Date: Saturday 2nd October 2021
Kick-off: 17:30 BST
Referee: Jonathan Moss
Assistants: Marc Perry, Timothy Wood
Fourth Official: John Brooks
VAR: Chris Kavanagh
Additional VAR: James Mainwaring

TEAM NEWS

Brighton will continue to monitor key midfielder Yves Bissouma, who has sat out two games with a knee problem.

Danny Welbeck and Steven Alzate are unavailable after being forced off at Crystal Palace, while Enock Mwepu and Adam Webster remain sidelined.

Arsenal's only absentee is midfielder Granit Xhaka, who will be missing for three months after suffering a knee ligament injury last weekend.

Albert Sambi Lokonga may replace Xhaka in the Gunners' starting line-up.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Arsenal won both of last season's encounters but overall have only claimed three victories in eight Premier League matches against Brighton (D2, L3).
    [*=left]They are vying to win back-to-back league games away to Brighton for the first time since April 1981.
    [*=left]The only previous top-flight meeting which took place with Albion higher in the table was a goalless draw at Highbury in January 1982.
Albion

• [*=left]Brighton's 2-0 defeat by Everton in August is their only loss in eight home league games.
    [*=left]Albion have earned five wins during this run, as many victories as in their previous 29 top-flight matches at the Amex Stadium.
    [*=left]Their tally of seven clean sheets in Premier League home matches this calendar year is exceeded only by Manchester City and Chelsea, who each have nine.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have conceded 24 top-flight penalties since promotion in 2017 - the only sides penalised more often during this period are Tottenham and Leicester, with 26 and 25 respectively.
    [*=left]Graham Potter's side have faced just 16 shots on target in this season's Premier League - only Manchester City have fared better.
    [*=left]Neil Maupay has scored with 44.4% of his shots in the top flight this season (four of nine, excluding blocked efforts), the highest rate of any player with more than five attempts in the current campaign.
    [*=left]Maupay scored the winner in his two previous Premier League starts against Arsenal.
Arsenal

• [*=left]The Gunners are the fourth side to lose their opening three top-flight games before winning the next three, emulating Aston Villa in 1982, Wimbledon in 1996 and West Brom in 2002.
    [*=left]Arsenal have won nine of their past 15 top-flight away matches (D2, L4) - only Manchester City and Liverpool have better records over the same period, earning 13 and 10 victories respectively.
    [*=left]Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has scored five goals in his last five league and cup games, more than in his previous 17 appearances for the Gunners.
    [*=left]Aubameyang netted in each of his first three top-flight matches versus Brighton but has failed to score in his subsequent four outings against them.

Graham Potter's Arsenal Press Conference

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I think I will have to sit this one out as I have a heavy cold.

I think the Albion will win today, but it could be as nerve racking as the Leicester game.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
135/1, but add in the bookies margin and it's more like 200/1 to be Numero Uno after this weekend's matches.
We were a 33/1 chance the previous weekend and had come into 6/4 with just the Palace game to go.

PL 21 - 22  MW 7.PNG

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Arsenal no doubt will be confident since they have won their last three. They are a huge club with deep recourses .....and Ben White .
In the past I would have been looking to keep their score down and lose by as little as possible.. BUT .. we are a match for anyone on our day. With Maupay in form .. we can beat these Gunners!
No predictions from me but we must believe. We can do this ! :albion2:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
1. I don’t normally watch the pressers but GP comes across as a sensible bloke, the beard was probably the final piece added to a very solid package. My only quibble is that he does have that slight rising lilt at the end of most sentences that we’ve all used when speaking abroad, possibly a hangover from his time speaking to Swedish journalists. Dare I say a bit of the Steve McLaren-

https://youtu.be/2ZnoP4sUV90

2. I thought Palace normally use one of those pony extendable tunnels to protect the players from the braying masses- where was that on Monday- in for repairs?

3. I cannot believe, this far into the season, we are still, so, incredibly, LOOOSE. I’m going for 3-1 to the Albion today, hope the players spend the extra 150 mins build up time wisely.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Bad fan missing the game as oop north

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Quite up for this.

I used to have a familial soft spot for them (dad’s from Kings Cross, step dad was a STH there). A combination of AFTV, their hilarious library stadium, the tear stained over reaction to the Leno incident and the line of middle class kids in brand new Arsenal replica shirts getting off the train at Hove after our first PL game up there have slowly made me despise them, the plastic pricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The Palace tunnel only allows for the traditional entrance from the main stand. Since COVID away teams use a porta cabin and no longer reap the benefit of said tunnel.

Shouldn't be an issue much longer with the opening of the magnificent new stand.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Seagulls Travel have just anounced a new route.
ST97 will be moored up in Shoreham harbour and it's route will be up Portslade H/Street, A27 and will dock at the University bus stop. Life Jackets will be supplied.
2:1 to the good boys in blue. Maupay to score via a five minute VAR desicion.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Moss? Wonder if it is too late to get a refund on the coach. :ffsparr:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quite up for this.

I used to have a familial soft spot for them (dad’s from Kings Cross, step dad was a STH there). A combination of AFTV, their hilarious library stadium, the tear stained over reaction to the Leno incident and the line of middle class kids in brand new Arsenal replica shirts getting off the train at Hove after our first PL game up there have slowly made me despise them, the plastic pricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A heartwarming story of transition. I salute you :bowdown:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hoping for a win, but I’d take a draw.
Arsenal are in form and we will miss Danny and probably Biss.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Hoping for a win, but I’d take a draw.
Arsenal are in form and we will miss Danny and probably Biss.

I don’t think the 3-1 v Spurs should be used as a yardstick. Spurs were SHOCKING and had just lost 3-0 at Palace!!
I hope Arsenal players and fans are doing their usual over reacting. It’s either sack the manager or they’ve found the new Wenger, after EVERY game!!
Out of the ‘big’ 6 clubs I’ve always found Arsenal fans to be the most disillusioned.

If all their players card a 7+/10 performance then they’ll likely win, if they don’t then we are more than capable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The second time we've played Arsenal 'after the lord mayor's show' here's hoping the team put in a bit more effort than the last time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here