Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Terry Connor, First Black Mens Player Of The Season.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i remember TC coming down to us ....i didn't give a shit what colour he was , i was ****ing made up that we had a player of his stature , memory foggy but all around the same time as Chivers and Robinson ...a great time at the old Goldstone ground......

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
He once did some charity thing at The Brittania Pub in Littlehampton and stopped me in the street to ask me where it was.
He ended up giving me a lift to the pub and we had a great chat etc.
Top player and top bloke who always gave 100%

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He once did some charity thing at The Brittania Pub in Littlehampton and stopped me in the street to ask me where it was.
He ended up giving me a lift to the pub and we had a great chat etc.
Top player and top bloke who always gave 100%

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

yep , top bloke ...met him at woodside road when he handed me the u18' w sussex cup..:p

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Seem to remember when he was at the Withdean as Mick McCarthy’s 2 I/c. As he walked to the dugout he got a big round of applause and seemed to be genuinely surprised and moved by it. McCarthy was also pleased and gave Terry a pat on the back.

A great player and we were lucky to have him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
He was my first Albion hero. Looked like a short Otis Redding and still the best attacking header of the ball. He was before Chivers and Robinson. We had a mighty strike force in my first season as an Albion obsessive - Conner, Saunders, Fashanu, Biley and Ferguson. Being supplied by Wilson, Penney and Mortimer.Then a year later Dickie Tiltman was our target man. Should have seen the writing on the wall.

D

Deleted member 2719

I am not sure why we keep banging on about someone's colour, but if you are segregating footballers by colour, Mike Small was head and shoulder above Connor IMO.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I am not sure why we keep banging on about someone's colour, but if you are segregating footballers by colour, Mike Small was head and shoulder above Connor IMO.

WE are not doing anything. The club are publishing an article during Black History Month about one of our early black players and the issues he suffered.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

And there lies the problem. As mentioned previously it’s an interview for black history month.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hull City v Brighton and Hove Albion, 25 January 1986
2 - 3

Terry Connor scored the winner.

Easily one of my all time Top 5 Albion goals.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
2 - 3

Loved that game.

Took about ten hours to get home though - train broke down in the freezing weather on the way back.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
2 - 3

Awesome away day and we bathed in hot sunlight, our coats stacked. Whilst they shivered in the ice cold shade, with snow stacked against their hordings. Then came Peterborough away!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
2 - 3

His goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup was pretty special too.

D

Deleted member 2719

WE are not doing anything. The club are publishing an article during Black History Month about one of our early black players and the issues he suffered.

And there lies the problem. As mentioned previously it’s an interview for black history month.

Please forgive me I missed that it was being linked in that way.

I suppose it was like my quote of Small being head and shoulder above Connor, you guys missed that one.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He was our striker when I first stated going, him and Danny Wilson were my favourite players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
His goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup was pretty special too.

I make on apology of retelling this for the bazillionth time with the bazillionth embellishment.

I forget how it got too 2-2, but we spent the entire second half defending, down t'other end.
I think they had 326 consecutive corners.

Finally we popped out, down their left.
The tension was releasing.
I was stood at the back of our small terrace behind the far post.
? is now in the Hull half of the pitch, for the first time in 32 minutes.
TC was busting to the near post.

We surged forward.
The cross came in.
I fell over.
TC rose like a majestic salmon.
Hands came down and grabbed at me.
The ball glanced off TC's forehead.
Every part of me that had be grabbed was thrown into the air.
The ball hit the bag of the net right in front of us.
Just as my entire body is about 2 foot above the rest of us.

Oh what a game.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I make on apology of retelling this for the bazillionth time with the bazillionth embellishment.

I forget how it got too 2-2, but we spent the entire second half defending, down t'other end.
I think they had 326 consecutive corners.

Finally we popped out, down their left.
The tension was releasing.
I was stood at the back of our small terrace behind the far post.
? is now in the Hull half of the pitch, for the first time in 32 minutes.
TC was busting to the near post.

We surged forward.
The cross came in.
I fell over.
TC rose like a majestic salmon.
Hands came down and grabbed at me.
The ball glanced off TC's forehead.
Every part of me that had be grabbed was thrown into the air.
The ball hit the bag of the net right in front of us.
Just as my entire body is about 2 foot above the rest of us.

Oh what a game.

My Terry Connor story is not so embellished but still as enjoyable.... I was only able to get tickets for the SW stand instead of the north or NW where I would usually go..., Myself and the 1,000 or do other fans knew about a second before the rest of the fans that we were 2-0 up because Connor was set away and ran on to a fantastic ball... we were in a straight line between Connor, Grobbelar and the goal... Grobbelar tried to make himself big but Terry curled it round him perfectly.... we were celebrating before the ball hit the back of the net.... marvellous days, I was 24 and this was the first ever live televised FA Cup game on a Sunday...

. at the final whistle we all danced a jig of joy and after a short celebration tuned back to give the liverpool fans in the NE away section the bird but... they had all gone ! I have never seen a terrace empty faster than that away section at the Goldstone that day .

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
TC was one of our fave players mid 80's.

Didn't he play for England U21's and score . . . (at the Goldstone? Seem to remember a U21 game there )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here