Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] FFS Peru still on red list

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Booked a flight only, six weeks backpacking around Peru with Mrs Shingle in late jan/feb/early march. Peru covid rates are really low, yet it's only one of seven countries still on red list.

Why :shrug: bollox

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20211007-185216_Samsung Internet.jpg

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I was going to suggest Paraguay as, being a small country, it doesn't have many tourists and it is one of the jewels of South America but that too is on the red list. The crime rate is very low and the locals very friendly as well. I imagine the borders are probably patrolled at the moment. It doesn't make sense this red list and it's such a shame.

Hope you can have a really nice holiday somewhere in time. Even if double-jabbed the rules are very frustrating to say the least. :annoyed:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Did look at Paraguay, looks really nice especially carnival at Encarnacion and as you say low crime rates. Have you been ? was looking at Argentina/Paraguay at one point but loads of travel restrictions in Argentina re covid.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Doubt red list will last much longer. Ireland have scrapped theirs.

Think this is just government strategically reducing it to avoid scrapping it entirely which could be accused of looking like a U-Turn.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Not sure about "red list" but Peruvians celebrate New Year’s by gifting one another yellow underpants on New Year’s Eve to bring good luck in the coming year. It is tradition to wear them inside out (underneath clothing) until midnight, then flip them around at the stroke of midnight.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Did look at Paraguay, looks really nice especially carnival at Encarnacion and as you say low crime rates. Have you been ? was looking at Argentina/Paraguay at one point but loads of travel restrictions in Argentina re covid.

Yes. Had a fortnight's holiday there in 2004.

The country is about the size of Scotland with seven million people populated, bordered by Brazil, Argentina and Bolivia. Encarnacion is certainly the prettiest part of Paraguay with stunning waterfalls and mountains although Iguazu is also worth a visit. The capital, Asunciòn, is probably the safest city I've ever visited and there's lots going on. One frustrating aspect is that because it's not a big tourist country, making a real go at speaking Spanish is essential although Guarani is also widely spoken. It's a poor country generally but that doesn't mean to say that crime is a problem - only pickpocketing seemed to be a minor concern by our guide. There are the usual nasty mosquito's and Dengue fever rare but having listed the problems, it's certainly worth a visit and the most amazing country I have ever visited. The food is really nice with cheese virtually served or in everything! Delicious! The climate is very hot with November to February being the warmest months.

I always follow Paraguay's football results and really hope they qualify for World Cups! They are soccer mad, just like every South American nation.

Hopefully wherever you go eventually, you'll have a wonderful time with your wife. :thumbsup:

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Booked a flight only, six weeks backpacking around Peru with Mrs Shingle in late jan/feb/early march. Peru covid rates are really low, yet it's only one of seven countries still on red list.

Why :shrug: bollox

Probably not much comfort to you but, although only 7 countries on our red list, more countries are putting the UK on their red lists so worth checking before booking another destination. Our vaccination rate is now poor compared with many other first world countries so, they don’t want us travelling to them. I think much of Scandinavia, Australia and New Zealand have UK on their red lists for example.
Funny the government aren’t publicising this!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Probably not much comfort to you but, although only 7 countries on our red list, more countries are putting the UK on their red lists so worth checking before booking another destination. Our vaccination rate is now poor compared with many other first world countries so, they don’t want us travelling to them. I think much of Scandinavia, Australia and New Zealand have UK on their red lists for example.
Funny the government aren’t publicising this!

Are they?

Australia and New Zealand have banned everyone at the moment

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure about "red list" but Peruvians celebrate New Year’s by gifting one another yellow underpants on New Year’s Eve to bring good luck in the coming year. It is tradition to wear them inside out (underneath clothing) until midnight, then flip them around at the stroke of midnight.

They give each other ‘previously worn’ undies in Lima. It goes back to the 1100’s apparently when they would make ‘underwear broth’ (that’s how it translates.)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

It appears that Peruvians have very strange attitudes to the symbolic significance of the colour of their underwear....
https://www.incpak.com/world/red-underwear-peru/

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Exactly. I am still waiting for New Zealand to open. Goodness knows when it will though.

Think you might be waiting a while CS, my brother lives out there and has a load of restaurants in North Island. He would love to come back to the UK but can't as he won't get back into NZ. The Vaccine take up is low as The Maori population and Pacific Islanders are resistant to having the vaccine and are pi$$ing off the rest of the population.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Peru's been on Scotland's red list since 1978.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here