Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Senior professionals returning to play in the Youth Academy

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I wonder if Munich's one got sent off for scything down one of the opposition kiddies recently. did we copy that as well? :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bayern have done this forever and often have 3 or 4 overage players in their reserve squad (they are participating in the normal league system so it might be needed to match up physically).

Best example might be Christian Saba - he played almost 300 games with Bayern 2 over fifteen years without ever playing with the first team. A strange career.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder if Munich's one got sent off for scything down one of the opposition kiddies recently. did we copy that as well? :)

In two years, Crofts has taken over as manager of the U23s, and sit 4th in the PL2 table.

Brighton have had eight academy players make their first-team debuts so far this season, but all you can deduce from that article is one bad tackle.

:facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i was interesting read. hadnt realised it was by design, thought Croft's involvement was a one off.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In two years, Crofts has taken over as manager of the U23s, and sit 4th in the PL2 table.

Brighton have had eight academy players make their first-team debuts so far this season, but all you can deduce from that article is one bad tackle.

:facepalm:

A little serious

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I like the way in the Amex era many recent former players have been kept close. Watson, Rodger, Mayo, Roberts, Ankergren, Jones, Bruno, Crofts, Dicker, Oatway and possibly Murray have all been involved with the club in a professional capacity after retiring. Probably some I've forgotten.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I like the way in the Amex era many recent former players have been kept close. Watson, Rodger, Mayo, Roberts, Ankergren, Jones, Bruno, Crofts, Dicker, Oatway and possibly Murray have all been involved with the club in a professional capacity after retiring. Probably some I've forgotten.

Guy Butters and Danny Cullip work for AITC.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Guy Butters and Danny Cullip work for AITC.

Ahh, I forgot about Cullip, didn't know about Butters though. I think Dean Blackwell may have been involved at some point too.

Of course Liam Rosenior and Steve Sidwell need to be added to that list too :love:

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Gordon Greer does scouting for the academy.

Jul 7, 2003
Best example might be Christian Saba - he played almost 300 games with Bayern 2 over fifteen years without ever playing with the first team. A strange career.

Is he the guy who played against our u23s a few years ago in the cup competition? Remember going to watch that game and seeing someone who was considerably older then everyone else on the pitch and trying to work out why he was playing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Is he the guy who played against our u23s a few years ago in the cup competition? Remember going to watch that game and seeing someone who was considerably older then everyone else on the pitch and trying to work out why he was playing.

Depends on when it was but probably not as he quit quite a few years ago. Now for instance they have three 30+ players in their squad. It appears that central defender Nicolas Feldhahn, 35, has been playing with them since 2015 so might be him maybe?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

Oatway? I'm not sure how keen the club are to have him around after he got sacked.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oatway? I'm not sure how keen the club are to have him around after he got sacked.

According to Charlie, a couple of years ago anyway, the feud was still ongoing. He was however very close to the club for sometime after his playing career ended, being employed, loosely speaking as a coach, by Gus.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Seaber's post is correct. Charlie Oatway retired from playing in 2009 with Havant & Waterlooville. He became a coach at BHA until 2013 when he left by mutual agreement. He was suspended but then came to the agreement a few weeks later.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On-field the policy makes a lot of sense, but having the older guy around doesn't seem to have helped some players with their off-field activities.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Seaber's post is correct. Charlie Oatway retired from playing in 2009 with Havant & Waterlooville. He became a coach at BHA until 2013 when he left by mutual agreement. He was suspended but then came to the agreement a few weeks later.

Oh yeah I wasn't disputing he came back as a coach, and I agree it is nice to see ex players involved at the club. I was just pointing out that it doesnt always work. Paul Rogers being another one.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
On-field the policy makes a lot of sense, but having the older guy around doesn't seem to have helped some players with their off-field activities.

You can lead a horse to water…….

Maybe having the likes of Bruno, Lallana, Welbeck, Roberts, Crofts, Dicker and a few others around has helped prevent more issues.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You can lead a horse to water…….

Maybe having the likes of Bruno, Lallana, Welbeck, Roberts, Crofts, Dicker and a few others around has helped prevent more issues.

Indeed, generally speaking l'm sure that having a few senior, and even a few experienced ex professionals around the club, helps to motivate the younger ones, and keep theikr feet on the ground, both on and off the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here