[TV] Sky dishes and boxes OUT

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
satellite.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
After 12 months you have to PAY for the ability to fast forward through adverts... (!)

Where programmes clash, we always record the one that will have longer advert breaks so we can fast forward.
No doubt the £5 will soon increase.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Where programmes clash, we always record the one that will have longer advert breaks so we can fast forward.
No doubt the £5 will soon increase.

You might have to adjust your mindset when you say 'record'. As far as I can tell, there is no local storage on the TV - so you need to use the 'catch up' type of system to effectively download it if you didn't watch it live.

That will be interesting for those who currently like to record, keep and re-watch things such as important football games. As I understand it, the licence to broadcast a PL game expires after a couple of weeks - try downloading a MoTD from a month ago, or our opening game of the season? Not a problem at the moment, if you recorded and saved it locally to your STB.

This may be a good deal for some, but not so good (with current licencing arrangements) for sports fans?

Finally, the fact that this is entirely dependent on wi-fi, and therefore fast broadband, causes me concerns. At present, if some fool puts a digger through the broadband cable along the road, I can at least watch a good number of channels via the dish. Not so easy when everything is delivered via that cable (same as Virgin setup currently is, I know).

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I’ve binned them all off!

Freeview and payg / sub services for me with an HD plugged into the TV. I have broadband from Virgin but that’s it. No TV services or boxes. Football/Sport on NowTV when I need it. The days of chucking £65+pcm at these goons for me has long gone. Pick and choose my subs now, maybe a couple of months on Netflix, then a couple on Disney+, £10 here and there for a Sports Pass. Honestly I get nowhere near the £700 pa or so I was handing over, that’s without multi-room etc which is easily achieved with freeview and broadband and a smart TV or fire stick.

do you know , if Now TV behind Sky box/dish setup in real time ?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Thanks , yes , sky go on pc can lag up to 45secs behind real time and between 10 and 30secs behind sky tv , presumably Now tv is the same lag as sky go ?

I’ve found it can vary between type of device, iPad, Xbox, smart Tv, lags can be different, but yeah 45secs not unusual.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Will this cover live downloads from tv or is it a Netflix style on demand service?

Not sure what you mean, but there is no local storage (e.g. hard drive), so everything you watch will be streamed via telephone cables and then from your router via wi-fi, similar to Netflix

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just moved to SkyQ and asked myself would I buy a Philips TV and the answer is no, not for me Clive

Sent from my very expensive gated community

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Always wondered why you are not able to get UHD from Sky Min Boxes and only from the Main Sky Q one?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
No going to waste my money on this if there's a delay. At this point the lack of delay is the only reason I have sky.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

Its also clever as it will lock you into sky as its less easy to haggle a new deal and threaten to go to virgin etc if you also lose your TV or are still paying it off.

Exactly. What happens if you no longer want SKY. As you know if you cancel SKY, you can still use the box for the basic channels, but since SKY will be streaming everything, does that mean there is the possibility you could end up with no TV at all?

Going to be a few years before going on to something like this anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Exactly. What happens if you no longer want SKY. As you know if you cancel SKY, you can still use the box for the basic channels, but since SKY will be streaming everything, does that mean there is the possibility you could end up with no TV at all?

Going to be a few years before going on to something like this anyway.

If you cancel Sky at the moment they send you cardboard boxes to send all the equipment back or they charge you.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Reading into this really is disappointing, I hate that the world is going streaming mad.

The main plus for Sky was that at least you were guarantied a good connection, HD, no lagging/blurring, no risk of the game game cutting out or freezing etc (for the most part).

Streaming is so crap (for me anyway). I've noticed how bad the quality of football is on Amazon, it's almost unwatchable, even the boxing on DAZN since Matchroom moved there is nowhere near as good picture and audio quality and is prone to being 'jerky' or 'blurry' or whatever it's called.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Always wondered why you are not able to get UHD from Sky Min Boxes and only from the Main Sky Q one?

Probably to do with bandwidth I'd imagine. Sky don't even bother broadcasting all the sport in UHD, they pick and choose. Thousands of homes with several boxes all watching in UHD would likely take up too much internet juice.

I'm no expert though, as you can likely tell.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Reading into this really is disappointing, I hate that the world is going streaming mad.

The main plus for Sky was that at least you were guarantied a good connection, HD, no lagging/blurring, no risk of the game game cutting out or freezing etc (for the most part).

Streaming is so crap (for me anyway). I've noticed how bad the quality of football is on Amazon, it's almost unwatchable, even the boxing on DAZN since Matchroom moved there is nowhere near as good picture and audio quality and is prone to being 'jerky' or 'blurry' or whatever it's called.

Curious. The picture quality, for me at least, on Amazon is superb. Their initial offerings were as you describe but subsequently they have upped their game a lot.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

I disagree, I'm afraid. Just this week, with very heavy rain, my satellite dish was unable to pick up the signal, so the picture dropped out / went blocky / stalled etc, several times.

I have had Virgin in the past, and they are just as dependent on the cables not getting broken as Sky are planning to be.

And even the old-fashoined TV mast broadcasting analogue signals is not immune from failure - just ask the million+ viewers in Noth Yorkshire, many of whom are still without a picture months later.

Any of the systems above can and do work very well - until something goes wrong. With the current main options available, the satellite dish approach seems to me to be a more robust one than the BT landline approach that I believe Sky are trying to switch some viewers to. But, in time, I imagine a variation on cable TV will become the norm, at least until the next technological breakthrough. maybe 6G or 7G will have the bandwidth to deliver UHD+ to every TV set?

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Probably to do with bandwidth I'd imagine. Sky don't even bother broadcasting all the sport in UHD, they pick and choose. Thousands of homes with several boxes all watching in UHD would likely take up too much internet juice.

I'm no expert though, as you can likely tell.

Thanks interesting. I watch most of my TV in a different room to where the main box was installed so bit of a run in with Sky as they never explained that and installed in the easiest place.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I disagree, I'm afraid. Just this week, with very heavy rain, my satellite dish was unable to pick up the signal, so the picture dropped out / went blocky / stalled etc, several times.

I have had Virgin in the past, and they are just as dependent on the cables not getting broken as Sky are planning to be.

And even the old-fashioned TV mast broadcasting analogue signals is not immune from failure - just ask the million+ viewers in North Yorkshire, many of whom are still without a picture months later.

Any of the systems above can and do work very well - until something goes wrong. With the current main options available, the satellite dish approach seems to me to be a more robust one than the BT landline approach that I believe Sky are trying to switch some viewers to. But, in time, I imagine a variation on cable TV will become the norm, at least until the next technological breakthrough. maybe 6G or 7G will have the bandwidth to deliver UHD+ to every TV set?

There can be no guaranteed 100% service - in the IT world we build in resilience by doubling up on circuits so that if a digger goes rogue on circuit A cable, B will keep the service running.

In my house I have an Ethernet cabled firestick, Freeview [recorder] and Terrestrial digital - so well covered.
But if we have a mains power cut, I'd have to resort to my mobile phone as the failover.

All that said, I've found my OpenReach cabling and NowTV as ISP 99.99% uptime in last 12 months at £23 [inc phone line] and my old Sky dish with Freeview 100% reliable although the recording device has had a couple of wobbles. And terrestrial TV [hardly use] as been 100% available when I've needed it but I'm sure they have transmitter outages for planned maintenance at times.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here