• I'd give up my season ticket but still support the club

Votes: 43 14.1%
  • I'd performatively flounce out but be back in 6 months

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • I'd stop buying club merchandise but still show up at games

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • I'd not change anything to how I currently do things

Votes: 76 24.9%
  • I'd be all in - We're winning the Quadruple baby!

Votes: 12 3.9%

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hypothetical based on responses on the Newcastle thread, would be intrigued to see how people would react if instead of St James' Park they were shaking hands with our Tony and he was handing over the keys to the training ground and stadium to them

(Poll to follow)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The problem with the question as posed is that it's not like-for-like.

Tony Bloom-owned Albion being bought out by Saudis, is not quite the same as a Mike Ashley-owned Newcastle being acquired.

We adore uncle Tony, whilst the Geordies despise Ashley.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd walk away.
I'd still consume football through the Football Weekly, and other podcasts, but I'd no longer have a distinction between one club and all the others.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The thing is, it is any better them taking over another club, rather than ours, given that it's all the football family and we're all in the same system.
It's just another nail in the coffin along with the loss of terraces, the formation of the Premier League, etc.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Tough call, and one I and many others would struggle with, how can you walk away from a club you have in your bones, it means so much to me, I protested before and would again. I think protesting against a takeover would ultimately fail with so much money involved.

I would probably protest, and if unsuccessful, I would with a very heavy heart never go back, if you feel so strongly about certain issues in the world, you have to stand by them and make a stand. I would obviously look for their results, but support another league team would be very hard to do, the passion would not be there, more importantly the history I have with the Albion. I would be extremely upset, possible lead to depression and heavy drinking for a while...

I would either give up on football or support a team with good ethics like Lewes, I doubt I could watch football with the same enthusiasm, and probably struggle for a while.

I would be heartbroken.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not quite as bad as Wimbledon moment but close

I'd turn from an Albion fan to a reluctant follower, I certainly could never wear the shirt again until we were in different ownership.

I would happily engage in any campaign to have them removed as owner

If an AFC Seagulls formed I'd be onboard

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It would be like an extreme version of Archer married to success on the pitch

I would protest strongly for the entire time they were in charge.

But I can't stop supporting my club

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'd be gone from Brighton and I think that I'd be gone from football. We're all complicit in our agreement that something meaningless has meaning as we all get mutual benefit. If something existential was to shatter that illusion, for me, there would be nothing left to gain from creating another. John Oliver's much shared piece on Fifa explains the feeling of being in thrall to people who's morals you despise because of their ownership of something you love. To me personally, if the connection with such immorality became too great to ignore, the only way out would be to say goodbye to the thing that I love and try to forget about it completely.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It would be the excuse I need to step away from attending live matches, and I'd probably go back to the semi-detached engagement I had prior to 96.

Actually.....I'd probably give it a go for a bit and see what transpires. I really love watching the Albion, and the match day malarkey.

One of my brothers has flounced from society because he thinks labour isn't left wing enough and.....I don't think that's the way forward.

So....I really don't know. It isn't going to happen though, so **** it.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The thing is, it is any better them taking over another club, rather than ours, given that it's all the football family and we're all in the same system.
It's just another nail in the coffin along with the loss of terraces, the formation of the Premier League, etc.

This is exactly how I feel. We can just go ‘oh aren’t Newcastle terrible but aren’t we such a wonderful club’.
We are all in it. Just in the same way we’d protest a lower league chairman, or donate to a non league trust etc.
Easy to turn a blind eye when you’re now one of the big boys though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Obviously the poll question posed is what would you would do if the takeover was complete. Not sure protesting at that point is particularly worthwhile.

I'd like to think that the protests would be raging amongst Albion fans, at the point that a potential takeover was revealed. that we'd go all out to show the proposed new regime that they were not welcome, in the hope of changing Tony's mind about selling to them, or their minds about coming.

I'd like to think that rather than besieging the Premier League / Richard Masters / the media / the courts in anguish AGAINST the BLOCKING of a takeover, as the spineless entitled Geordies have done, we'd be following all those same avenues in attempts to garner means TO BLOCK the takeover.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think that our history has given us a higher than average sensitivity to the significance and implications of who our owners are and their motivations, which won't offset them having a bottomless pit of cash. Anyone that came in with no previous link or affinity to the club would rightly be treated with a high degree of mistrust, never mind someone as dodgy as Newcastle's new owners.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The problem with the question as posed is that it's not like-for-like.

Tony Bloom-owned Albion being bought out by Saudis, is not quite the same as a Mike Ashley-owned Newcastle being acquired.

We adore uncle Tony, whilst the Geordies despise Ashley.

But is Ashley that bad? Not the best owner but hardly comparable to Archer & Belloti

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Obviously the poll question posed is what would you would do if the takeover was complete. Not sure protesting at that point is particularly worthwhile.

I'd like to think that the protests would be raging amongst Albion fans, at the point that a potential takeover was revealed. that we'd go all out to show the proposed new regime that they were not welcome, in the hope of changing Tony's mind about selling to them, or their minds about coming.

I'd like to think that rather than besieging the Premier League / Richard Masters / the media / the courts in anguish AGAINST the BLOCKING of a takeover, as the spineless entitled Geordies have done, we'd be following all those same avenues in attempts to garner means TO BLOCK the takeover.

I'd fancy us to see them off as well.

The whole idea is to sportswash. In Toon fans they've hit on the perfect crowd of ignorance and desperation.

A club where some of the supporters aren't utterly ignorant or indifferent about what's going on in the outside world would be far less of an attractive buy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here