many a punch up during my time on the building. Back then, it was all 'self employed' for subbies and loads of blokes came and went.

I saw loads of chancers come and go as hod carriers. Like I say, some didn't make it beyond the first break.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I got a graduate job in London 20-odd years ago, off the back of three interviews, and then got fired on my third day. Rather not talk about it thanks, still stings a bit even though my career went off in a completely different direction and has been pretty decent I guess.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Go on..........

Did he wipe it off after? Yes, that would make me jolly cross with him too, if it had been my girlfriend. I would also quit the job, wouldn't want the whole site knowing he had given my girlfriend's face the Painters Radio look, and then smashed my face in on too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here