Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What age did you succumb to waterproof trousers ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have never worn anything other than shorts or jeans to a football match (maybe a suit many years ago), even at the theatre of trees.

I've just found a pair of waterproof trousers in my son's old bedroom, I'm guessing from when he was hiking or something, and I'm seriously tempted ???

So, how old were you the first time you wore waterproof trousers to football. You're amongst friends and no one will know :wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Probably about 4.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Time to dig out the Withdean ponchos!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
...and what about waterproof pants?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have never worn anything other than shorts or jeans to a football match (maybe a suit many years ago), even at the theatre of trees.

I've just found a pair of waterproof trousers in my son's old bedroom, I'm guessing from when he was hiking or something, and I'm seriously tempted ???

So, how old were you the first time you wore waterproof trousers to football. You're amongst friends and no one will know :wink:

About 17. It was an evening game against someone (I thought it was Leeds, but the scores and times don't fit). There was some issue with buses or something, and I didn't have a bike at the time. My mate lent me his mum's old bike, which was a 'sit-up-and-beg' and had metal rods to the brakes. Anyhow, I cycled it from Southwick along the Old Shoreham Road and locked it in the Park Tavern car park. Then stood on the Chicken Run.

It poured all the way there, and all through the game. We were losing 0-2, were never going to score, and then the wind got up as well - driving straight in my face. Really extremely miserable all round.

It remains the only game I have ever left early.

To cycle home into the wind and rain.

I wore waterproof trousers that day! Or 'leggings' as we called them, not sure why.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
About 17. It was an evening game against someone (I thought it was Leeds, but the scores and times don't fit). There was some issue with buses or something, and I didn't have a bike at the time. My mate lent me his mum's old bike, which was a 'sit-up-and-beg' and had metal rods to the brakes. Anyhow, I cycled it from Southwick along the Old Shoreham Road and locked it in the Park Tavern car park. Then stood on the Chicken Run.

It poured all the way there, and all through the game. We were losing 0-2, were never going to score, and then the wind got up as well - driving straight in my face. Really extremely miserable all round.

It remains the only game I have ever left early.

To cycle home into the wind and rain.

I wore waterproof trousers that day! Or 'leggings' as we called them, not sure why.

Well let's hope it's not a sign as I've decided to wear the ****ers tonight. See everyone there :albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will need a liquid proof bed after our 1-9 drubbing today.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
In my teens. Learned quick as a caddy at the golf course that they were useful :)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sadly the father in law's golf water proof trousers did get a fair few outings at the Withdean. Horrible things but sometimes required................. Rochdale at home on that Friday night springs to mind! And we lost 3-4

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Wore them at cub camp whilst at Broadstone Warren, not since.
But I'm guessing I'll where them as I get older, not for rain , but incase my colostomy bag explodes, if I ever get to wear one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sorry statty, those poppy seeds will be shoved up your arse with this constant negativity. Still in the jar

Yep.

I've been doom and gloom all day.

(Whispering) it's normally a good sign.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As a Biker, full set of waterproofs very early on in my Riding Career. They weren't all that good back in the 1980's unless you paid an absolute fortune but they would be OK for short rides.

However when I met Mrs Jakarta at a party in Portslade and I was working in Widnes Cheshire invested in what I thought were a tip top full set over full set of leathers, bike boots and gloves.

I would ride down to stay over Friday & Saturday nights, very often going watch music at the Wick. Come tearful farewell Sunday Afternoon the sky was pitch black. It rained gently all the way up the A23/M23, around Heathrow it was pissing it down and I could feel a little leakage taking place (Ooh Er Missus).

By the time I was somewhere between Oxford and Banbury the M40 looked like a river and the leakage was such I could feel my fingers and toes squelching away. It was late July and the rain was actually quite warm.

By the time I got past Birmingham I was actually pissing myself laughing (which didn't help of course) and I realised you sometimes get so wet you cannot actually get any wetter.

By the time I got up to Northwich for my last 10 miles it stopped of course! Good old GpZ500 had never missed a beat, got into Porch and started stripping.

I literally poured the water out of my boots and got my other gear off. Both my hands and feet were jet black due to the leathers die running, took several days to get it out. Collapsed on the settee with a Beer to hear the telephone ringing. Mrs Jakarta "Oooh it's rained hard down here, I hope you didn't get too wet". :lolol:

Wouldn't dream of riding any distance in that sort of rain these days of course...

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Wearing a pair today is a depressing reminder of the difference between waterproof and water resistant clothing. Don't get me started on my "weatherproof" walking shoes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here