Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Professional Football Players - COVID Vaccinations

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Lots of talk at the moment about players not taking up the vaccine.

Yes it is a personal preference, but should clubs/country insist their players be double jabbed ?

Controversial I know, but in my opinion, if you are a pro footballer travelling the world, you should be vaccinated.

This thread is solely about pro footballers being vaccinated and not the man on the street like you and I so please keep the debate about that

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes they should. they had the privilege of carrying on their profession when many were out of work. they owe people to do what they can to protect themselves, team, staff and fans from any further spread.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There have been a couple of other threads on this.

Bottom line: if you are going to insist that your fans have had a vaccination to enter the stadium (correctly in my opinion) then you should also insist that the staff in the same venue have too; barstaff, stewards, medics, coach drivers, coaches and physios and players.

Otherwise it's massively hypocritical - but then welcome to the Premier League.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Clubs should ensure their players are not going to unnecessarily jeopardise their likelihood of appearing in games. In the same way they don’t allow them to go rock climbing on Beachy Head they should also insist on jabs IMHO.

And if they can’t I think there’s no plausible reason why we can’t have Superstars back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Difficult to see how clubs can do much about it - if they try the PFA and all manner of contract lawyers would be all over them like a rash - but at national level? If Southgate wasn't made of jelly (justifying all the stupid reasons players won't get vaccinated (along with a couple of valid ones)) he could send all players who refused to get jabbed back to their clubs with the message that they're too selfsh to represent their country.
Might weaken the team a bit, but not crucially - there's a lot of players much of a much-ness available for England - and as, of course, no player has the right to play for his country, the lawyers would be keft entirely impotent. Won't happen though

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
There have been a couple of other threads on this.

Bottom line: if you are going to insist that your fans have had a vaccination to enter the stadium (correctly in my opinion) then you should also insist that the staff in the same venue have too; barstaff, stewards, medics, coach drivers, coaches and physios and players.

Otherwise it's massively hypocritical - but then welcome to the Premier League.

Sorry GB didn’t realise there were any other specific threads about the subject- please merge if needed.

Was an impulse thread after listening to Southgate on SSN.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
FFS these players are earning more in a week that the average fan earns in a year - get jabbed you overpaid cvnts or you don’t get picked for your team or your country!

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I believe it’s their choice but if they then don’t and have to self isolate for ten days as per current rules then it should be on no pay. Why should our club pay them to sit at home for ten days when if they were vaccinated they could be back training within a day?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
FFS these players are earning more in a week that the average fan earns in a year - get jabbed you overpaid cvnts or you don’t get picked for your team or your country!

Maybe they dont want to.

A few quite clearly sucked in by social media. There isn't much more to say.

The vast majority on social media (and the vast majority of people) want people to get vaccinated, so perhaps it is a case of not getting sucked in by social media. The horde says "vaccinate!", defectors say the opposite. Pro-vaccine is the norm.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The vast majority on social media (and the vast majority of people) want people to get vaccinated, so perhaps it is a case of not getting sucked in by social media. The horde says "vaccinate!", defectors say the opposite. Pro-vaccine is the norm.

The majority view is irrelevant since social media fuels confirmation bias. However left field your world view is, you will find thousands of others with the same irrespective of others.

The weekly existence of a footballer is "odd" compared to the rest of us. Very young millionaires, very much in the public eye, their "work" judged on 90 mins, on one day a week for half the year. We even call them out when they do "normal things" like a visit to the supermarket.

It isn't surprising to me that many tend to find "empathy" with other footballers only and this is how trends and beliefs spread very easily within the group.

Mostly it is positive, for example a seemingly almost universal stand against racism, but often it is negative like boredom, mental health issues and addition to gambling etc...

So it isn't surprising to me that resistance to taking a vaccine can spread easily amongst a small but significant minority.

Statistically amongst their age group (rather than their profession) I wouldn't be surprised that resistance to being vaccinated is higher than the norm just as it is to gambling addiction.

I've spoken to a number of people who refuse to be vaccinated. They use the same reasons and vocalise it in very very similar ways.

