Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Terry Connor, First Black Mens Player Of The Season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My Terry Connor story is not so embellished but still as enjoyable.... I was only able to get tickets for the SW stand instead of the north or NW where I would usually go..., Myself and the 1,000 or do other fans knew about a second before the rest of the fans that we were 2-0 up because Connor was set away and ran on to a fantastic ball... we were in a straight line between Connor, Grobbelar and the goal... Grobbelar tried to make himself big but Terry curled it round him perfectly.... we were celebrating before the ball hit the back of the net.... marvellous days, I was 24 and this was the first ever live televised FA Cup game on a Sunday...

. at the final whistle we all danced a jig of joy and after a short celebration tuned back to give the liverpool fans in the NE away section the bird but... they had all gone ! I have never seen a terrace empty faster than that away section at the Goldstone that day .

Ok it was 325 corners.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Please forgive me I missed that it was being linked in that way.

I suppose it was like my quote of Small being head and shoulder above Connor, you guys missed that one.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

But you didn’t did you?

Terry Connor for me but only by a gnats cock. Both were excellent players for the club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I wonder if TC has still got the sponsors crappy little TV which for many years was the player of the season prize?

No mention of bullet header away to Norwich:D

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I meet him a couple of times when he was assistant manager to Mick McCarthy at Wolves - he managed the reserves and they played their home fixtures at Telford's ground [just down the road from me] - good bloke
McCarthy took him with him to Ipswich and I think he's still with him as assistant with the Republic of Ireland

Wonder if he will ever try head-coach / manager on a permanent basis?

D

Deleted member 2719

But you didn’t did you?

Terry Connor for me but only by a gnats cock. Both were excellent players for the club.

Err........yes I did.

When I said head and shoulders above, I did mean height in jest.

Saying that, I still preferred Smalls style, it complemented Byrnes so well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I meet him a couple of times when he was assistant manager to Mick McCarthy at Wolves - he managed the reserves and they played their home fixtures at Telford's ground [just down the road from me] - good bloke
McCarthy took him with him to Ipswich and I think he's still with him as assistant with the Republic of Ireland

Wonder if he will ever try head-coach / manager on a permanent basis?

Mick Mc left the Ireland job almost two years ago!

He managed in Cyprus briefly after that, and is now Cardiff manager. (And yes TC is still with him)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
TC was one of our fave players mid 80's.

Didn't he play for England U21's and score . . . (at the Goldstone? Seem to remember a U21 game there )

He played and scored once for the U21's, against Yugoslavia but the game was played at Peterborough i think. Future Brighton player Simon Morgan also played in the game.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Err........yes I did.

When I said head and shoulders above, I did mean height in jest.

Saying that, I still preferred Smalls style, it complemented Byrnes so well.

It wasn’t about his height but the need to raise why his colour was mentioned when it was this reason why it was written.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He was my first Albion hero. Looked like a short Otis Redding and still the best attacking header of the ball. He was before Chivers and Robinson. We had a mighty strike force in my first season as an Albion obsessive - Conner, Saunders, Fashanu, Biley and Ferguson. Being supplied by Wilson, Penney and Mortimer.Then a year later Dickie Tiltman was our target man. Should have seen the writing on the wall.

If you are the Sam I think you are, you had an Otis Redding poster in your room which did indeed look very much like Terry. My favourite Albion player of that era. Such an acrobatic player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FWIW, since TC in 1986/7 the Albion POTS has been a black player on 8 occasions:

1989/90 Keith Dublin
1991/92.Mark Gall
1994/95.Peter Smith
1997/98.Jeff Minton
2000/01.Bobby Zamora
2001/02..Bobby Zamora
2011/12..Liam Bridcutt
2012/13..Liam Bridcutt

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FWIW, since TC in 1986/7 the Albion POTS has been a black player on 8 occasions:

1989/90 Keith Dublin
1991/92.Mark Gall
1994/95.Peter Smith
1997/98.Jeff Minton
2000/01.Bobby Zamora
2001/02..Bobby Zamora
2011/12..Liam Bridcutt
2012/13..Liam Bridcutt
Peter Smith :smile:

Top work by us.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Loved that game.

Took about ten hours to get home though - train broke down in the freezing weather on the way back.

£18 on the Seagull Special. Although I don't remember that one breaking down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here