Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Who do you think you are. Josh Widdicombe.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Does anyone else think The Last Leg is bloody awful

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It's at it's best when talking about para sport and at its worst when they do a sketch. They can have decent guests on but they don't give them enough time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How do you reckon that?

Your Grandma might have had a boyfriend your Grandad didn't know about. To be honest, even maternity is not certain, kids out of wedlock were often shunted to other branches of the family.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
if you are talking about paternity maybe but it was certainly easier to trace my mums paternal line back to 1650s... they all lived in the same town.
Pah I laugh in the face of your cosmopolitan elite family.

One grim January Sunday afternoon, out of sheer boredom, we signed up for an Ancestry free trial.

My paternal side lived in the same freakin house from 1800 and something.

20 minutes later I'm back to scratching my bollox and avoiding eye contact with the wife.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Your Grandma might have had a boyfriend your Grandad didn't know about. To be honest, even maternity is not certain, kids out of wedlock were often shunted to other branches of the family.

But I know (through DNA testing with cousins) that she didn't! It's possible to prove 5-7 generations with the DNA tests that Ancestry do, and further back on your father's side with Y-DNA tests, but your matriarchal line would be difficult.

But generally, going beyond 5-7 generations you can't have any certainly about the parents, which makes last night's episode a nonsense.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Go back a few generations in most people’s family tree and something interesting/Royal will reveal itself. They even managed to connect Danny Dyer to Royalty. It’s all a bit of a sham really.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

One grim January Sunday afternoon, out of sheer boredom, we signed up for an Ancestry free trial.

20 minutes later I'm back to scratching my bollox and avoiding eye contact with the wife.

Genital warts?

Do you have an astigmatism?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's just the same "history" that bored me at school. We each have about 65,000 14x great grandparents, so it wasn't really about Josh's family history, was it? And do you know how many of us are also descended from those same royal characters? Most of us. Would rather have heard about more recent generations.

Tough crowd!

As it happens I agree with your last point. Going back before the early 1800 is pointless. I went back to 1870 with my lot and lost interest at that point.

And, à propos of nothing, in the early 80s I worked in the same department as a lad from Zambia (just looked him up and he's a professor in the US now, bless him). Very dry sense of humour. He visited London in the late 80s and we met up for a beer. We got chatting about ancestry and I said I hadn't (at the time) traced mine back beyond my grandparents. He said "oh, I have". How far did you get, I asked him. "All the way to Lucy" was his reply. :lolol: Funny guy. :bowdown:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Go back a few generations in most people’s family tree and something interesting/Royal will reveal itself. They even managed to connect Danny Dyer to Royalty. It’s all a bit of a sham really.

Even according to WDYTYA, "A royal ancestor in your tree is more common than you'd think", and "Danny Dyer discovered that he’s descended from Edward III – but he’s not alone, as the king’s legitimate and illegitimate descendants of Edward III are believed to be in excess of four million. Some experts believe that practically everyone alive with British ancestry will have a connection with this king."

https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/getting-started/are-you-descended-from-royalty/

To be honest, I'm more interested in real people like my great-great-grandfather who committed bigamy while his wife was in a lunatic asylum. And how come another great-great-grandfather from Fife married a girl from Hampshire. In Durham. And all in a social history context. Definitely not royalty!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This classic being discovering (or not) that the big sister who looked after you most in your larger family was actually your birth mother.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Even according to WDYTYA, "A royal ancestor in your tree is more common than you'd think", and "Danny Dyer discovered that he’s descended from Edward III – but he’s not alone, as the king’s legitimate and illegitimate descendants of Edward III are believed to be in excess of four million. Some experts believe that practically everyone alive with British ancestry will have a connection with this king."

https://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/getting-started/are-you-descended-from-royalty/

To be honest, I'm more interested in real people like my great-great-grandfather who committed bigamy while his wife was in a lunatic asylum. And how come another great-great-grandfather from Fife married a girl from Hampshire. In Durham. And all in a social history context. Definitely not royalty!

