Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Owning an EV without a personal charger...

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Does anyone on here run an EV (not plug-in hybrid) but doesn't have their own off road parking and therefore no charge point?

I'm quite keen to make the move to EV possibly late next year and want to know if it's realistically possible. Articles I've read say it is as there are more and more charge points popping up where you can top up while shopping or having a meal etc. Also my place of work are planning to install them but I'm not banking on that.

Oh, if you're anti EV don't bother yeah?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Does anyone on here run an EV (not plug-in hybrid) but doesn't have their own off road parking and therefore no charge point?

I'm quite keen to make the move to EV possibly late next year and want to know if it's realistically possible. Articles I've read say it is as there are more and more charge points popping up where you can top up while shopping or having a meal etc. Also my place of work are planning to install them but I'm not banking on that.

Oh, if you're anti EV don't bother yeah?

I too would like to make the switch.. I am waiting for the infrastructure to get better. Also, I have been reliable informed that the range you get out of them is no where near the range that they quote you.

I am out for those reasons at the moment.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Owning without having your own charger seems a step too far to me . Also at the moment until technology improves I do not want the car to stop after 10 miles . All a bit pointless at the moment I feel . Stick to a good 4x4 diesel ..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I have one and lived without a home charger for a few weeks while I waited for it to be installed. Was a pain in the arse to be honest.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Owning without having your own charger seems a step too far to me . Also at the moment until technology improves I do not want the car to stop after 10 miles . All a bit pointless at the moment I feel . Stick to a good 4x4 diesel ..

Why would the car stop after 10 miles? Mine has a range of 300+.

In answer to the original post there are more and more charging points around however it is generally much more expensive than home charging. I probably wouldn’t have bought mine if I couldn’t charge at home.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I think it depends on what model you get and what capacity. We have an EV (Nissan Leaf) which round here, with the hills etc we can realistically get 100 miles on a full charge. We've got a home charger, and because we use the car probably 4 or 5 times a week for short journeys charge maybe 2 times a week. We do long trips from time to time, to see family in the midlands, and can do that charging twice (could do it with just one charge, but we're extra cautious). It only takes us an hour longer than it took us in our petrol car and costs us 1p a mile max. We've only once ever had to queue for a charging point.

We're looking at upgrading next year to one with more capacity, and also looking to move house in the next couple of years. We reckon if we can get a car with 200 miles+ capacity then we won't need a home charger anymore because the infrastructure is already good enough for the amount of mileage we do to charge once a week at a public charger (30 - 60 minutes stopped in a car park while we do the shopping) and we'd be fine.

There's loads of chargers around Brighton. The new buildings around Lewes Road Aldi have over 50 public charging points, Aldi itself has half a dozen, there's loads on the streets, increasing moves to get lamposts converted. A surprising amount of the country is the same. A lot of the stories about EV are just scare stories, but to answer your question if you've got one with enough mileage there's nothing to worry about not having a home charger.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I too would like to make the switch.. I am waiting for the infrastructure to get better. Also, I have been reliable informed that the range you get out of them is no where near the range that they quote you.

I know ranges aren't what manufacturers quote and it's the same with petrol and diesel cars. But you just have to make sure you have enough charge to get where your going and until you can charge again, much the same as using fuel.

I live in Worthing and work in Lewes and it's over 200 miles a week. Most EV's will do that easily with one weekly charge.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Some streets in London are getting ridiculous in the evening with cables all over the pavement a claim waiting to happen IMO. Also beware chargers are being sold with a 13A plug which are burning out sockets as they pull 16-20A I’ve changed three or four recently.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Why would the car stop after 10 miles? Mine has a range of 300+.

In answer to the original post there are more and more charging points around however it is generally much more expensive than home charging. I probably wouldn’t have bought mine if I couldn’t charge at home.

But still cheaper than unleaded...

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Some supermarkets up here (Cheshire) have charging points in the car parks.
Don't often see anyone using them. :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have one and lived without a home charger for a few weeks while I waited for it to be installed. Was a pain in the arse to be honest.

I'm considering getting an EV but haven't yet done much research ( actually any ! ). So as you have one :

1. How easy is it to get a charging point installed at home ( I have a private drive ) and how much does it cost ? Do all cars use the same ?

