Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Drinking in sight of the pitch - a survey

Do you agree the law should change to decriminalise drinking in sight of a football pitch?

• I agree.

Votes: 58 18.2%
  • I agree provided the bars are closed during the game

Votes: 89 27.9%
  • Not fussed either way

Votes: 28 8.8%
  • I disagree. I don't like the idea of flying beer after a goal

Votes: 99 31.0%
  • I disagree. The law is satisfactory as it is

Votes: 45 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I haven't asked Bozza to do this, but...

Some of you may well be aware of Tracy Crouch's, and football generally, efforts to update football legislation from the draconian mire it currently finds itself in.

One of these considerations is the decriminalisation of football fans being allowed to drink in sight of the pitch at Tier 5 grounds and upwards. Of course, decriminalisation doesn't mean obligation, merely the removal of a highly prejudicial piece of legislation.

With that in mind - and appreciating this is merely a snapshot of some Brighton fans - what are your view on this? The Football Supporters' Association are looking for view on this in their conversations with the FA, the PL and the Government.

Thanks in advance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mixed feelings, heart says yea but head says no; I can’t be bothered with getting up and down every five minutes because someone wants yet another pint or a piss, having beer spilt on me as people struggle through the seats holding 3 pints, having beer puddles around me from knocked over pints and being covered in it when we score as pints are luzzed in the air.

Things are okay as they are.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Bit of a loaded survey question and pre-amble in the OP.

Personally, totally against and I would have thought that Tracy Crouch's fans-led review would have had more weighty matters to concern itself with. But no - it's 'why can't we drink beer in sight of the pitch?'

Still, the football authorities and rogue owners must be delighted.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's a tough one for sure.

I think the fact we have a law based on the assumption that we're all drinking aggro lunatics who can't be trusted not to get tanked up for the full 90 is a bit insulting. Equally, there are a lot of aggro lunatics who probably shouldn't have the option to drink for the full 90.

One could also argue that the law in its current form encourages binge drinking before the game and at half-time so loosening the restriction could curb that a bit.

Honestly, I went for 'I agree provided the bars are closed during the game' but I think it could prove to be an absolute disaster.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I enjoy a drink before the game and at half time if I can get one in time and I'm really not a miserable git who wants to ruin anyone's fun but I don't think it's necessary to drink whilst watching the game. It won't enhance my game experience at all and my concern is that it will cause problems and increase anti social behaviour.

I appreciate the majority of fans will be sensible but as always there will be a minority who spoil it and I worry about the effect any bad behaviour will have on children who go to the games as they are the future of the club and it's already going to be a challenge encouraging future generations to go to games.

There is plenty of time to drink before, at half time and after the match and despite being a drinker myself, I'm absolutely fine going that 90 minutes without having one. I really don't think it's something that needs to change.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Would I like to have a drink in my seat? Yes. Do I want them to change the law? No because of the beer throwing. People will not be able to help themselves and the view of football supporters in general will be put back 30 years.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I would be OK with and would like to be able to take a single drink to your seat before the game or at half time.

Any more and you end up with an annoying procession of people buying beer and going for a leak - and a higher risk of flying beer when a goal goes in.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One could also argue that the law in its current form encourages binge drinking before the game and at half-time so loosening the restriction could curb that a bit.

I once read a study about late licensing and how it had the opposite effect and instead of allowing pubs to open beyond 11pm and people spreading their drinking out it just led to them consuming more and getting even more annihilated. Study was in the north east of England though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I would like to be able to take my pint into the ground and sup at my leisure rather than be forced to neck it before hand
But the downsides far outweigh that positive.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Prefer it if we can’t (there are enough bored kids, weak-bladdered and/or permanently thirsty/hungry people up and down like a whores knickers as it is), but if it’s allowed, plastic bottles only, not pint glasses that will end up with beer everywhere.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've picked agree, but want to add a big caveat.

I think clubs should be allowed to choose without it being a legal matter, I don't think an outright ban is appropriate anymore especially as it's allowed in other sports. This leaves them free to close bars during the game or do anything else they think will make it work.

On a personal basis I'm not particularly in favour of it happening where I sit in the North Stand.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I haven't asked Bozza to do this, but...

Some of you may well be aware of Tracy Crouch's, and football generally, efforts to update football legislation from the draconian mire it currently finds itself in.

One of these considerations is the decriminalisation of football fans being allowed to drink in sight of the pitch at Tier 5 grounds and upwards. Of course, decriminalisation doesn't mean obligation, merely the removal of a highly prejudicial piece of legislation.

With that in mind - and appreciating this is merely a snapshot of some Brighton fans - what are your view on this? The Football Supporters' Association are looking for view on this in their conversations with the FA, the PL and the Government.

Thanks in advance.

There was a long thread about this on NSC recently.

For me, having been to NFL games and Twickenham it's a massive NO.

Herr T has summed it up perfectly - too may people constantly coming passed, spilling beer etc.

There's plenty of time for drinking, both pre and post match.

Yoda

English & European
I would be OK with and would like to be able to take a single drink to your seat before the game or at half time.

Any more and you end up with an annoying procession of people buying beer and going for a leak - and a higher risk of flying beer when a goal goes in.

Pretty much sums up my feeling.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I always thought people went to the game to watch the game, not get hammered on some over-priced low quality fizz..

If you have ever had the misfortune to sit near the Barmy Army at England cricket grounds, and experienced the beer monsters, flying piss, and plastic mug snakes......

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My only experience of people drinking in the seats at the Amex, was when I couldn't get tickets for the Championship title decider at Villa, so went to the club's beam-back on the big screens in front of the WSL.

All was well, until the last minute, when Stockdale let the ball dribble through his legs, and some wanky little **** ten rows back decided to express his frustration by launching his full pint at his fellow Albion fans in the seats in front. Neither myself, nor my wife, nor my two young lads were very impressed, to be honest.

Its a massive no, from me.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
its always seemed weird that in corp hospitality the curtains need to be closed while alcohol is consumed. I would change that aspect for sure.

Keep the bars shut during the game would be essential. I can personally hold off 45 mins until my next drink.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here