Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Sky dishes and boxes OUT

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For those that feed the monster

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-glass-new-4k-ultrahd-smart-tv-set-to-replace-satellite-dishes-and-boxes-12427480

Sky.JPG

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
odd headline from Sky, not really mentioning dishes in the article. if they ditched satellites they'd lose large parts of the population with adequate broadband capacity.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
odd headline from Sky, not really mentioning dishes in the article. if they ditched satellites they'd lose large parts of the population with adequate broadband capacity.

and gain millions who cant put dishes on rented properties

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and gain millions who cant put dishes on rented properties

you dont need to drop satellites to provide that service though.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009

As far as I can see, and I may be wrong, but this also brings an end to recording programs. That will be fine for many, especially the youngsters who stream everything, but unless everything broadcast remains streamable (free within your sky package for ever) then I see this as something that makes things better and more profitable for Sky with only the limited benefit being to those who can now stream without a dish.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
As far as I can see, and I may be wrong, but this also brings an end to recording programs. That will be fine for many, especially the youngsters who stream everything, but unless everything broadcast remains streamable (free within your sky package for ever) then I see this as something that makes things better and more profitable for Sky with only the limited benefit being to those who can now stream without a dish.

Why? Most smart TVs you can just usb a hard drive to it and they can record. Pretty easy to include an SSD / flash drive within the TV build I would have thought. The Sky and Virgin boxes are made to look like there’s a lot of technology going on, but there isn’t really. Just a proprietary hard drive sat next to a cpu board.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why? Most smart TVs you can just usb a hard drive to it and they can record. Pretty easy to include an SSD / flash drive within the TV build I would have thought. The Sky and Virgin boxes are made to look like there’s a lot of technology going on, but there isn’t really. Just a proprietary hard drive sat next to a cpu board.

Agreed - suspect there's a drive inside the TV as well. Hadn't heard about this but looks excellent to me - been waiting quite a while to upgrade the telly so this might be the answer. What happens if you use multiroom and don't have Smart TVs in the other rooms but use Q ?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Its also clever as it will lock you into sky as its less easy to haggle a new deal and threaten to go to virgin etc if you also lose your TV or are still paying it off.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Agreed - suspect there's a drive inside the TV as well. Hadn't heard about this but looks excellent to me - been waiting quite a while to upgrade the telly so this might be the answer. What happens if you use multiroom and don't have Smart TVs in the other rooms but use Q ?

I’ve binned them all off!

Freeview and payg / sub services for me with an HD plugged into the TV. I have broadband from Virgin but that’s it. No TV services or boxes. Football/Sport on NowTV when I need it. The days of chucking £65+pcm at these goons for me has long gone. Pick and choose my subs now, maybe a couple of months on Netflix, then a couple on Disney+, £10 here and there for a Sports Pass. Honestly I get nowhere near the £700 pa or so I was handing over, that’s without multi-room etc which is easily achieved with freeview and broadband and a smart TV or fire stick.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

"Whole Home' Pack. Sorted.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
My question would be, if you get a sky subscription and then want to switch at the end of the contract to virgin, would a new provider be compatible?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
And they are going to take it out of the box and remove packaging. Nice added touch. Just leaves some other poor sod to put it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’ve binned them all off!

Freeview and payg / sub services for me with an HD plugged into the TV. I have broadband from Virgin but that’s it. No TV services or boxes. Football/Sport on NowTV when I need it. The days of chucking £65+pcm at these goons for me has long gone. Pick and choose my subs now, maybe a couple of months on Netflix, then a couple on Disney+, £10 here and there for a Sports Pass. Honestly I get nowhere near the £700 pa or so I was handing over, that’s without multi-room etc which is easily achieved with freeview and broadband and a smart TV or fire stick.

Every time I’m tempted to do this, the thing that stops me is the cricket. If Sky lose the cricket, I’m offski.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
After 12 months you have to PAY for the ability to fast forward through adverts... (!)

sky.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here