Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pressing vs Arsenal

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry to start a whole thread about one thing but, I'm pretty confident that's the best I've EVER seen us press a team.

Thought we'd have to ease off a lot in the second half and - whilst Arsenal came into it slightly more - for the most part we continued at the same intensity.

Never gave them more than 2 seconds on the ball and forced so many turnovers of possession. All without Bissouma as well! Lallana in particular really stepped up to the plate in this regard.

Very, very impressed. Feels like we've fully settled into being a proper Premier League team now. Proud.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry to start a whole thread about one thing but, I'm pretty confident that's the best I've EVER seen us press a team.

Thought we'd have to ease off a lot in the second half and - whilst Arsenal came into it slightly more - for the most part we continued at the same intensity.

Never gave them more than 2 seconds on the ball and forced so many turnovers of possession. All without Bissouma as well! Lallana in particular really stepped up to the plate in this regard.

Very, very impressed. Feels like we've fully settled into being a proper Premier League team now. Proud.

Agree entirely and definitely worthy of a thread.

Ramsdale went long so many times and as a consequence lost possession.

Great demonstration

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ha you've saved me from myself.

I'm trying to write a Potter v Arteta thread but I'm tired and can't get the words down.

Potter won the battle but 'lost' the war, mainly due to the intensity of the press, Artie had no answer for it.

I could kind of see some similarities in what they were doing, but Arteta so obviously has a lot more to learn and considerably less time to learn it in.

He had no answer other than 'quick counterattack', which is hardly advanced level management.

I have no idea what was going on with their goal kicks.
'they are pressing us'.
'Moder is marking Partey - that's not fair'.
'play it short anyway'.

Arteta got done today by The Potter Pressmatic 2000.
Unlike Arteta though I have confidence in the fact GPotts Albion will be able to change it around for the very different needs of playing Norwich and then City.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and just how shite must Spurs be?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Really thought that after half time Arsenal would make changes to counter our press when their keeper had the ball, but they didn't seem to have a plan B.

Very brave of us, to effectively go 2 on 2 at the back by pushing Dunk forward to press Smith-Rowe to close down all options.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The amount of times we won possession back in their half was surely a record for us. Never seen it done quite as well as that from us. Really great tactics from Potter.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Agreed, great post.

We were brilliant at this from kick off. Especially impressive without Bissouma.

This is also where Maupay comes into his own, there are very few strikers in the league better at defending from the front as we saw again tonight.

And Cucurella is also a great addition to our press, he does not stop running all game.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Totally worthy of its own thread.

Pressing maximus to the extreme. Beyond impressed both physically and mentally. Made the arse look clueless and gave the illusion of time wasting which it wasn’t. Just void of ideas.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The excuses Smith was making for Arsenal…embarrassing

The experiment with youth at just an average age of just 24.5 and Arteta’s only been there 5 minutes ….. seem to be the stock expressions on a clearly Gooners Sky TV.

He joined Arsenal 7 months after Potter and has had £100m’s of players bought for him.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I thought we showed more energy and desire than them and created many more chances - Arsenal supporters should be disappointed at their lack of effort

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Cucurella's fitness levels are simply outstanding. Been said a thousand times but hoping to see him and Lamptey on the pitch together asap - hopefully the international break will give Tariq time to get fully up to speed and starting against Norwich.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
This latest performance by the Albion perfectly reflects how the team is progressing and becoming more adaptable under GP.

It proves you DON’T always need big signings but you certainly need to be fluid and play the tactics that match the opposition.

I have a feeling yesterday’s outcome would have been less favourable in the past as we may have chosen to take on Arsenal toe-to-toe rather than adopt our own style of ‘cancel culture’ and render them impotent….

Great performance.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yesterday was the closest for me to how we used to have (better) teams playing against us in our early PL days, Arsenal were basically wholly reliant on long balls over the top hoping Saka or Smith-Rowe would run onto them (and Burn / Duffy both did brilliantly a couple of times to deny them in fairness)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Agreed. Though if you read the papers - and a lot of the comments on their websites - Arsenal losing possession was all because of the terrible weather that stopped them playing their devastating attacking football. Strange how we seemed to be able to control the ball and pass it to each other, despite the rain. The Gunners' players must have their own unique micro-climate.

As for the bloke in the Independent, who described it as 'dull'...... you really have to wonder whether he's watched a full football match before. Maybe just goes by 3 minute clips on Youtube if he can't appreciate that there's more to some matches than the scoreline...

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The press let us push forward so well. I even loved that we put in a few fouls to stop possible counter attacks - a bit nastier than we were last year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here