2. What's the deal on the batteries ? I've read that you effectively lease them and then have to pay for new ones after x amount of time ?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

Yeah I can imagine that to be fair. In my idealistic mind I would charge while having a nice cooked breakfast on a Sunday morning :lolol:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
A lot of the stories about EV are just scare stories, but to answer your question if you've got one with enough mileage there's nothing to worry about not having a home charger.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards thinking that and by the time I get one there will be hundreds more chargers.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Depends on the manufacturer (as it always has with ICE cars as well!)

I've got a 2020 Renault Zoe. They quote "up to" 245 miles range from the 52kWh battery. Earlier this year I did a few trips into London from Uckfield. That involved A22, M25, M40, A40 and then some roads around Baker Street to get to where we needed to be. So realistically, a good description of "mixed" driving. Weather in all cases was good.

I was getting almost bang on 245 miles range.

Where it all changes is in winter: once temperatures start dropping to the point you need to start using heating, and the days get shorter and your lights are on more frequently, the range will drop. A lot. I did a similar trip December last year (just not into London proper, only as far as Uxbridge). My estimate for range on that trip (it was also wet, so wipers running etc) was closer to 160 miles than 245.

Renault, for their part, are pretty transparent about this. They've got a range calculator on their site (it's rough and ready, but gives you a good idea) that clearly demonstrates the impact that weather, and having heating or air con on, will have on range.

Anyway: going back to the original question. Owning an EV without a personal charger:

I have a personal charger for mine. I've never in my first 12 months of owning the Zoe used a charger away from home. Lock downs and WFH have made that easy.

However: I could probably make it work without a home charger. My workplace (once I start going back) provides charging points already. And locally, if I need a cheeky topup, Tesco in either Uckfield or Lewes have chargers available. They are also free to use at the 7kW charge rate. Any Tesco with its own carpark will eventually have EV charge points (a lot already do).

You've also got the likes of Shell buying into EV infrastructure - they're currently converting a former petrol/diesel forecourt in Fulham into an EV forecourt. No use to us in the SE, but it's the direction things are heading. I heard Tesla are planning to make their charger locations available for non-Tesla owners as well (may have done already?)

Looking at timing - late next year would be a good time to start looking. Infrastructure rollout will be a bit further along. But ... you might be slightly too early for the next big step in EV tech. I've got 3 years left on my lease for the Zoe. Deliberately took a 4 year lease because I'm expecting the next big steps will begin appearing 2023 onwards. 2022 will be all about consolidating the gains made this year.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Some streets in London are getting ridiculous in the evening with cables all over the pavement a claim waiting to happen IMO. Also beware chargers are being sold with a 13A plug which are burning out sockets as they pull 16-20A I’ve changed three or four recently.

Should stop the pavements icing up, if the weather ever gets that cold again :rolleyes:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's like allowing bikes on trains. Only currently really works with miniscule numbers. Will never gain traction while it relies on a couple of token well-meaning power points in the street

seagull77

Aug 11, 2009
I went away with friends recently and he used a VW ID4 for a 300ish mile trip each way - lovely car and very comfortable. However, it has definitely put me off getting one for the time being - especially if you do longish distances. It's a pain having to find a charging point, then finding our it's broken, or being used - that waiting around drove me crazy. The range is meant to be 270ish miles and we didn't get anywhere near that with a full car and and doing 70+. We also charged in a car park and they charged for parking as well WHILST it was being charged!

Overall, I am going to wait for another few years - the infrastructure needs to get better first IMO

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm considering getting an EV but haven't yet done much research ( actually any ! ). So as you have one :

1. How easy is it to get a charging point installed at home ( I have a private drive ) and how much does it cost ? Do all cars use the same ?

2. What's the deal on the batteries ? I've read that you effectively lease them and then have to pay for new ones after x amount of time ?

1. Mine was easy. Cost about £200 I think (it's actually about £700 but you fill in a form online and get £500 covered by a government grant). I just contacted Podpoint and they sorted it out, took about 3 weeks to install.

2. No idea. Mine is a lease car on a 3 year contract, so assume it won't be a problem.

Have to say I love mine (e-Golf). It drives like a go-kart and I never have to set foot in a petrol station. Which has been particularly enjoyable the last few weeks. I've got a family (hybrid) car as well but for something to just drive the 15 miles to work and back every day an electric car is perfect. Mine says it will do about 130 miles, which it will if you are breaking regularly, probably more, in fact. But it won't get near that on motorways where you are just cruising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here