Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Scott, Gary Linekar, Gabby Logan, Gareth Southgate

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ue-signalling-football-world-speak-Qatar.html

And many others not coming out too well in this. Whilst the causes of gay rights and women’s equality are absolutely needed and wanted, this just shows that the message from the top is often only espoused as long as it suits and maintains the careers of the rich and famous.

And to those who might choose not to read the article because it is in the Dail Mail, you are also guilty of two faced virtue signalling.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ue-signalling-football-world-speak-Qatar.html

And many others not coming out too well in this. Whilst the causes of gay rights and women’s equality are absolutely needed and wanted, this just shows that the message from the top is often only espoused as long as it suits and maintains the careers of the rich and famous.

And to those who might choose not to read the article because it is in the Dail Mail, you are also guilty of two faced virtue signalling.

I would suggest that your posting of this article and subsequent accusations will hold the lions share of any virtue signalling associated with this thread.

I would only be guilty of virtue signalling if I told you that I wasn't going to read the article because it is in the Daily Mail.

I didn't so I'm not. :lol::lol:

(yes, yes I know I did - but to be honest I didn't not read it because it is in the Daily Mail, more because I predict that it will be a load of virtue signalling bollocks that turns to dust under the slightest examination).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not being someone who reads the Daily Mail (I was overcome with curiosity) I wonder if our OP could post the links to the quality journalism of the paper as it exposes the problems associated with Qatar mentioned in this article. I assume that as they are criticising others for their lack of action on this matter they must have done a whole lot of great work in drawing attention to these problems and driving change. I looked with interest to see if the Daily Mail themselves were going to boycott the competition and not report on the games, however, I must have missed this part (quite possible as I only skimmed the article as it appears to be of very low value).

I would also ask for the link that shows the paper apologising for their own counts of misogyny, homophobia and racism over the years.

Once I have these links then perhaps I can stop laughing, address the shocking virtue signalling in this article and suggest that they concentrate their campaign on the FA rather than their employee and presenters whose job it is to present their games. Personally, I am right behind any plan that suggests to the FA that they boycott the Qatar world cup.

Infact I will go further. All the time the Daily Mail boycott the world cup by not reporting on it, I will follow their lead and boycott it too. Who is with me?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
well , we've just witnessed the sale of a premier league club to an entity that has undeniable ties to the establishment of a nation that has an appalling human rights record and where women were only allowed to start driving a few years ago .....so clearly the cap only fits on the correct head as long as that head is suitably financed.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
well , we've just witnessed the sale of a premier league club to an entity that has undeniable ties to the establishment of a nation that has an appalling human rights record and where women were only allowed to start driving a few years ago .....so clearly the cap only fits on the correct head as long as that head is suitably financed.

. . . and what have Alex Scott, Gary Linekar, Gabby Logan, Gareth Southgate had to say about that!!!! :lolol:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I would also ask for the link that shows the paper apologising for their own counts of misogyny, homophobia and racism over the years.

A few years ago my brother's best mate died in an accident, or more correctly was killed because a business was negligent. The way the Daily Mail wrote the story though you could think the fact he was gay and had a boyfriend was the most important thing in the whole incident. It's weirdly like they thought their readers would be more interested in speculating about a lifestyle than actually reading the facts of a tragic case. God forbid, before the inquiry established the facts, almost implying his lifestyle might have contributed. Didn't like them before but I must now for sure be a two faced virtue signaller because I find their small minded, divisive, hypocritical rubbish totally nauseating.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
. . . and what have Alex Scott, Gary Linekar, Gabby Logan, Gareth Southgate had to say about that!!!! :lolol:

more to the point what have the Daily Nail got to say on the matter , all these ex player pundits are a bit of a bore in my opinion and the question of wether they go to Qatar or not is easy answered ........just stay in England and provide the commentary from home , save your employers some coin , BUT i think we all know what will happen , they're not going to miss out on the jolly are they.....not in a million years , hypocrites the lot of them.:rolleyes:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Excellent. I needed to set my watch, and a shit thread appearing from wellquickwoody that gets comprehensively ridiculed in just a few posts, is one of the most reliable things you can set a timepiece by.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
A few years ago my brother's best mate died in an accident, or more correctly was killed because a business was negligent. The way the Daily Mail wrote the story though you could think the fact he was gay and had a boyfriend was the most important thing in the whole incident. It's weirdly like they thought their readers would be more interested in speculating about a lifestyle than actually reading the facts of a tragic case. God forbid, before the inquiry established the facts, almost implying his lifestyle might have contributed. Didn't like them before but I must now for sure be a two faced virtue signaller because I find their small minded, divisive, hypocritical rubbish totally nauseating.

it sells papers and gets clicks unfortunately......a symptom of the world we live in today , when you have shows like squid game being the most watched show on netflix you know we are in a spot of bother.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh good. A thread full of people from Australia telling people in England what to think.

