Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Stones drop their best song from their live set list

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-5889624

Jagger in 1995 said "God knows what I'm on about on that song. It's such a mishmash". Hmm seems it's pretty obvious what the song, like most rock n roll songs, is about!

"Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Skydog slaver knows he's doin' all right
Hear him whip the women just around midnight
Brown Sugar, how come you taste so good
Brown Sugar, just like a young girl should
Drums beatin' cold, English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wonderin' when it's gonna stop
House boy knows that he's doin' all right
You should have heard him just around midnight
Brown Sugar, how come you taste so good?
Brown Sugar, how come you dance so good?
Brown Sugar, just like a black girl should
I bet your mama was a tent show queen
And all her boyfriends were sweet 16
I'm no school boy but I know what I like
You should have heard them just around midnight
I said, yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!
How come you, how come you dance so good
Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!
Just like a, just like a black girl should
Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Typical wokeists ruining the world.

They all sound the same to me.

What, what you could say that 25 years ago - why can't you say that now!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Listened to Exile on Main Street today for first time in years I’d forgotten how brilliant that album is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Listened to Exile on Main Street today for first time in years I’d forgotten how brilliant that album is.

They turned into a parody almost as soon as Mick Taylor left. The most talented member of the band by a margin imo

I do know that most won’t agree with me, I think Some Girls was the only album I liked after Exile :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The one where he turns his head to tell his darkest goat that he needs to paint something black is the most overrated one.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Gimme Shelter is their best song, IMO of course.

Good call, but I have a particular soft spot for Sweet Virginia. Not sure if [MENTION=28061]Nitram[/MENTION] agrees.
On a related note, I heard Gram Parsons' version of Wild Horses a few months back for the first time. It's so much better than the Stones'

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Good call, but I have a particular soft spot for Sweet Virginia. Not sure if [MENTION=28061]Nitram[/MENTION] agrees.
On a related note, I heard Gram Parsons' version of Wild Horses a few months back for the first time. It's so much better than the Stones'

Not a bad track on that album but that is certainly is a top contender. I always get drawn back to Paint it Black and in particular Charlie Watt’s drumming on it. Magical.

Jan 30, 2008
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-5889624

Jagger in 1995 said "God knows what I'm on about on that song. It's such a mishmash". Hmm seems it's pretty obvious what the song, like most rock n roll songs, is about!

"Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Skydog slaver knows he's doin' all right
Hear him whip the women just around midnight
Drums beatin' cold, English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wonderin' when it's gonna stop
House boy knows that he's doin' all right
You should have heard him just around midnight
Brown Sugar, how come you taste so good?
Brown Sugar, how come you dance so good?
Brown Sugar, just like a black girl should
I bet your mama was a tent show queen
And all her boyfriends were sweet 16
I'm no school boy but I know what I like
You should have heard them just around midnight
I said, yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!
How come you, how come you dance so good
Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!
Just like a, just like a black girl should
Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!"

Cancel culture nothing more nothing less

regards
DF

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Cancel culture nothing more nothing less

regards
DF

Yeah, what is the world coming to when a 78 year old white multi millionaire thinks that his song about having sex with teenage slaves may be a bit dated! I expect that his struggling little band won't be able to sell any tickets with their recorded catalogue of songs reduced to only 421.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
FFS

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yeah, what is the world coming to when a 78 year old white multi millionaire thinks that his song about having sex with teenage slaves may be a bit dated! I expect that his struggling little band won't be able to sell any tickets with their recorded catalogue of songs reduced to only 421.

Keith Richards agreed to pull the song but said that people don't seem to realise that it is an anti slavery song and pointed out the horror of slavery, but it is easy to see how the lyrics could be totally misconstrued.
I find it hard to believe that Richards or any other stone could be racist at all, most of their heroes are black, like Chuck Berry and a lot of their songs are based on black music like The blues.
Personally I think that Brown Sugar is a Great song, one of my favourites.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As a non practicing Christian fundamentalist I am offended by the track Sympathy for the Devil and I demand it is cancelled.

BTW I sang Brown Sugar in Karioki once on holiday and as with most, didn’t realise the lyrics were so explicit. As the words appeared Ona big screen behind me also, the laughing drunken revelry in the bar in Tenerife atmosphere changed straight away ( could have been my singing of course) and I signalled to the DJ to kill it…which she did and I ended up singing a wham song…LOL.

Btw. Did anyone listen to 5 live this morning regarding the removal of the name Exeter Chiefs as it was offensive to native Americans? Bit like Washington redskins! Very interesting points made ( Exeter has so far removed the Chief sitting bull mascot) especially from the tribal elder from one of the NA tribes who was arguing that these “ nicknames” of all teams should be removed to avoid offence to someone and leave it just to the name of the town/ city where they are based, the counter argument put forward by a Rugby administrator was that a “ nickname” actually identified the club with fans and was brought in mostly by TV companies trying to create identity…like the rugby league teams that never had such. They were not quality checked for offenceometer issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here