Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Feeding The Wheel

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Walking through Lewes town centre approximately six and a half days ago, I witnessed a middle-aged woman at the controls of a burnt orange Nissan Micra (or similar) feeding the wheel as she turned a corner. Does anyone else still ‘feed the wheel,’ is it still seen as the (Davy) proper way?

(disclaimer: not to be confused with 80s Australian musical outfit ‘Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel’ btw!)

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I actually find it easier most of the time. It is actually safer and if you're driving at reasonable speed the push/pull method is best. Here's a good video pointing out the pros and cons.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I thought this was going to be something from urban dictionary I'd not heard of... going to have to look it up now, doubt I'll post the results though! usually NSFW!

Edit: disappointingly no results...

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I thought this was going to be something from urban dictionary I'd not heard of... going to have to look it up now, doubt I'll post the results though! usually NSFW!

Edit: disappointingly no results...

I bet you're thinking of ******* the *****! :p

Outrageous.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I still do it, and on occasion even racing if you need more lock and know there's a danger of losing it if you lose your grip, no power steering in my old crate and it can be heavy under load at speed, especially if you hit a bump or kerb.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Walking through Lewes town centre approximately six and a half days ago, I witnessed a middle-aged woman at the controls of a burnt orange Nissan Micra (or similar) feeding the wheel as she turned a corner. Does anyone else still ‘feed the wheel,’ is it still seen as the (Davy) proper way?

(disclaimer: not to be confused with 80s Australian musical outfit ‘Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel’ btw!)
Absolutely no need to feed the wheel in this day and age, the power steering means you hardly need to turn the wheel at all... Just like the dangerous habit of swinging out before cornering, pointless.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Just like the dangerous habit of swinging out before cornering, pointless.

Pfft, speak for yourself...

1462283804_by_RejliDejli_inner.gif

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Feeding the steering wheel seems so awfully civilised.

Reminds me of the time I saved up to buy my dad a walnut gear knob for Christmas in the late seventies.

Wasn’t a great match for a Cortina, but he put on a brave face…

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
When having lessons I was taught to feed it. Never understood it but doing that makes you slow down on junctions as if you go round one quick feeding the wheel you can't do it quick enough and run wide.

I was also told that if you cross your hands and then collide with something, irrespective if its your fault or not, it's not a good idea to have your arms crossed over the wheel when the airbag goes off as your arms will break your face as it pushes them into it.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
They don't teach it no more.

I'm more palm of the hand, top of the wheel, in circular motion type of guy with my other hand in my pocket playing with my balls.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The by the book 10 to 2 is ignored by everyone other than anoraks who’ve proudly passed the Advanced Driving Test.

The modern norm appears to be a lone tattooed arm at 12, with an unnatural flexing of arm muscles.

10 to 2 or qtr to 3 are both acceptable.

In the old days crossing your hands was a test fail but not anymore however always recommended to feed the wheel. Also, what happens whilst crossing your arms and someone hits you. Not a nice soft airbag in your face then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here