Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] The Onewatchables.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Scholars of my work will know a favourite podcast of mine is The Rewatchables.
Now over 200 episodes of eminently rewatchable films.

Anyhoo a question was posed last week:-

Which films are The Onewatchables?

These must be great films.
But films you have no intention of rewatching.

Their prime example being, Million Dollar Baby.

Remember this isn't just 'I'll never watch Cats again cos it's shitehouse'.
This is 'that was great, but I'll not be watching it again'.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Pretty much all films and books for me.

Music on the other hand? A completely different matter.

P.S. Never heard of... Million Dollar Baby.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Midnight Express.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pretty much all films and books for me.

Music on the other hand? A completely different matter.

P.S. Never heard of... Million Dollar Baby.

This really isn't the thread for you. Trust me. ???

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Wolf Creek for me. It was excellent but I found it really, really unsettling - pretty ironic, as I watched it during a quest to see whether I could find films that scared me the way we all used to be scared when we were kids. And dear reader, yes, yes I could.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looking into the future (I know, I know) I would add all of the MW Craven (if ever filmed). If we can extend it to TV I will add Cracker - and I even bought the DVD version (still in the cellophane).

OK, properly on topic: Blue Velvet. FFS.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
No Country For Old Men, loved it but definitely no desire to see it again. Not sure why as most films I enjoy I want to watch again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Million Dollar Baby is a great example. Cracking film - I've watched it precisely once.

Watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas with child 1. Will not be watching it with child 2.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is another. Nice wire work but it's no Kill Bill.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Schindlers list
Seven

Good call.

I suppose a Onewatchable can fall into different categories - upsetting first time and will be again forever after (Schindler's List is a great example); a film that relies on The Twist (The Sixth Sense perhaps? The Usual Suspects? though you might watch it again to see 'how it works'); something that would/might lose something of its joy the second time around (my mum has refused to see ET again since the 80s for that very reason, although I have and still cry at the flowers every time).

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Scholars of my work will know a favourite podcast of mine is The Rewatchables.
Now over 200 episodes of eminently rewatchable films.

Anyhoo a question was posed last week:-

Which films are The Onewatchables?

These must be great films.
But films you have no intention of rewatching.

Their prime example being, Million Dollar Baby.

Remember this isn't just 'I'll never watch Cats again cos it's shitehouse'.
This is 'that was great, but I'll not be watching it again'.

Not a single film but the Unbreakable trilogy I can't bring myself to watch again purely because I felt let down that the hero, David Dunn was killed in Glass.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good call.

I suppose a Onewatchable can fall into different categories - upsetting first time and will be again forever after (Schindler's List is a great example); a film that relies on The Twist (The Sixth Sense perhaps?); something that would/might lose something of its joy the second time around (my mum has refused to see ET again since the 80s for that very reason).

The twist element is definitely a thing.

Recently The Rewatchables made me rewatch Fight Club.
I'm pretty sure I'd seen it just the once, when it was released, it was certainly a different film knowing the twist.

I was looking out for the signs instead of just watching the film.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I was looking out for the signs instead of just watching the film.

I know what you mean. I saw Birdman having heard all about the one-shotness and the flying beforehand. I was looking out for how they did all this clever stuff rather than just watching the film, and I didn't really enjoy it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good call.

I suppose a Onewatchable can fall into different categories - upsetting first time and will be again forever after (Schindler's List is a great example); a film that relies on The Twist (The Sixth Sense perhaps? The Usual Suspects? though you might watch it again to see 'how it works'); something that would/might lose something of its joy the second time around (my mum has refused to see ET again since the 80s for that very reason, although I have and still cry at the flowers every time).

Yup... twist dependent movies are usually not really worth watching again. Like the ones you mentioned or 12 Monkeys or... well, there's a lot.

Same goes for movies where you actually see it because you wonder how it all will end, like Leon or Man Bites Dog. Quality movies and its not like I would scream from agony if I saw them again but wouldnt be the same thrill.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Another vote for Seven. Maybe it's because I found the ending a bit rushed and rubbish, but as soon as I finished it I thought to myself "that was pretty good overall. Now to never think about it again"

I'll also throw La Haine in too. A gripping 98 minutes - and it's nice to have added a sophisticated sounding film to my repertoire. But am I ever going to watch it again? Absolutely not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here