Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] bureaucracy gone mad ?

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
We have some friends in Canada who to avoid the worst of the winter drive their motorhome down to one of the southern states at this time of year .In the e mail they sent today they told us that although U.S. citizens are allowed across into Canada by any means of travel Canadian citizens can only cross into U.S. by air and after certain tests and paperwork completed .
So they had to drive their motorhome close to the border , go by train to vancouver for the tests and documentation ,then return to an "international " airport and board a 6 seater cessna for the 8 (eight ) minute flight to the states !
Whereupon they rejoined their motorhome which had been transported across by a haulage company !!
I didn't dare ask how much it all cost but guess those winters must be pretty bad .

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
We have some friends in Canada who to avoid the worst of the winter drive their motorhome down to one of the southern states at this time of year .In the e mail they sent today they told us that although U.S. citizens are allowed across into Canada by any means of travel Canadian citizens can only cross into U.S. by air and after certain tests and paperwork completed .
So they had to drive their motorhome close to the border , go by train to vancouver for the tests and documentation ,then return to an "international " airport and board a 6 seater cessna for the 8 (eight ) minute flight to the states !
Whereupon they rejoined their motorhome which had been transported across by a haulage company !!
I didn't dare ask how much it all cost but guess those winters must be pretty bad .

Yes, that is exactly how it is. There are a few exemptions, though, such as nurses who can cross daily, which is lucky or Detroit's hospitals would be empty.

There is a rumour going around that the Yanks don't want to open the Canadian border any earlier than they have to, because if they do, they'll have to open the Mexican one as well. I have no idea if that has any truth to it.

But I was prevented from driving down to Ohio in my own little 4-wheeled bubble for a concert whereas I am allowed to fly to a gig in Colorado next month jammed in a tube full of people coughing and spluttering. Utterly illogical stuff.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Yep this is pretty common at the moment, and has been doing the rounds on the news.

I'd guess your friends are from my region, or closeby, where we have a lot of snow birds facing the same predicament.
A bit bonkers.

The winters here aren't too bad, pretty much the most reasonable winter climate in the country. But a lot of the older folk definitely like to head south for the sun and warmth, I don't blame them. I'll probably end up doing the same eventually.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

:rant:

Bloody northern snowbirds, coming down here, spending their money, using our sun, clogging our roads.

:censored:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Same here though. We’ve let the Yanks in as tourists for months now, but you still can’t travel to the US on an ESTA until ‘next month’ (date still unknown)

Is Mexico not open? I thought one way was in to the US was 10 days in Mexico to avoid the EU ban? I know Caribbean was one but thought Mexico was another route in as well

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Long johns? You wimp Marty! :rave:

According to Google, your location is 285km south west of me. Pretty much the tropics!

Do you folks even know what winter is!?? ??

(Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian based posters btw. 8 years here and still don't understand the holiday. But I do like a turkey dinner!)

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Happy Thanksgiving. Had our big dinner last night (broke traditions and had some duck instead).

Do any of you Canadian based lot head to the mountains for skiing in the winter?

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Happy Thanksgiving. Had our big dinner last night (broke traditions and had some duck instead).

Do any of you Canadian based lot head to the mountains for skiing in the winter?

Are you in/near the mountains, Stoneham? BC is beautiful!

My preferred skiing is the skinny kind - And I am fortunate to have trails on my doorstep - So no need. I have told myself that I should try a local hill this winter though. We're fortunate to have some beginner friendly hills around half hour away in a couple of directions.

Nut loaf for our Thanksgiving dinner tonight!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Are you in/near the mountains, Stoneham? BC is beautiful!

My preferred skiing is the skinny kind - And I am fortunate to have trails on my doorstep - So no need. I have told myself that I should try a local hill this winter though. We're fortunate to have some beginner friendly hills around half hour away in a couple of directions.

Nut loaf for our Thanksgiving dinner tonight!

Sounds very nice. I'm quite envious of the access to cross country skiing over your way and further east.
I'm in Kelowna, a few hours east of Vancouver and we've got a few big ski hills over this way.

Big White is my local hill, about a 45 min drive. It's very dry in the area so we don't see too much snow until we head out to the mountains.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Sounds very nice. I'm quite envious of the access to cross country skiing over your way and further east.
I'm in Kelowna, a few hours east of Vancouver and we've got a few big ski hills over this way.

Big White is my local hill, about a 45 min drive. It's very dry in the area so we don't see too much snow until we head out to the mountains.

I had a great fortnight in Kelowna a few years back for a wedding. Beauty spot with some great hikes! The drive from Calgary to Kelowna was insane!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
According to Google, your location is 285km south west of me. Pretty much the tropics!

Do you folks even know what winter is!?? ??

(Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian based posters btw. 8 years here and still don't understand the holiday. But I do like a turkey dinner!)

If I was ten km to the south or north, your point would be valid, but Pontypool is in its own snowbelt, on the top of the Oak Ridges moraine. We get winter when no-one else around here does.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. US border opening to Canadians in early November apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here