Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AMEX era biblically bad weather.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Despite all the warnings I hadn't really given the weather much of a thought, pre game.

As I took my seat, with the rain swirling around the floodlights, I had a massive flashback to an evening game, but can't for the life of me place it.

Being a man of age I can rate yesterday's weather against Bournemouth at The Goldstone with Chappers scoring one of my all time favourite goals, but can't remember specific games from the last few years.

So as the title suggests, with no mention of fog, where does yesterday rank in the compendium of AMEX era bad weather?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Despite all the warnings I hadn't really given the weather much of a thought, pre game.

As I took my seat, with the rain swirling around the floodlights, I had a massive flashback to an evening game, but can't for the life of me place it.

Being a man of age I can rate yesterday's weather against Bournemouth at The Goldstone with Chappers scoring one of my all time favourite goals, but can't remember specific games from the last few years.

So as the title suggests, with no mention of fog, where does yesterday rank in the compendium of AMEX era bad weather?

Don't know about the Amex era but it wasn't a touch on some games at Withdean ..... for starters I still had dry underwear when I got home yesterday.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

3-3 vs Bournemouth in early ‘94?

We were 1-3 down going into the last 5 mins, and Paul McCarthy (RIP) scored before Chappers rattled in a 30 yard equaliser.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nice to see a couple of Withdean ponchos out and about yesterday.

I noticed even the stewards had been issued with them yesterday.

Back to Withdean, can't remember who we were playing, the match where Gary Hart went in for a tackle at around the half way line and slid on his side almost half the length of the pitch was a VERY wet day.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I think the evening game you’re thinking of was the 1-1 against Watford in Oscar Garcia’s season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Millwall at withers, lots of fans had white ponchos on and Millwall actually complained about Brighton fans for chanting a German catchphrase dressed as KKK

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
On the subject of the rain. There is a water drain at the bottom of the drive in to the ground. Where the road arrives at the stadium and turns left or right. The drain is meant to take away all the water draining from the south stand entrance area, except it is half an inch higher than the road surface all around and caused deep puddles for everyone to walk through. Thanks planners.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
HollowWay got a VERY wet coat at The St Patrick's Day Massacre.

That was my first thought, remember walking up the hill from the Bridge and feeling like I was walking up a river.

I can't remember whether that Hyppia Millwall game was bad weather or if it was just a generally miserable experience without it?

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Halifax63.jpg

I was in there somewhere during the big freeze of 1963. We helped to clear the snow off the pitch so the game could be played. I seem to remember the BBC showed the highlights that night because there were so few other games played around the country.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Bournemouth away, 20 years ago maybe, I had a program inside a winter coat, when I got back to the car it had rained so hard that I just had the outer edge left and a massive hole in the middle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm gutted I didn't make it clear this was an AMEX era thread...

...oh.
(Thankyou [MENTION=643]nwgull[/MENTION])

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An away game takes the prize:

11 Feb 1995 AFC Bournemouth v Brighton and Hove Albion L 0-3 League Division 2

Monsoon levels of rain before and during the game, fkn cold, the pitch was literally an inch of standing water in huge puddles. It would’ve been called off in modern times.

Liam Brady orchestrated a great performance for the conditions, from memory McDougald and Minton took them apart.

A few hundred Albion supporters huddled at the end of one of their rickety stands.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Don't know about the Amex era but it wasn't a touch on some games at Withdean ..... for starters I still had dry underwear when I got home yesterday.

there were times last season in perfectly good weather i had wet underwear, Man City at home I had particularly moist and sticky patches

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I remember that Swindon game at Withdean was pretty wet, but somehow Virgs made the sun shine.

Yes the conditions for the infamous Swindon play-off semi were horrendous, but the infrastructure of Withdean was awful when it came to any sort of inclement weather, with the large open south stand so susceptible whenever it rained heavily or a strong wind was blowing, despite the wearing of the free plastic poncho offered to season ticket holders!

I'm sure the weather conditions at the Amex have been just as bad on occasion, the big difference is of course, that unless we are unlucky enough to be seated in the bottom few rows, we can generally stay nice and dry for the duration off the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here