Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bands that were better in a reincarnation

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Following on from the Tull thread, can you think of a band you liked that 'rebooted' and became better? I'm going to suggest we stick only to bands with a catalogue of substance - that have been going 30 plus years.

I'd like to kick off with The Opposition. The Marcus Bell reboot (Love and Betrayal, Blinder) are streets ahead of the Mark Long dominated past stuff, even though I love Mark Long.

Sadly there are no Love and Betrayal or Blinder tracks on youtube. Marcus had stage fright and what looks to me like Aspergers (I exchanged a few emails) which is tragic not least because Love and Betrayal is such a stunning record. I don't know how to put music on youtube. Perhaps I should look into it.

This thread isn't going well :lolol: Apologies.

Edit - I found one track from Blinder. Shocking poor upload :down:

Here is one of their old tracks. The upgrade . . . .<sigh>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyp5sG5qpco

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When Rollins swapped out the very good early -mid 90's line up for Rollins Band with the band Mother Superior. **** man! Those guys could play. Saw Rollins Band in a few incarnations over the years but this was the best line up. Venues like Astoria and the Academy were the perfect size too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7oXHNV058

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hawkwind, Fleetwood Mac.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The most obvious one is for me is when The Yardbirds somewhat rebooted into Lez Zeppelin over time.

Also when Michael McDonald took over from Tom Johnston in the Doobie Brothers they changed their style and ended up bigger sales wise.

And for me when Sammy Hagar took over from DLR in Van Halen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Fall...sometimes. More reincarnations / reinventions than I've had hot pies. Some of them worked better than others, tho they were always interesting. As Mark E Smith once said "If it's me and yer granny on bongos, it's the Fall"

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Depends on whethere we're comparing performance or output.

Fleetwood MAc for example, V1 better than V2, Rumours aside. but not comparable really.

Love and Arthur Lee on the forever changes tour in 2002/3 was incredibly, must surely ecclipse anything they did live in period, but the song were the same.

The Stones got better post Brian Jones. The Faces were different to the small faces, but as a backing band got better.

Pretty Things, John Mayalls Bluesbreakers, Savoy Brown and the Yardbirds are all good examples of bands that morphed heavily over the years.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Genesis - Once Peter Gabriel left they got more poppy and commercial and made a ton of money

Marillion - Fish was there for 4 albums, Steve Hogarth has been there for 16 albums - some of their later stuff is incredible BUT everyone always remembers Fish..........

Sugarbabes...........a rolling line up but better output in later years

Take That - better once they came back as mature pop idols

McBusted - the absolute best of two bands and therefore the definite answer to the original question!!!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Beatles were better with Ringo than Pete Best

Peter and the test tube babies were better with Ogs than Trevor Rutherford drumming.

Dave Grohl replaced Chad Channing in Nirvana

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
But not better in fact without Gabriel and Hackett they were poorer.

note I didn't say better - I said popular.

I prefer the Gabriel stuff. Can't beat a bit of Trespass. Hence my love for Marillion which has definite early influences. listen to their epic Grendel

Now thats a song I would love see covered. Imagine Will Young banging out that 17 minute classic.......maybe not

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hawkwind, Fleetwood Mac.

Hawkwind similar to the Fall, so many lineups, some better than others, Space Ritual era probably the best but Spirit of the Age Tour 1977 was almost as good.

Not having that about Fleetwood Mac, they might as well have been a different band when the Yanks arrived. Peter Green was irreplaceable.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Tyranosurus Rex. Ditch the bongos, change the line up, shorten the name, turns the amps up

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here