Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    The Belew, Bruford, Fripp & Levin version of the mighty King Crimson. Could do all the 1970's classics plus the Discipline era stuff e.g.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by marcos3263 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Genesis - Once Peter Gabriel left they got more poppy and commercial and made a ton of money

Marillion - Fish was there for 4 albums, Steve Hogarth has been there for 16 albums - some of their later stuff is incredible BUT everyone always remembers Fish..........

Sugarbabes...........a rolling line up but better output in later years

Take That - better once they came back as mature pop idols

McBusted - the absolute best of two bands and therefore the definite answer to the original question!!!
      Christ.

Just the first suggestion had me rushing for the exits.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      Tyrannosaurus Rex to T Rex

Bugger, beaten to it by Pevenseagull

Try again

The Quarrymen to the Beatles

Blues Boys to the Rolling Stones

I really meant a band reinventing itself rather changing its name, lineup and direction.

I'll add a couple of others:

The Shamen. Their early stuff was extremely nodescript indie music, then they recorded Hyperreal

Likewise early China Crisis was borderline unlistenable, and then they recorded Wishful Thinking.

If you want a name change, then there is Y?, who later became Danse Society

Some interesting stuff on this thread (more interesting than the original post )

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      I really meant a band reinventing itself rather changing its name, lineup and direction.

I'll add a couple of others:

The Shamen. Their early stuff was extremely nodescript indie music, then they recorded Hyperreal

Likewise early China Crisis was borderline unlistenable, and then they recorded Wishful Thinking.

If you want a name change, then there is Y?, who later became Danse Society

Some interesting stuff on this thread (more interesting than the original post )
      You don’t think T Rex was a massive change of direction, reinvention and line up? The Quarrymen to the Beatles? You ARE a fecking weirdo

Spot the difference from the Hawks to The Band too!

Edit - maybe I have totally missed the point of this thread re reading your comments

Apologies!,
      Last edited by Icy Gull; 14-10-2021 at 18:04.
      "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."

1 Not allowed!
      Christ.

There was a programme on recently about Roxy Music and how innovative they were especially first two albums with Eno. Also how they influenced and were respected by punk bands and others. Sid Vicious loved them although he thought Ferry was a .u..t!
      General consensus was like Genesis they morphed into a bland but commercially successful band by the end.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      You don’t think T Rex was a massive change of direction, reinvention and line up? The Quarrymen to the Beatles? You ARE a fecking weirdo

Spot the difference from the Hawks to The Band too!

I didn't say it wasn't a massive change of direction. I said

Without
      Changing
      The
      Band's
      Name.

But let's not be picky. A reinvention, then, with possibly a band name change.

The Empty Vessels became Wishbone Ash. No, actually, that doesn't really interest me. Too easy. Perhaps I am a weirdo

Incidentally my pal and neighbour saw the Quarrymen and the Beatles live (the latter more than 20 times)

I thought of another band that reinvented itself to magical effect (albeit I liked the original incarnation): The Doobie Brothers when Michael McDonald joined. Also Thin Lizzy after Eric Bell left (success came with the twin guitar attack - saw them at Hammersmith Odeon; although I preferred the original)

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nitram View Post
      There was a programme on recently about Roxy Music and how innovative they were especially first two albums with Eno. Also how they influenced and were respected by punk bands and others. Sid Vicious loved them although he thought Ferry was a .u..t!
      General consensus was like Genesis they morphed into a bland but commercially successful band by the end.
      Indeed.

I love the first 2 Roxy albums and I love Avalon, but the rest is crap as far as I'm concerned. Street Life....Love is the drug

Japan were accused of copying Roxy Music. Odd that. I love Japan (not fond of the first 'glam rock' album, but after that....) and David Sylvian.

0 Not allowed!
      Talk Talk.

From decent-enough chart-friendly synth pop to the left-field landmark that is Spirit of Eden.
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.

0 Not allowed!
      Christ.

Me too, Hopefully this will make you feel better.

2 musicians from the start then eventually 4, became the best backing band in the land, and 3 of them are still at it nearly 55 years later.

Skip Bifferty (1967)
      Arc
      Bell & Arc
      Glencoe
      Loving awareness

That lot takes you to the mid 70's and then a Stiff tour before they were renamed
      Graham Potter & his all-passing, no-scoring performance art project.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
      Me too, Hopefully this will make you feel better.

2 musicians from the start then eventually 4, became the best backing band in the land, and 3 of them are still at it nearly 55 years later.

Skip Bifferty (1967)
      Arc
      Bell & Arc
      Glencoe
      Loving awareness

That lot takes you to the mid 70's and then a Stiff tour before they were renamed
      I didn't know that. And I am pretty sure I saw Glencoe support someone at The Dome. Could have been Argent. Calling @monty uk!

(Edit I was right, September 1973!)

I saw Ian Dury and the Blockheads on the stiff tour, in Brighton and at Drury Lane. I've also seen Watt Roy playing with Wilco Johnson (in Deal!). Didn't realise he's a Geordie.

OK since you obviously like a quizz:

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders
      Hotlegs

What comes next?