Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Charity asks Tory MP who confuses two ethnic minority ministers to step back from role

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58882238

Tory MP James Gray has been asked to step back from activities with a charity, after reports he mixed up two ethnic minority ministers at an event, saying "they all look the same to me".

The MailOnline has reported he confused then-vaccine minister Nadhim Zahawi with Health Secretary Sajid Javid.

Following the event, St John Ambulance said it did not "tolerate racism".

Mr Gray acknowledged that he mixed up the two men but denies saying "they all look the same to me".

Speaking to the BBC, the North Wiltshire MP said: "I think I said 'I mixed you up', something like that", adding that it was a "very silly non-story".

Last month, Mr Gray apologised for joking that "a bomb" should be delivered to the office of Labour Party chair Anneliese Dodds.

Speaking to the Mail on Sunday, he said: "It was a foolish remark," he told the Mail on Sunday, adding: "I meant no offence and hope none was taken."

But whatabout:

Earlier this year Labour's deputy leader Angela Rayner also confused Mr Javid - who has Pakistani heritage - with another politician - referring to him as "Sadiq Javid" apparently partly confusing him with Labour London Mayor Sadiq Khan.

My money is on one of them being a bit thick and the other a bit racist. All a bit disappointing, really :shrug:.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My money would be on both of them being very thick.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“ "they all look the same to me".

They both look like Tory *****? Maybe this is what he meant?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Mistake or racism or stupdity... we'll never know.

The only thing we can be relatively sure of is that this thread is going to the Bear Pit.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
He has denied saying Asian people all look alike . He said the two people he got confused looked similar which to be fair minus the beard there are strong similarities.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Look if he knows both MP’s fairly well, it’s nothing more than a misjudged comment, which 25 years ago would have been deemed amusing and harmless.

The part of the story that we don’t get told is how much work the MP puts into the said charity, if he’s does a lot, the only loser is the charity itself.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Another woke thread. My wife always gets everyone black,white ,brown muddled up and she is certainly not racist .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just for balance, someone on Pointless a couple of days ago, answered 'Ian Duncan Smith' when confronted with a picture of William Hague. I don't think it created any race-related consternation.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Just for balance, someone on Pointless a couple of days ago, answered 'Ian Duncan Smith' when confronted with a picture of William Hague. I don't think it created any race-related consternation.

I always get confused between Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg!
49B7DC92-2A77-4AF6-8501-32E9712A8BD1.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Look if he knows both MP’s fairly well, it’s nothing more than a misjudged comment, which 25 years ago would have been deemed amusing and harmless.

The part of the story that we don’t get told is how much work the MP puts into the said charity, if he’s does a lot, the only loser is the charity itself.

On the basis that they are letting him go I'm guessing his services are replaceable.

As for the comment, if he had said 'I get Sajid and Nadhim mixed up' is one thing thing but if, as reported, he said 'they all look the same' then that clearly isn't harmless and amusing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here