1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Go on then. Convince me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Go on then. Convince me.

I’ll just say make sure that whichever ones you are intending to buy fit your ears well. I have some Apple ones but can only use them when I am sitting down or creeping about slowly. They fall out with movement due to my lug holes being too small.

Quite how you do that without a friendly mate to let you try them I don’t know

Have to say they are very good though not ideal for me

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I’ll just say make sure that whichever ones you are intending to buy fit your ears well. I have some Apple ones but can only use them when I am sitting down or creeping about slowly. They fall out with movement due to my lug holes being too small.

Quite how you do that without a friendly mate to let you try them I don’t know

Have to say they are very good though not ideal for me

Didn't they come with a variety of squishy add-ons so you could pick the ones that best suit you?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
So, last year I wanted to invest in a pair but I didn't want to go straight in at the deep-end. I listen to a shit tonne of media, infact I'd probably put the amount of time I have headphones in a week comfortably north of 100 hours. A quick google of 'best budget wireless earbuds' returned a lot of results for the Anker Soundcore range at £40. A reasonable pricetag that meant I could dip my toe in the wireless earbud market and then if I liked them I would go out and buy a bigger, better pair. I still have a pair of Soundcores.

- They took less than 10 seconds to sync.

- The battery of both the case & the buds is excellent. If I leave for work at 8 am, I have to put the master bud on to charge for 5 minutes around 3pm and the slave bud on to charge for 2 minutes just before I leave to walk home at 5. I'll then stick them both of for 30 minutes when I get home and I'll be done until bedtime.

- Whilst I'm sure music purists will be able to list off a load of technically better sounding headphones but the sound is excellent to my untrained ear. I know they'll be people who use Tidal because they can tell it sounds better than Spotify who'll say I'm wrong, but the sound is perfect for what I need.

They're also relatively waterproof & noise cancelling.

The only real downsides I've discovered are the microphone is a bit naff and I'm terrible at leaving the charging case on the bus.

Currently just £30 on Amazon too.

https://amzn.to/3p74BDA

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn't they come with a variety of squishy add-ons so you could pick the ones that best suit you?

No, I bought some, but no luck, I must just have odd earholes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£25 Amazon knock off's absolutely perfect.

I can tell you the make but they're upstairs and I'm not, I'll.hazard a guess they're all pretty much the same anyway.

They do all the bluetooth syncing I want, phone and MP3 player.
Work great for Teams meetings etc.

At some point over the years I found myself with one of those little bags of replacement buds.
It turns out all I had to do was mix and match until I found my ear size, completely different for each ear, now they're virtually unmoveable.

Best £25 I spent X years ago now.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I had been sceptical for a few years that wireless would be good enough but I eventually went for these and they have been great

https://www.jaybirdsport.com/en-gb/vista2.985-000934.html

No real problems, sometimes connection drops after about an hour of use but take out and put back in ears and they re-connect. Sound is good , fit good for running etc (for my ears), battery lasts for ages (I think 6 hours) and the case charges them when you return them to it.

Bit pricey so they are a commitment but I use them pretty much daily so I will get value out of them over time.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Comply foam tips fit better than any silicone ones and improve the sound quite astoundingly.

They're not for everyone, as they fill up your lug'ole, but if you're OK with that, they can make cheap earphones sound expensive.

Last edited:

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
i Like the amazon echopods, come with various adaptors as well as the various earbud sizes to stop them falling out. most likely will be on offer on the black friday sales next month

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, last year I wanted to invest in a pair but I didn't want to go straight in at the deep-end. I listen to a shit tonne of media, infact I'd probably put the amount of time I have headphones in a week comfortably north of 100 hours. A quick google of 'best budget wireless earbuds' returned a lot of results for the Anker Soundcore range at £40. A reasonable pricetag that meant I could dip my toe in the wireless earbud market and then if I liked them I would go out and buy a bigger, better pair. I still have a pair of Soundcores.

- They took less than 10 seconds to sync.

- The battery of both the case & the buds is excellent. If I leave for work at 8 am, I have to put the master bud on to charge for 5 minutes around 3pm and the slave bud on to charge for 2 minutes just before I leave to walk home at 5. I'll then stick them both of for 30 minutes when I get home and I'll be done until bedtime.

- Whilst I'm sure music purists will be able to list off a load of technically better sounding headphones but the sound is excellent to my untrained ear. I know they'll be people who use Tidal because they can tell it sounds better than Spotify who'll say I'm wrong, but the sound is perfect for what I need.

They're also relatively waterproof & noise cancelling.

The only real downsides I've discovered are the microphone is a bit naff and I'm terrible at leaving the charging case on the bus.

Currently just £30 on Amazon too.

https://amzn.to/3p74BDA]

Thanks. Interesting feedback.

Without going into too much detail. I'm currently looking at the Soundcore Liberty 3 pro as my first try with wireless. LDAC support is the big draw for me here, and the price point.

Just come on the market and recieving loads and loads of hype. I'm now very curious, and with a 30 day money back guarantee, I think I'll be giving them a try.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Comply foam tips fit better than any silicone ones and improve the sound quite astoundingly.

They're not for everyone, as they fill up your lug'ole, but if you're OK with that, they can make cheap earphones doing expensive.

I have them on my NF Audio NA2 wired IEM's. No brainer really.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have them on my NF Audio NA2 wired IEM's. No brainer really.

I have no idea what any of that means, so my advice is probably a little too remedial for you.

That said I genuinely had no idea people pay hundreds of pounds for these things - I have absolutely no idea (obviously I do) why someone would do such a thing.

After all the years of problem free decent quality wireless listening I've had mine, and Jnr his, breaking the bank makes even less sense.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have no idea what any of that means, so my advice is probably a little too remedial for you.

That said I genuinely had no idea people pay hundreds of pounds for these things - I have absolutely no idea (obviously I do) why someone would do such a thing.

After all the years of problem free decent quality wireless listening I've had mine, and Jnr his, breaking the bank makes even less sense.

It's a 'hobby'. Hence why I don't have time to watch films, let alone 'movies' :wink:

Bought some "ear bud" style devices at Trago Mills in Cornwall last year - £12.99 I think. Work fine for me but I only have cheap ears and don't do anything energetic whilst wearing them.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I use buddy buds think they were £50 . Great when flying as they last a long time & sync super quickly . Sound is good .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Don't buy the B&O E8 2.0's.. they're shite. Full to the brim of software issues. I'd know as I deal in the bloody things.

I use AirPod Pro's personally. Fantastic bits of kit.

If I was anti-Apple I'd be looking at Bose.

That's not the first time I've read that about the B&O's.

This is why I've held off from dipping my toe in the wireless waters for so long. Aside from knowing that they're not realistically going to compete with wired in terms of sound quality, it's the longevity and quality control that concerns me with wireless.

I won't be spending silly money on something that likely won't last more than a few years, due to battery life etc. Whereas once you've found a good set of wired that you like, look after them, and they can potentially last for years.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
That's not the first time I've read that about the B&O's.

It's the 2.0's which are awful... The '3rd Gen' ones are actually really good, but the preceding models shit the bed so badly it tarnished it for the newer versions...

I'm all for the AirPod Pro's personally. They're great. As it's my living I can buy some silly expensive ones at trade price then mark them as 'stock' and get the VAT back - but I really don't see the point.

I just had some Audeze LCD-X Wired Headphones and a Chord Hugo Headphone DAC pass through my hands.. We're talking thousands of pounds here - but I just thought to myself I could spend a fraction of that and get 90% of the experience.

Diminishing returns and all that...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here