In the same way people now use terms like "optics", "narrative", "binary", "mainstream media" etc.. they learnt to speak like that from Twitter and Facebook.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This.

FFS

:facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, but don't forget we are dealing with (often) teenagers or those in their early 20s.

I've no idea at all how I would have reacted to being vaccinated at that age. There wasn't the internet, but I was so stoned I barely remember anything.

I don't think being stoned is their reason.

Being thick, is more likely.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't think being stoned is their reason.

Being thick, is more likely.

Not that different though, beyond the ability to run up the wing without a craving for a club biscuit.

My group think at that age was to:

1) "Borrow" the dinner ladies uniform from University
2) Dress up in them.
3) Top it off with a sombrero
4) Try and break into British Nuclear fuels for a laugh.
5) Spend the next few hours running away from the police.

I wasn't directly involved in that escapade, but I met them on the a motorway flyover whilst (also very very stoned) carrying a "saved" hedgehog.

I don't remember much, but I remember that night....

It's very difficult for me to look back at that age and throw vaccination into the mix. If you are the same age, a millionaire with the world at your feet with a limited education, I'd imagine its quite easy to make up your own reality.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not that different though, beyond the ability to run up the wing without a craving for a club biscuit.

My group think at that age was to:

1) "Borrow" the dinner ladies uniform from University
2) Dress up in them.
3) Top it off with a sombrero
4) Try and break into British Nuclear fuels for a laugh.
5) Spend the next few hours running away from the police.

I wasn't directly involved in that escapade, but I met them on the a motorway flyover whilst (also very very stoned) carrying a "saved" hedgehog.

I don't remember much, but I remember that night....

It's very difficult for me to look back at that age and throw vaccination into the mix. If you are the same age, a millionaire with the world at your feet with a limited education, I'd imagine its quite easy to make up your own reality.

I still think the unvaccinated footballers are wankers, though.

Nighty night :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I still think the unvaccinated footballers are wankers, though.

Nighty night :thumbsup:

The majority view is irrelevant since social media fuels confirmation bias. However left field your world view is, you will find thousands of others with the same irrespective of others.

The weekly existence of a footballer is "odd" compared to the rest of us. Very young millionaires, very much in the public eye, their "work" judged on 90 mins, on one day a week for half the year. We even call them out when they do "normal things" like a visit to the supermarket.

It isn't surprising to me that many tend to find "empathy" with other footballers only and this is how trends and beliefs spread very easily within the group.

Mostly it is positive, for example a seemingly almost universal stand against racism, but often it is negative like boredom, mental health issues and addition to gambling etc...

So it isn't surprising to me that resistance to taking a vaccine can spread easily amongst a small but significant minority.

Statistically amongst their age group (rather than their profession) I wouldn't be surprised that resistance to being vaccinated is higher than the norm just as it is to gambling addiction.

I've spoken to a number of people who refuse to be vaccinated. They use the same reasons and vocalise it in very very similar ways.

In the same way people now use terms like "optics", "narrative", "binary", "mainstream media" etc.. they learnt to speak like that from Twitter and Facebook.

Probably. I have no plans on getting vaccinated.

There is no reason for the people in my generation to believe what "academics", media, politicians, governments and average-Joes are pushing for. We know they all pushed for growth and capitalism, and now we are facing the sociological and environmental consequences. We know how they pushed for competition rather than collaboration. We know how it pushed for a whole lot of shit now affecting us in very bad ways. So when you're out there saying "you all should get vaccinated", its not very tempting. We prefer to contemplate rather than blindly follow those footsteps, knowing how often you got lost.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Probably. I have no plans on getting vaccinated.

There is no reason for the people in my generation to believe what "academics", media, politicians, governments and average-Joes are pushing for. We know they all pushed for growth and capitalism, and now we are facing the sociological and environmental consequences. We know how they pushed for competition rather than collaboration. We know how it pushed for a whole lot of shit now affecting us in very bad ways. So when you're out there saying "you all should get vaccinated", its not very tempting. We prefer to contemplate rather than blindly follow those footsteps, knowing how often you got lost.

But you have conveniently missed out medical professionals, who are also pushing for vaccination, who haven't had anything to do with capitalism and growth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here