Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Sky dishes and boxes OUT

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Inevitably when the technology catches up (and they minimise the delay) TV companies are not going to invest in sticking a chunk of metal into space with a rocket to broadcast a television signal.

Is anyone making any headway on that? My parents have recently ditched Sky and gone to BT. It's crap and they hate it but I think a lot of the issue is down to their internet connection. Every channel change takes between 1 and 3 seconds for the channel to stop pixelating.

I hate watching football on it as well. The technology for reporting goals has to be instant for the bookmakers. Sunday I went round for lunch and they were still going through the VAR check when my phone alerted me Trippier had scored for Newcastle. I know the satellite has a 2-3 second delay but 20-30 second delay is not acceptable for me. Until that is sorted I won't be switching to any of the online services.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Is anyone making any headway on that? My parents have recently ditched Sky and gone to BT. It's crap and they hate it but I think a lot of the issue is down to their internet connection. Every channel change takes between 1 and 3 seconds for the channel to stop pixelating.

I hate watching football on it as well. The technology for reporting goals has to be instant for the bookmakers. Sunday I went round for lunch and they were still going through the VAR check when my phone alerted me Trippier had scored for Newcastle. I know the satellite has a 2-3 second delay but 20-30 second delay is not acceptable for me. Until that is sorted I won't be switching to any of the online services.
It's 1 minute delay for glass which is absolutely pathetic.

I was watching the Brighton game on peacock yesterday in 1080p 50fps and it had a 23 second delay. I watched west ham Vs Brighton at the pool in miami on Amazon with a 5 second delay !!! Until sky sort their ridiculous delay I cant see how anyone would purchase it.

Even IPTV providers now only have a 15 second delay on sky and BT sport's

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Yes it's industry wide problem they are trying to crack.

Very simply, historically networks were designed to transmit data reliably over speed. It does that by constantly checking that the data was received and it slows the whole thing down.

With video streaming they ditched a lot of that, because it doesn't matter if you lose a bit of data. The picture may pixelate but will recover. Sometimes you notice, sometimes you don't.

You've also got clever techniques to "remove" a lot of data but recreate what's "missing" when it's received.

So it's not just a question of latency. It's a balance between latency and a picture quality that is both reliable and of quality.

There is course a lot in between (networks and ISPs) that the broadcasters have little control over.

https://aws.amazon.com/media/tech/video-latency-in-live-streaming/

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Surprise surprise !!

Surprise surprise !!

Why did you bother in the first place ?

Because I hoped to be able to output to my surround sound system, nowhere had it explained that the Glass doesn't output a 5.1 signal.

My OLED TV is 4 years old, the Glass is brand new, I thought that perhaps, as Sky are making out this TV is so amazing, that it would have been somewhat closer, or even better, than my old TV.

That's why I bothered in the first place.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Because I hoped to be able to output to my surround sound system, nowhere had it explained that the Glass doesn't output a 5.1 signal.

My OLED TV is 4 years old, the Glass is brand new, I thought that perhaps, as Sky are making out this TV is so amazing, that it would have been somewhat closer, or even better, than my old TV.

That's why I bothered in the first place.

Appreciate it doesnt work for you but I've had 5.1 and the Sky Glass dolby digital ( with numerous built in speakers ) blows it out the water

Not sure why you would want the 5.1 when one of the best things about sky glass is the brilliant sound

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Appreciate it doesnt work for you but I've had 5.1 and the Sky Glass dolby digital ( with numerous built in speakers ) blows it out the water

Not sure why you would want the 5.1 when one of the best things about sky glass is the brilliant sound

Perhaps I had a duff one. The sound didn't come close to my 5.1 setup, which isn't an OTT system, but has a full 5.1 set of speakers which incorporate ATMOS upward firing speakers both front and back. I didn't expect the sound to be as good on the Glass, but I was hoping I'd be able to pass through from the Glass to my system.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Perhaps I had a duff one. The sound didn't come close to my 5.1 setup, which isn't an OTT system, but has a full 5.1 set of speakers which incorporate ATMOS upward firing speakers both front and back. I didn't expect the sound to be as good on the Glass, but I was hoping I'd be able to pass through from the Glass to my system.

There’s quite a few reviews that it doesn’t quite hit OLED quality. Depends what people are upgrading from - for some it will be a stunning upgrade.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I think that's an issue with their broadband speed. Had BT for years and never an issue with goal alerts

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I think that's an issue with their broadband speed. Had BT for years and never an issue with goal alerts

The goal alerts is an issue with streaming services not just BT as discussed on this thread. If you aren't getting goal alerts until you've seen the goal on TV you should probably try a better app.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The goal alerts is an issue with streaming services not just BT as discussed on this thread. If you aren't getting goal alerts until you've seen the goal on TV you should probably try a better app.

I don't find it a problem to mute a game I am watching, the apps allow for that. I do have to avoid Twitter/NSC/Facebook etc though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Or conversely you could switch to a worse one?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Appreciate that you might expect it to, but, I tend to go on the specs as to what it says it will do. If it's not in the spec then it probably isn't there.

In my opinion OLED is still the pinnacle of picture quality, so albeit yours is a few years old it would still be hard to better it with non-OLED.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If I've read it right, seems like a cynical over-engineered solution. To get rid of your Sky dish you need to buy a telly of questionable quality from Sky that ties you in to Sky? Really? Good luck with THAT business model :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here