Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Holiday in Bahrain?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
In a nutshell, Mrs Nose is pretty 'front line' in critical care for the NHS at the local Hospital, she hasn't had a holiday for coming up to 2 years as she's been working mercilessly doing 12 hour shifts (which almost always became 14 hour shifts) thanks to you-know-what, she's burnt out - as am I, and we've saved like mad throughout COVID. We now have a small holiday fund, which we feel very lucky to have - and we both need a break.

She's managed to book a week off in late November so I was looking at cashing in some of the miles and rewards I've accrued on my credit cards (to save money) on BA flights. I did our house up during lockdown (never again) but managed to spend enough to get given a '2 for 1' Voucher, too. So, in a nutshell, I've just bagged a couple of flights to Bahrain, of all places. It's 24 degrees there, and that's what we want... Some sun on our wrinkly arses please. Thank you.

Everyone I've mentioned Bahrain to this evening has made it sound like if you put your hand on your wife's shoulder you'll be arrested, the hotels will be sand-huts, and there's as much to do there as a holiday in the Shetland Isles. From reading up online I don't think this is the case? Is it?

Over to our travel experts, the equivalent of Judith Chalmers in Blue and White Stripes, to furnish me with some of them there Bahrain facts. :hilton:

I will not be turning the country off and on again, nor will I be made to feel like I'm showing off, but all piss takes will be welcomed as long as I get some solid advice. Any Albion themed or heavily Seagulls biased bars or hotels will get my business btw. :bhasign:

:smokin:

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In a nutshell, Mrs Nose is pretty 'front line' in critical care for the NHS at the local Hospital, she hasn't had a holiday for coming up to 2 years as she's been working mercilessly doing 12 hour shifts (which almost always became 14 hour shifts) thanks to you-know-what, she's burnt out - as am I, and we've saved like mad throughout COVID. We now have a small holiday fund, which we feel very lucky to have - and we both need a break.

She's managed to book a week off in late November so I was looking at cashing in some of the miles and rewards I've accrued on my credit cards (to save money) on BA flights. I did our house up during lockdown (never again) but managed to spend enough to get given a '2 for 1' Voucher, too. So, in a nutshell, I've just bagged a couple of flights to Bahrain, of all places. It's 24 degrees there, and that's what we want... Some sun on our wrinkly arses please. Thank you.

Everyone I've mentioned Bahrain to this evening has made it sound like if you put your hand on your wife's shoulder you'll be arrested, the hotels will be sand-huts, and there's as much to do there as a holiday in the Shetland Isles. From reading up online I don't think this is the case? Is it?

Over to our travel experts, the equivalent of Judith Chalmers in Blue and White Stripes, to furnish me with some of them there Bahrain facts. :hilton:

I will not be turning the country off and on again, nor will I be made to feel like I'm showing off, but all piss takes will be welcomed as long as I get some solid advice. Any Albion themed or heavily Seagulls biased bars or hotels will get my business btw. :bhasign:

:smokin:

70% is shite and most of the rest Sunni and an interesting mix of Asian expat workers. With Sunni leaders that makes it oppressive. I used to drive over for weekends from Riyadh twice a year. 100% humidity, shallow sea round your ankles and not much fun. It will be down to the hotel you choose.

If bored you could drive on the 15 mile King Fahad Causeway bridge and plant a Sunderland flag on the Saudi Border post.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
You are thinking of spending your hard earned money by going on holiday to Bahrain ! Are you being serious or are you joking ?

Bahrain has one of the worst human rights records in the world . Take a look at the data from human rights watch.

If you want a decent holiday in the winter , without horrific human rights abuses , with decent weather , high standard of hotels and a nice seafront & beach then go to Tenerife. Make sure you stay in the Costa Adeje area . Lots of high standard 4 & 5 star hotels . Lovely warm people , nice food and crystal clear bathing water , high end shops & decent local restaurants not selling egg and chips .

Last edited:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Spent many months there in the RAF as long as you choose a hotel with good facilities it should be OK

Get advice on what areas are safe, ( normally noted by flags)

Only bars are in hotels.

Hotels have good restaurants and there are some decent shops and Souks

Hotels and Bars get invaded by NON Drinking!!!! (Hypocritical) Saudis driving over the causeway on their weekends, best to avoid.

Having said that Bahrain is not somewhere I would pay to go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why not go to Dubai ? BA have upped capacity for November & December so should be good reward availability

At least there should be more to do and a bit ‘looser’ than Dubai.