Oh absolutely. Family history so much richer and interesting than the vast majority of monarchy related history. Which was interesting when we had invasions and warrior kings but fell into pretty “off the rack” and frankly repetitive stories after about 1700.

I’d much rather learn of bank robbers, highwaymen and crazed asylum sluts (no offence) than who made a deal with the Hapsburgs to marry off their daughter.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But I know (through DNA testing with cousins) that she didn't! It's possible to prove 5-7 generations with the DNA tests that Ancestry do, and further back on your father's side with Y-DNA tests, but your matriarchal line would be difficult.

But generally, going beyond 5-7 generations you can't have any certainly about the parents, which makes last night's episode a nonsense.

Boyfriend could have been another brother. DNA tests purely for interest in family trees should be left alone IMHO, what would have happened if your cousins DNA didn't match up? Nothing good can come of it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My Irish maternal grandmother slagged it up and had a child with a US serviceman while grandfather was fighting in Africa and sent the kid to be raised by Aunts (an aunt and her “live in friend”, old lezzas) in Dorking, half a mile away from where I lived for a couple of years. Only came out in letters found after gran’s death.
My grandfather came back form WW2 a pacifist, became a man of the cloth along with his brother who became Archdeacon of Belfast Cathedral.
One of our other Irish mob managed to gamble away our family fortune, eventually losing Doe Castle which was owned by the Vaghan-Hart side of our family, to gambling debt. I love a bit of disgraced gentry.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Boyfriend could have been another brother. DNA tests purely for interest in family trees should be left alone IMHO, what would have happened if your cousins DNA didn't match up? Nothing good can come of it.

Well, that's real life. But it does mean I wouldn't push anyone else to take a test ("encourage", maybe!), and anyone who does should be aware of the possible consequences. I didn't find anything unexpected, but I'd want to know.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My Irish maternal grandmother slagged it up and had a child with a US serviceman while grandfather was fighting in Africa and sent the kid to be raised by Aunts (an aunt and her “live in friend”, old lezzas) in Dorking, half a mile away from where I lived for a couple of years. Only came out in letters found after gran’s death.
My grandfather came back form WW2 a pacifist, became a man of the cloth along with his brother who became Archdeacon of Belfast Cathedral.
One of our other Irish mob managed to gamble away our family fortune, eventually losing Doe Castle which was owned by the Vaghan-Hart side of our family, to gambling debt. I love a bit of disgraced gentry.

About 100 years ago a paternal relation moved to Hastings.
I mean what the f##k is that all about.

Hastings, f**king Hastings.

I definitely wasn't gonna follow that wrong'uns linage.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Does anyone else think The Last Leg is bloody awful

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

When it started, as an add-on show the Paralympics it was great. The series that they did during the last Paralympics missed the immediacy and excitement of being the hub for the competitors, but still had its moments. All of the series outside of the games have had an awful lot of padding and the social media stuff has got weaker and weaker to the point of desperation. All three of the hosts are great when chatting among themselves and with guests, but are all completely terrible in sketches. This is not helped by the fact that the sketches, games etc are all poorly conceived and written. The show's heart is in the right place and it has done some really good stuff on highlighting previously under-discussed issues. I swing between really liking Adam Hills when he is honestly passionate about something that means something to him and finding him absolutely unbearable when he moves into the forced and very very bad pre-prepared stuff. I run for his namesakes whenever he looks like he's going to do a comedy song.

Overall, its very patchy, but has produced some decent moments in the live studio segments. I forgive it a lot for Johnny Vegas's involvement and I still laugh very hard at it's finest moment when he was just supposed to sit on the sofa and remain quiet whilst Hills did a trailer to camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMKWmmU63aU

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

if i go back about 6 generations the the eldest son inherited the farm and his descendant still live in the same house his siblings ended up being shipped off to work in the mines (the clay mines in St Austell)...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here