Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Jethro Tull, Brighton Dome. Anybody on here go in September?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Since there is a Steve Hackett thread and nothing going on Albion wise for a week that isn't embargoed, did anyone go and see Jethro Tull?
I'm a lifelong fan which is probably why I couldn't face listening to a COPD raddled, vocally challenged and off key Ian Anderson with this particular version of Jethro Tull, which is just his touring band. To my ears, they are barely even Tull Lite, sounding like a bunch of adequate session musicians churning out the catalogue.
But can anyone tell me I was wrong and missed a cracking gig?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Which September are we talking about?

I did see Jethro Tull at the Dome , more years ago than I care to remember.
They were on fine form that night. We were all much younger then. ( sigh)

The Dome Autumn brochure dropped through my door last week. Page 4 showed Jethro Tull:The Prog Years on Weds 22nd September 2021.
Unless it was a review of the progress of the Seed Drill from an idea to the field, I'm assuming I missed the gig.
I somehow doubt they are still on fine form:(

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I saw them at the DOme sometime mid 90's. THey were good then, I'm only really a fan of their early bluesy stuff, This was is a great album.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Since there is a Steve Hackett thread and nothing going on Albion wise for a week that isn't embargoed, did anyone go and see Jethro Tull?
I'm a lifelong fan which is probably why I couldn't face listening to a COPD raddled, vocally challenged and off key Ian Anderson with this particular version of Jethro Tull, which is just his touring band. To my ears, they are barely even Tull Lite, sounding like a bunch of adequate session musicians churning out the catalogue.
But can anyone tell me I was wrong and missed a cracking gig?

No. Like you I loved Tull. I was a huge fan, especially of the early years, and bought all the albums. I'd heard a year or so ago that Anderson was well past his best and decided to not see them again. Maybe the rumours are wrong and I should go along and find out for myself, but the thought of seeing 'Jethro Tull' when the band are nothing more than just a struggling old man surrounded by unknown kids doesn't appeal.

I thought Anderson had decoded to stop using the Tull name anyway?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No. Like you I loved Tull. I was a huge fan, especially of the early years, and bought all the albums. I'd heard a year or so ago that Anderson was well past his best and decided to not see them again. Maybe the rumours are wrong and I should go along and find out for myself, but the thought of seeing 'Jethro Tull' when the band are nothing more than just a struggling old man surrounded by unknown kids doesn't appeal.

I thought Anderson had decoded to stop using the Tull name anyway?

Anderson was struggling when I saw them about 15 years ago, although I saw them once more when he toured TAAB2 a few years back. For the latter, he had a second singer who seemlessly tracked the higher notes in their older repertoire and made it enjoyable. Watch if you can bear it to a track or two on YouTube from the last five years and it's frankly a tough listen. He recently admitted to COPD and either he can't hear when he misses notes and goes off key or he just can't do it any more. It's sad but full marks I suppose for soldiering on. But I just don't rate his backing band whether he calls them Tull or not. Same musicians, but they are like session musicians. Not young, talented, but just rather dull.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anderson was struggling when I saw them about 15 years ago, although I saw them once more when he toured TAAB2 a few years back. For the latter, he had a second singer who seemlessly tracked the higher notes in their older repertoire and made it enjoyable. Watch if you can bear it to a track or two on YouTube from the last five years and it's frankly a tough listen. He recently admitted to COPD and either he can't hear when he misses notes and goes off key or he just can't do it any more. It's sad but full marks I suppose for soldiering on. But I just don't rate his backing band whether he calls them Tull or not. Same musicians, but they are like session musicians. Not young, talented, but just rather dull.

Hear for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KHbigXdt-w

Sounds ghastly, vocally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here