Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Windows 11

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Two years ago I spent a reasonably substantial sum (for me) on a new laptop with Windows 10 which has worked fine to date all the way through the pandemic, working from home etc.

Now I get a message saying the laptop can't be upgraded to Windows 11, because the processor "isn't currently supported", and why not fork out another not-insubstantial sum for a new laptop.

I know Microsoft say that Windows 10 will be supported until 2025, but that isn't the point :rant:

It's just a money-making rip off for IT companies.

I had a similar issue when Windows 7 moved to Windows 8 and 10 - the then laptop wouldn't upgrade because of a processor issue. :down:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Two years ago I spent a reasonably substantial sum (for me) on a new laptop with Windows 10 which has worked fine to date all the way through the pandemic, working from home etc.

Now I get a message saying the laptop can't be upgraded to Windows 11, because the processor "isn't currently supported", and why not fork out another not-insubstantial sum for a new laptop.

I know Microsoft say that Windows 10 will be supported until 2025, but that isn't the point :rant:

I had a similar issue when Windows 7 moved to Windows 8 and 10 - the then laptop wouldn't upgrade because of a processor issue. :down:
It may well *actually* be supported - what's the laptop / processor?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
There was a workaround for the early access one that presumably works with the full release - you get so far through setup, crash to a command prompt and then edit a file or registry entry - can't remember which. That tells it to not bother checking the processor version.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Given it officially supports CPUs released from 2017 onwards this is rather on you for spending a 'substantial sum' on a laptop that was already 2 years out of date when you bought it. No?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Given it officially supports CPUs released from 2017 onwards this is rather on you for spending a 'substantial sum' on a laptop that was already 2 years out of date when you bought it. No?

How is anyone supposed to know that. It was a new laptop when I bought it, and as far I knew it was up to date. It's not a bloody abacus FFS.......

The processor is an Intel Core i3-7020U CPU @ 2.30 GHz whatever that means.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I still have an old lap top which was really happy on 8, these days only used for engine analysis software and my flow bench in the workshop, nothing hungry. some years ago it automatically did a W10 update when I made the mistake of taking it in the house on to wi fi and not disconecting it . . . .its basically had the effect of chopping its running legs off just above the pelvis. thing is ****ing useless now.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
How is anyone supposed to know that. It was a new laptop when I bought it, and as far I knew it was up to date. It's not a bloody abacus FFS.......

The processor is an Intel Core i3-7020U CPU @ 2.30 GHz whatever that means.

OK, you're correct that it's not officially supported, but if you want you can manually install Windows 11 - https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-...till-download-it-with-installation-assistant/

It's not however necessary, and Windows 10 will be supported until October 2025.

Your processor is a 2018 last hurrah of a processor line first released in Summer 2016, by which time the successor "8th generation" processors had already been released. Sadly, you weren't to know at the time that this would become significant.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

So it's fine without Windows 11. What's the problem?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The minimum requirements include a type of security chip - called a TPM - only installed on modern computers.

"If your device does not meet these requirements, you may not be able to install Windows 11 on your device and might want to consider purchasing a new PC," Microsoft says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58795119

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I bought a laptop for work, just as windows 10 was going to be released, but hadn't been yet. I was assured by PC World that it was compatible, and it would automatically update when available. . I double checked several times before purchase.

There was one issues that later came into play. The "lap top" actually wasn't, it was a tablet, with an attached keyboard unit that housed most of the internal memory, rather than a laptop with detachable screen-which is what I thought I was getting.

Windows 10 was released and quickly and successfully updated onto my machine, no problems whatsoever. Over the next months, various updates were released, all successfully installed without issue

Then came the start of the problem, after a few months, a new version of windows 10 was released, not just an update to parts of it. The laptop needed to download the new version (massive file) and then overwrite the existing one. This is when the problem arose, the update would only save to the C drive, however the c drive was infact too small, as the bulk of the 500gb storeage (more than enough) was the d drive which was located in the keyboard part of the machine

Despite numerous attempts to tell it to save on the d drive, it simply wouldnt. Eventually I uninstalled all the office programs and created just enough to allow the machine to save , upgrade and then wipe the old windows.

This solved the issue for a few more upgrades but when a second complete new version came around, the same happened but this time the file was to big, whislst it saved, just, when it started to upgrade by extracting the exe file, whilst uninstalling the existing windows it simply ran out of space, and effectively died, as it had wiped the operating system before installing its replacement. leaving it unable to revert or replace.

Despite taking it to a repairers the c drive was dead, and I was told that they were seeing more and more of these cases, and were expecting it to be a massive issue going forward, as the windows program got bigger and bigger and outgrew the size of pre existing, and relativly new hard drives

I suppose its an ongoing issue, with IT advancing in ever increasing speeds, that new equipment is outdated far far quicker than it used to

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

This.

Windows 11 moves the start menu to the middle. And, er, anything else in the new release?

You'll be fine as you are.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Yeah but by then you will have had the laptop for 6 years, and a supported operating system from a different vendor to whom made your hardware. Then you will likely to be able to continue to use it unsupported if you wanted to.

Dont see the problem here really, why do you need or want windows 11? Because it's the latest version maybe, though if you bought an i3 processor a couple of years ago then it probably doesnt matter to you to be on the latest stuff

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
No idea what gives, but......

Win2.JPG
Win 1.JPG

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Reading a report about Windows 11 seems the main reason they are bringing it in is security, Microsoft just couldn't make 10 secure enough so had to re-write too much of it. I only bought a new pc this year, I'm retired now so want it to last longer than 4 years so no choice but to upgrade, just hope all my old programmes work OK in 11.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I imagine that Microsoft might back down in due course and allow non TPM 2.x machines as there are a lot of powerful systems (workstations and laptops) which will not work with Windows 11.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Precisely.

And if I upgrade to Windows 11, I bet they'll have put something on it that stops me from loading my old (free at the time for me) Student Office 2007 that has now been on about 10 computers over its time, and which also still works perfectly well.

Edit - oh, I see the later post that says the start button is in the middle. Must get it then!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Windows 11 can do one until Windows 10 is no longer supported for me!

I was perfectly happy with Windows 7 until support ended when I started worrying and reluctantly bought a Windows 10 pc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here