[Football] Paul Merson: Football and Gambling. BBC 1

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No can’t stand that idiot.

Woah! Harsh.

I heard the interview broadcast this afternoon. The boy (now man) needed help, not a kicking.

Are there gambling-unrelated reasons you dislike him?

Edit: that said, I'm watching the Wales game so the chance is I won't be watching.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Woah! Harsh.

I heard the interview broadcast this afternoon. The boy (now man) needed help, not a kicking.

Are there gambling-unrelated reasons you dislike him?

Edit: that said, I'm watching the Wales game so the chance is I won't be watching.
His reason for selecting Brighton for relegation ‘ I’ve never heard of any of their players ‘. A season after AK had left the club ‘ Why aren’t Brighton playing their best player Knockhaert ‘ :facepalm:

Poor old Jeff must be squirming every Saturday listening to the thicko.

As far as gambling goes he doesn’t seem any good at it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
His reason for selecting Brighton for relegation ‘ I’ve never heard of any of their players ‘. A season after AK had left the club ‘ Why aren’t Brighton playing their best player Knockhaert ‘ :facepalm:

Poor old Jeff must be squirming every Saturday listening to the thicko.

As far as gambling goes he doesn’t seem any good at it.

I shouldn't, but :lolol:

:bowdown:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
All I can say is betting companies are absolute scumbags

How on earth are our laws around betting so slack. Unforgivable

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Listening to the suicide stories from the relatives is horrendous.

Yep, really awful.

I've always thought Merson seems a decent guy at heart. Not the brightest tool in the box but he could play football a hell of a lot better than I ever could. Came across very well in the doc - very honest about everything he's been though and still going through, and clearly very keen to put the huge issues of the gambling industry in the spotlight.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s interesting the actual physiological long term effect on the brain from gambling, it’s physical! Genetic but also from conditioning.

On the other side of the coin from this brilliant documentary of punters gambling addiction, it’s remarkable to think that conversely, the large betting companies would have marketing gurus who’re experts at the psychological hooks, the lures with the sole aim of emptying a punters bank account.

Last edited:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

Capitalism at its absolute worst. These bookies have the ‘right’ to maximise their profits. Wetherspoons are the equivalent to alcoholics.

It doesn’t sit that comfortably with me that TB has made a lot of his money via this industry.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It’s interesting the actual physiological long term effect on the brain from gambling, it’s physical! Genetic but also conditioning.

On the other side of the coin from this brilliant documentary of the punters side of gambling addiction, it’s remarkable to think that conversely, the large betting companies would have marketing gurus who’re experts at the psychological hooks, the lures with the sole aim of emptying a punters bank account.

You have to wonder how on earth they sleep at night knowing exactly what they're doing. Utter, utter scumbags.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yep, really awful.

I've always thought Merson seems a decent guy at heart. Not the brightest tool in the box but he could play football a hell of a lot better than I ever could. Came across very well in the doc - very honest about everything he's been though and still going through, and clearly very keen to put the huge issues of the gambling industry in the spotlight.

I’ve always thought of him as a rubbish pundit, but absolutely all credit to him for that.

I’ve never understood addiction, least of all gambling as an addiction. I appreciate people can get chemically dependent on tobacco, alcohol, cocaine and so on. But gambling?

That was a real eye-opener. And the implications/accusations that the betting companies are preying on those they ought to be able to identify as addicts is terrifying. The stories about the suicides, as mentioned above, were heartbreaking.

I now have far more sympathy for “problem” gamblers than I have ever had before.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You have to wonder how on earth they sleep at night knowing exactly what they're doing. Utter, utter scumbags.

I ‘bet’ they don’t give a monkeys.

Tick the “When the fun stops ….” slogans, whilst reaping the colossal cash windfalls.

All advertising and sponsorship should be banned as soon as possible.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
Hard hitting program. I wonder how he feels with Sky and all the betting ads whilst he’s working. Understand he’s caught between a rock and a hard place, as he probably won’t get that salary anywhere else. Interesting it wasn’t brought up in the program.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’ve always thought of him as a rubbish pundit, but absolutely all credit to him for that.

I’ve never understood addiction, least of all gambling as an addiction. I appreciate people can get chemically dependent on tobacco, alcohol, cocaine and so on. But gambling?

That was a real eye-opener. And the implications/accusations that the betting companies are preying on those they ought to be able to identify as addicts is terrifying. The stories about the suicides, as mentioned above, were heartbreaking.

I now have far more sympathy for “problem” gamblers than I have ever had before.

Whats bloody scary with problem gambling compared to any other addiction is the sheer amount of money you can lose in a single day. Mind blowing really. I hadn't really realised how it effected addicts' mentally, either. Feel lucky to have never really been fussed about betting - always seen it as a mug's game but would never criticise those who do bet

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Whats bloody scary with problem gambling compared to any other addiction is the shear amount of money you can lose in a single day. Mind blowing really. I hadn't really realised how it effected addicts' mentally, either. Feel lucky to have never really been fussed about betting - always seen it as a mug's game but would never criticise those who do bet

That’s exactly my position - not fussed about gambling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here