Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southend Utd pitch invasion

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Neither of them in the English Football Leagues now. Can remember playing both Wow - how our Club has progressed in such a short time.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They just sacked Phil Brown.

As he was siding with the fans, not sure that will stop the protesting.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What’s the story with the owner and why they hate him? Saw a zoom call with supporters where he started swearing at a bloke and calling him an idiot etc :lol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not only have Southend been on the slide, Phil Brown has come a long way (down) since that day he sat his players in the centre circle for their half time roasting ...............

That really was the beginning of the end for him.

Brave thing to do but not sure he should have done it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That really was the beginning of the end for him.

Brave thing to do but not sure he should have done it.
I thought it was brilliant at the time - so, IIRC, did the pundits, and obviously Phil Brown himself thought it was a good idea. Shows just how wrong you can be sometimes!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Neither of them in the English Football Leagues now. Can remember playing both Wow - how our Club has progressed in such a short time.

Home and away ???

They both thought they were 'bigger' than us. The knees up mother brown goal celebration music at sarfend was particularly unpleasant. As was the whole of Cheaterfraud.

Fuggem :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought it was brilliant at the time - so, IIRC, did the pundits, and obviously Phil Brown himself thought it was a good idea. Shows just how wrong you can be sometimes!

Yup. Thought so as well, and obviously its not necessarily what lead to his demise.

But thinking about it later I'm not sure publicly shaming your players makes the work harder for you or more eager to follow instructions..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yup. Thought so as well, and obviously its not necessarily what lead to his demise.

But thinking about it later I'm not sure publicly shaming your players makes the work harder for you or more eager to follow instructions..

I think it probably was. His team never looked the same again, stopped winning, got relegated and he got sacked - progressively lower and lower levels ever since. Anyway, there's some football on the tele now, somebody's trying to open up Andorra's box, I think ............................

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
What’s the story with the owner and why they hate him? Saw a zoom call with supporters where he started swearing at a bloke and calling him an idiot etc :lol:
As I understand it the owner wants to turn Roots Hall into a housing/shopping complex.
At least nothing like that could happen with Brighton.
I was there in 1956 when we won 2-1

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
As I understand it the owner wants to turn Roots Hall into a housing/shopping complex.
At least nothing like that could happen with Brighton.
I was there in 1956 when we won 2-1

They found a new site years ago and got a grant which they have already spent on non stadium matters.

They voted for brighton to be booted out the league don’t forget.

Here is the funny video with ron Martin

https://twitter.com/secondtierpod/status/1446782561951363073?s=24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Home and away ???

They both thought they were 'bigger' than us. The knees up mother brown goal celebration music at sarfend was particularly unpleasant. As was the whole of Cheaterfraud.

Fuggem :shrug:

In the early 90’s my ex-gf’s brother in law was Southend born n bred. So, you guessed it a Hammer, but he also liked his home town club because they were going through a mini renaissance.

He loved their position and mocked us (who were being quite deliberately destroyed by Archer).

Very common in our pre-Amex years. I worked with Arsenal, Manure and Hammer plastics (everyone Sussex born), who revelled in the Albion’s demise.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Anybody remember when we went to Southend in September 1987 ?
Seem to remember we invaded the pitch, we lost 2-1 i think, whole day was total mayhem

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Anybody remember when we went to Southend in September 1987 ?
Seem to remember we invaded the pitch, we lost 2-1 i think, whole day was total mayhem

I was just about to tuck in to my Haddock and Chips in that huge cafe on the seafront when from the amusements door swarms of Southend fans came in, I thought good job I'd got my grub before that lot came in, it didn't take long for me to realise they weren't actually there for the average fish and chips but trying to lay low.

10 minutes or so passed by and a hefty mob of Brighton fans walked past the Cafe and that was it , bloody wild west, luckily I'd manage to finish my lunch in time and avoided the ballistic ketchup bottles and wandered off to the pub just up the road from the ground, it was one of those days where no matter where you went there was trouble.

I really can't remember any pitch invasion perhaps in the left hand corner of the stand where there was some trouble and a few fans hurled themselves into the Southend bit but it may well have happened because I can't even remember getting home that night .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the early 90’s my ex-gf’s brother in law was Southend born n bred. So, you guessed it a Hammer, but he also liked his home town club because they were going through a mini renaissance.

He loved their position and mocked us (who were being quite deliberately destroyed by Archer).

Very common in our pre-Amex years. I worked with Arsenal, Manure and Hammer plastics (everyone Sussex born), who revelled in the Albion’s demise.

Someone at work (admittedly not a football fan) mocked the Albion when we were around 12 points adrift in the spring of 97. I said 'I bet you a tenner we stay up' and they wouldn't take the bet. I love a bit of mouth without trousers, me. Another one of those people who crossed me and came a cropper later....

I can understand someone with a dog in a fight taking pleasure at the competition's demise, but mocking as a casual bystanders is particularly unedifying. What was that Monty Python film where hangings had gloaters? Scum, aren't they?

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Someone at work (admiddedly not a football fan) mocked the Albion when we were around 12 points adrift in the spring of 97. I said 'I bet you a tenner we stay up' and they wouldn't take the bet. I love a bit of mouth without trousers, me. Another one of those people who crossed me and came a cropper later....

I can understand someone with a dog in a fight taking pleasure at the competition's demise, but mocking as a casual bystanders is particularly unedifying. What was that Monty Python film where hangings had gloaters? Scum, aren't they?

I love hearing @HWT karma stories, some are slow burners, they takes years to crystallise :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Someone at work (admiddedly not a football fan) mocked the Albion when we were around 12 points adrift in the spring of 97. I said 'I bet you a tenner we stay up' and they wouldn't take the bet. I love a bit of mouth without trousers, me. Another one of those people who crossed me and came a cropper later....

I used to put all the Save Our Seagulls and Bring The Albion Home type stickers on my rear windscreen back in the day. Parked up in Brighton one day two mid twenties walked past the car, one pointed at the stickers and said to his mate “Why bother” and they walked off laughing with each other about this highly amusing comment. I was so used to it I said nothing, why bother? :wink:

I hope they were Pompey fans

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I love hearing @HWT karma stories, some are slow burners, they takes years to crystallise :lolol:

This one took a few years, but it did end in a death (in which I played no role, as is always the way). That's all I'll say about that one.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I was just about to tuck in to my Haddock and Chips in that huge cafe on the seafront when from the amusements door swarms of Southend fans came in, I thought good job I'd got my grub before that lot came in, it didn't take long for me to realise they weren't actually there for the average fish and chips but trying to lay low.

10 minutes or so passed by and a hefty mob of Brighton fans walked past the Cafe and that was it , bloody wild west, luckily I'd manage to finish my lunch in time and avoided the ballistic ketchup bottles and wandered off to the pub just up the road from the ground, it was one of those days where no matter where you went there was trouble.

I really can't remember any pitch invasion perhaps in the left hand corner of the stand where there was some trouble and a few fans hurled themselves into the Southend bit but it may well have happened because I can't even remember getting home that night .

Where was PPF when you needed him? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here