Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Laurie Cunningham story

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
That brought back some memories. Cunningham was indeed a flair player, on his day he had the beating of anybody.
It makes you realise how football has changed, WBA challenging for the title ? The league was much more open before the Sky money came in.
Bats on, Regis and Cunningham... what a trio to have in your team....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That brought back some memories. Cunningham was indeed a flair player, on his day he had the beating of anybody.
It makes you realise how football has changed, WBA challenging for the title ? The league was much more open before the Sky money came in.
Bats on, Regis and Cunningham... what a trio to have in your team....

Indeed, odd and a shame that Ron Atkinson was fired for racism as a pundit when he was at the forefront of playing black players too.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
ITV showed a really good documentary about him a few years ago. It doesn’t appear to be on their on demand service but is on daily motion. Well worth a watch for people like me who were too young to remember his West Brom days and the impact he had on the game clearly.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xywddi

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Read this earlier on and was shocked to be reminded of all the throwing banana stuff, even worse about the National Front people waiting at grounds to spit on black players as they arrived at grounds. Makes me all the more supportive of the take the knee thing, and why I am pleased to see it applauded.

Also read from the Guardian this morning an article about Michael Johnson and a new podcast of his about Black People in Sport and Politics, about how Tommie Smith and John Carlos were vilified in the US after the black power salute in the Mexico City Olympics in 1968. Johnson only realised it from his research in to things like their stride patterns.

I have enormous respect for Michael Johnson in every respect, as an athlete, a pundit and a human being. What some of his predecessors in sport, like Smith and Cunningham have been through is horrendous, shameful, hateful.

I remember the simple wisdom of my mother in the 60s (she died in 1970 so it must have been in the 60s) who used to say “we’re all the same under the skin”. I just don’t “get” racism.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Didn't remember that he was on loan to Man U when we played them in '83 final.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here