As expected the article is typical Hate Mail. Dog whistle whataboutery. Could have been written by cunning fergus while consuming his morning coffee and looking for a scrap.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

What an utter non-story, solely designed not to raise the issue of gay and women's rights in Qatar, but to have a dig at TV presenters and 'wokery'.

Why not just write about gay and women's rights in Qatar and put pressure on people to change? Why drag TV pundits into it?

The celebrities are dammed if they do (support gay rights campaigns, make TV documentaries on treatment of workers in Qatar etc) and and dammed if they don't (respond to a call from a MoS journalist).

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Excellent. I needed to set my watch, and a shit thread appearing from wellquickwoody that gets comprehensively ridiculed in just a few posts, is one of the most reliable things you can set a timepiece by.

despite the carrier the message is the same , i know you are a chap of reasonable intellect and Qatar has basically bought it's way into the game along with other emirate states who have questionable societal values ( by our standards :cool:) so one is unable to have it's cake and eat it.......can't help wondering if the rainbow arm band will be encouraged as not long ago there were rumours that certain hairstyles would be banned , and those travelling to the tournament are still wondering if they will be allowed to slake their thirst with a cold beer , another rumour is that only zero alcohol drinks will be available at the stadiums although "tourists" will be able to imbibe within the confines of their hotels.....Qatar World Cup ...?? it's a no from me and always has been , it was bought from the outset.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Oh good. A thread full of people from Australia telling people in England what to think.

As expected the article is typical Hate Mail. Dog whistle whataboutery. Could have been written by cunning fergus while consuming his morning coffee and looking for a scrap.

into the dog pit ...off the crossbar , well played sir......:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

if players were serious about gay rights they wouldn't go and if football as a "community" was serious about them the Qatar don't get a look in , all about the money i'm afraid.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
more to the point what have the Daily Nail got to say on the matter , all these ex player pundits are a bit of a bore in my opinion and the question of wether they go to Qatar or not is easy answered ........just stay in England and provide the commentary from home , save your employers some coin , BUT i think we all know what will happen , they're not going to miss out on the jolly are they.....not in a million years , hypocrites the lot of them.:rolleyes:

Not going to wait until they actually go before criticising them for going?

Personally, I would say that Gary Lineker is far more likely to boycott the trip than any Daily Mail journalists.

I suppose the most likely scenario is that they are all there together reporting and presenting to sport that that they are paid to report and present about. The only people with the power to actually do anything about this situation is the FA or FIFA. Why do the Daily Mail not direct their righteous (sic) indignation in this direction?

Totally hypocritical virtue signalling whataboutery non-story. Pick a few people that you have an axe to grind with and ask why they haven't commented on another story.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not going to wait until they actually go before criticising them for going?

Personally, I would say that Gary Lineker is far more likely to boycott the trip than any Daily Mail journalists.

I suppose the most likely scenario is that they are all there together reporting and presenting to sport that that they are paid to report and present about. The only people with the power to actually do anything about this situation is the FA or FIFA. Why do the Daily Mail not direct their righteous (sic) indignation in this direction?

Totally hypocritical virtue signalling whataboutery non-story. Pick a few people that you have an axe to grind with and ask why they haven't commented on another story.

if you read my subsequent posts i have answered that question....all about controversy and clicks i'm afraid ....the fact that Qatar has been given the tournament is a travesty , it was heavily questioned at the time and bribery was heavily implicated , people lost their jobs but the tournament remained in Qatar....all about the money

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I note the OP is still online but not offering any defence of his virtue signalling.

I think we have been done here lads.

???

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
What would be really cool is if companies refused to use the TV advertising space. FIFA have been shown to be a corrupt institution and the FA too scared to put it’s head above the parapet to make a stand against them. Football continues to be dragged into the gutter by incompetents whose priorities have nothing to do with the game.
Pity the Mail doesn’t address the important issues instead of stoking the wrong fires.

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
despite the carrier the message is the same , i know you are a chap of reasonable intellect and Qatar has basically bought it's way into the game along with other emirate states who have questionable societal values ( by our standards :cool:) so one is unable to have it's cake and eat it.......can't help wondering if the rainbow arm band will be encouraged as not long ago there were rumours that certain hairstyles would be banned , and those travelling to the tournament are still wondering if they will be allowed to slake their thirst with a cold beer , another rumour is that only zero alcohol drinks will be available at the stadiums although "tourists" will be able to imbibe within the confines of their hotels.....Qatar World Cup ...?? it's a no from me and always has been , it was bought from the outset.

It's a big no from me also sydney. Would be happy to see it boycotted.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What’s the Daily Mails opinion ? Will their own Sports writers be going ? Are they calling them out ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here