Or yes Canaries is a shout

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I've only ever been for a couple of work meetings, but one of my colleagues is originally from there. I asked her for a list…

Tourist sights
Bahrain Fort
Pearl Museum
Manama Souk
Military Museum
Royal Camel Farm
Gold Souk
Al Fateh Mosque
Tree of Life – national landmark, basically a 400-year old tree in the middle of nowhere. Gets lit up at night.
Bahrain Museum, from here you can also take the boat to Bu Maher Fort

Activities
Marasi Beach
Paddleboarding on Bahrain Bay
Gravity indoor skydiving
Solymar or Reef Club – beach clubs: so pools, beaches with loungers and watersports, plus food and drink, music etc. Good bet if you just want a day of sun and chilling.

Eating and drinking
Emmawash for cheap traditional Bahraini food – go for breakfast.
Adliya – a street with cafés, restaurants and pubs
The Avenues – mall with shops and restaurants by the water
Cafe Sego – good for coffee and snacks
Florence – Italian restaurant
Water Garden City – new development with marina and cafés
Escobar – happy hour 5–8pm every day
Attic – Greek food, good for music
McGettigans – pub chain that's across the Middle East. Likely to be showing football etc. 2-for-1 deals Thur/Fri 3–8pm
Alto Rooftop Lounge – good views, nice spot at night
Hazel – good music
Kyro – does good deals like steak night Tues, pasta night Sat, 2 meals and wine for a set price etc, ladies night on Wed with 3 free drinks for women
JJs – Irish Pub unlimited drinks for a set price on Sat, Sun, Tues, Wed

Good luck. TBH it's not somewhere I'd ever really pick if coming to this part of the world, but hopefully the above will help you make the most of it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Why not consider Oman, beaches, reefs, mountains, deserts and culture

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You are thinking of spending your hard earned money by going on holiday to Bahrain ! Are you being serious or are you joking ?

Bahrain has one of the worst human rights records in the world . Take a look at the data from human rights watch.

If you want a decent holiday in the winter , without horrific human rights abuses , with decent weather , high standard of hotels and a nice seafront & beach then go to Tenerife. Make sure you stay in the Costa Adeje area . Lots of high standard 4 & 5 star hotels . Lovely warm people , nice food and crystal clear bathing water , high end shops & decent local restaurants not selling egg and chips .

Got to say, I don't often agree with [MENTION=34864]Live by the sea[/MENTION] .... but on this occasion THIS. The quicker the Brits (mainly) get out of this addiction of going to Dubai etc the better. I'm sure landscape wise and service wise ( actually I know service wise it's a great area as my brother went a number of times ) it's great. You won't see me set foot in any of those countries that treat human rights so flippantly. And don't even get me started on Saudi Arabia !

EDIT - Also, Mrs WS and I aren't actually married and so wouldn't be able to share a hotel room ..... stuck in the stone age !

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The weather and water should be lovely in November. Bahrain is a good shout - more chilled and not as much going on as UAE but second place in my opinion in countries to spend holiday time in the region.

Some very decent restaurants there attached to the hotels (Cut Bahrain at the Four Seasons) and some great hotel options such as Merchant House

There's also Kebab Alley - what it says on the tin...and Block 338 (the restaurant district) for non hotel options

and this new amphitheatre opening...https://www.aldana.com.bh/

Enjoy sounds like Mrs Nose deserves a break

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I have never been, but I think the fact that you are willing to go to an off the beaten track destination is excellent.

A week in Bahrain sounds much more interesting than the usual Tenerife, Costa Brava, Magaluf options.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Only time I've ever been there was to stop for the plane to refuel en-route to the southern hemisphere. My mate who works in baggage handling there says it's shithouse!:D

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only time I've ever been there was to stop for the plane to refuel en-route to the southern hemisphere. My mate who works in baggage handling there says it's shithouse!:D

Same. Wasn't really expecting a refuelling stop en route to Goa. Blotted my copybook with the barman in the transit lounge bar by innocently enquiring which country Bahrain was in :down:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Friends and colleagues have been for the F1 and had a great time there. Not sure I would entertain it as a traditional holiday.

Would rather go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi in that region where we have been for cricket tours and short breaks over winter.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I recall meeting colleagues from the region for a conference thingy there.

We arrived from the airport at various times, the Sherlock Holmes pub with red phone box was the place. There I was told about the Causeway, and being Thursday afternoon it was busy with traffic heading over from Saudi for a weekend of R&R!

Ruined it all by getting drunk on Chivas Regal and being sick in the hotel bed, I do recall it was the night of Holland v England when Koeman should have seen red and Taylor told the lino he's cost him his job.

Happy memories, and thanks to the hotel staff for tidying the bed!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Before yet another poster advises the OP to go somewhere else, he has already bought the flight tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here