Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can Ashworth moonlighting

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dan Ashworth, ex-FA boss, to join Warwickshire committee

Brighton technical director Dan Ashworth is to lend his football expertise to cricket by also working for new county champions Warwickshire.

Ashworth, 50, who began his career as a footballer and reached director level with West Brom and England, will sit on the Bears' cricket audit committee.

"To tap into his skills, experience and vision could be game-changing for Warwickshire," said CEO Stuart Cain.

"Dan has been working at the highest level of football for several years."

After Ashworth's hopes of making it as a professional footballer ended at Norwich, he worked in youth football with Peterborough United and Cambridge United before joining West Bromwich Albion in March 2004.

He then took over from Aidy Boothroyd as the Baggies' academy director in June 2004 before succeeding Simon Hunt as their sporting and technical director in 2007.

He was then headhunted by the Football Association to become director of elite development in 2012, a role he filled for seven years until resigning from the FA in 2018 to join Brighton.

He is still based in the Midlands, from his time with West Brom.

MORE >>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58891345

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes he Dan.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Ah - "Can Can" Ashworth. I remember her - parts of her anyway.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If only there was a local county cricket team that could desperately do with help to improve.

Couldn't do any worse than the current management at Sussex.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If only there was a local county cricket team that could desperately do with help to improve.

Couldn't do any worse than the current management at Sussex.
That's the first thing that crossed my mind. I guess he wouldn't consider Sussex any more than he would consider being a football Technical Director at somewhere like Walsall, or Tipton Town. The man wants to work at a certain level, and it isn't rock-bottom.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't know the in's and out's of Ashworth's day to day job with us, but personally I feel he should be fully focussed on that not taking up side interests with a cricket club

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I don't know the in's and out's of Ashworth's day to day job with us, but personally I feel he should be fully focussed on that not taking up side interests with a cricket club

The article on the Warwickshire CCC website describes it as an "honorary role alongside his full-time role with Brighton & Hove Albion, with both clubs benefitting from sharing elite sports knowledge and insight across coaching, recruitment and development."

https://edgbaston.com/news/warwicks...ttee-to-support-high-performance-development/

It sounds like it might typically take up a couple of hours a week, unless his time management skills are much worse than might be expected of somebody in his position.

That aside, I think it's generally good for people to dip their toes in other waters occasionally, it helps to gain a different perspective.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So Sussex have now reached the stage where we can't even get someone from the Albion to touch us with a barge pole?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does Dan Ashworth spend all his time in Brighton ? He is Midlands based right? So perhaps easier to take another commitment closer to where he lives. And probably beyond the thoughts of the current Sussex CCC management...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The article on the Warwickshire CCC website describes it as an "honorary role alongside his full-time role with Brighton & Hove Albion, with both clubs benefitting from sharing elite sports knowledge and insight across coaching, recruitment and development."

https://edgbaston.com/news/warwicks...ttee-to-support-high-performance-development/

It sounds like it might typically take up a couple of hours a week, unless his time management skills are much worse than might be expected of somebody in his position.

That aside, I think it's generally good for people to dip their toes in other waters occasionally, it helps to gain a different perspective.

100%. Sounds very much like a minimal time commitment, voluntary non-exec director type role, and for him close to home. Completely normal for senior people to do this in many walks of life. Bloom/Barber will naturally have approved this on the basis it doesn’t conflict with his day job.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Given the apparent siege mentality at Sussex CCC at the moment, with another coaching departure announcement today, I doubt if the management at the county would welcome any external perspectives at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Moonligh-tin?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dan Ashworth, ex-FA boss, to join Warwickshire committee

Brighton technical director Dan Ashworth is to lend his football expertise to cricket by also working for new county champions Warwickshire.

Ashworth, 50, who began his career as a footballer and reached director level with West Brom and England, will sit on the Bears' cricket audit committee.

"To tap into his skills, experience and vision could be game-changing for Warwickshire," said CEO Stuart Cain.

"Dan has been working at the highest level of football for several years."

After Ashworth's hopes of making it as a professional footballer ended at Norwich, he worked in youth football with Peterborough United and Cambridge United before joining West Bromwich Albion in March 2004.

He then took over from Aidy Boothroyd as the Baggies' academy director in June 2004 before succeeding Simon Hunt as their sporting and technical director in 2007.

He was then headhunted by the Football Association to become director of elite development in 2012, a role he filled for seven years until resigning from the FA in 2018 to join Brighton.

He is still based in the Midlands, from his time with West Brom.

MORE >>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58891345

If only he had got a similar part time job with Sussex....we could have got rid of the egg chasing aftershave drinker and been far better off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here