Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I wouldn't have believed this was true if I didn't know it was actually true

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Hedy Lamarr, the Hollywood moviestar of the 40's, came up with the idea for the technology that eventually became used for mobile phones, bluetooth and wifi.

View attachment 141271

Did she also invent the torpedo? Or am I confusing her with another starlet?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
President John Tyler, 1790 - 1862, U.S President from 1841 to 1845 has a grandchild who is still alive.(Harrison Ruffin Tyler)

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Hedy Lamarr, the Hollywood moviestar of the 40's, came up with the idea for the technology that eventually became used for mobile phones, bluetooth and wifi.

View attachment 141271

dzC43Ok.gif

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Did she also invent the torpedo? Or am I confusing her with another starlet?

A quick google says the frequency hopping idea was originally meant to be used for radio controlled torpedos

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
The longest word in English that can be created using just the letters on one row of a standard QWERTY keyboard is……….

TYPEWRITER

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The final bars of "Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding (his worst recording IMHO) are whistled.
This is because they laid down the track in the recording studio and used the whistling to figure out the length and cadence of the song, but didn't arrive at a finished product.
Otis then flew home for the weekend, the plane crashed and unfortunately Otis (and others) died.
So they released a version that included Otis whistling.

Or so I'm led to believe.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The final bars of "Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding (his worst recording IMHO)

Ridiculous, after-timing musical snobbery. (Sitting on) The Dock Of The Bay is a great record. It may have be a change of direction, it may have since been over played and over-praised but it's a sublime piece of work. It would have been better had Otis lived and Steve Cropper not been forced to mix what they had and rush out a release, but even if you don't appreciate the different style, its heartfelt and delivered with conviction. Its certainly in a different class to some of the album fillers that Otis recorded. His hacky cover of 'Day Tripper' is better is it? His version of the Tenessee Waltz? None of his Sam Cooke covers come anywhere near the originals even with the Bar Kays backing him. Dock of A Bay was his, it was original and it was a tragedy that he never got to develop on the prototype of the country soul sound that it introduced.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ridiculous, after-timing musical snobbery. (Sitting on) The Dock Of The Bay is a great record. It may have be a change of direction, it may have since been over played and over-praised but it's a sublime piece of work. It would have been better had Otis lived and Steve Cropper not been forced to mix what they had and rush out a release, but even if you don't appreciate the different style, its heartfelt and delivered with conviction. Its certainly in a different class to some of the album fillers that Otis recorded. His hacky cover of 'Day Tripper' is better is it? His version of the Tenessee Waltz? None of his Sam Cooke covers come anywhere near the originals even with the Bar Kays backing him. Dock of A Bay was his, it was original and it was a tragedy that he never got to develop on the prototype of the country soul sound that it introduced.

What he said

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sadly not - it's actually meicrodon.

It is indeed. A more interesting question is where this idea that it's popity-ping comes from: was it some joke that's been mis-remembered?

But if you want a genuine Welsh word, butterfly in Welsh is pila pala, which I think sounds rather beautiful

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The final bars of "Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding (his worst recording IMHO) are whistled.
This is because they laid down the track in the recording studio and used the whistling to figure out the length and cadence of the song, but didn't arrive at a finished product.
Otis then flew home for the weekend, the plane crashed and unfortunately Otis (and others) died.
So they released a version that included Otis whistling.

Or so I'm led to believe.

Talking of figuring out the length, when it comes to vinyl the louder and more bass heavy a track is. the less it can fit, in terms of time, onto a cut record, as the grooves have to be bigger (or thicker if you prefer).

Thus a quiet piece of classical music can last for much longer than a badass techno or drum and bass (or heavy metal where the track must be played loudly) on the same 12" vinyl.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It is indeed. A more interesting question is where this idea that it's popity-ping comes from: was it some joke that's been mis-remembered?

But if you want a genuine Welsh word, butterfly in Welsh is pila pala, which I think sounds rather beautiful

When reading your reply it put Rob Brydons voice in my head:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here