Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Good article from The Cricketer about Sussex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is a nicely balanced piece. It's interesting to hear Rob Andrew admit that the club got it wrong in sending so many young players out - the question is, what is he going to do about it? We need a really senior batter to help. It's good that Ben Brown is tied up for a couple more years.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics...erstanding_sussex_what_is_happening_hove.html

The stuff about The Hundred is interesting too. I hope the ECB does draw a clear distinction between the counties and the 100.

I don't know if anyone saw Leicestershire's rather salty tweet about Marcus Harris last week: about how they couldn't compete financially with bigger counties. Well, Harris has signed for ... Gloucestershire. So, maybe it really isn't about The Hundred

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Thank you. An interesting review. Three stand out points:

Sussex have not won a trophy since 2009

How long has Andrew been CEO?

No quote from Ben Brown

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sussex have not won a trophy since 2009

When you think about the team we've been able to put out during that time, there are some really serious parallels you can draw between the England "golden generation" football team of the mid-noughties and the Sussex team of the last decade in terms of major underachievement.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thank you. An interesting review. Three stand out points:

Sussex have not won a trophy since 2009 - Indeed and have put their eggs in the T20 basket, with little joy

How long has Andrew been CEO? - 2016 (I think)

No quote from Ben Brown - I'm not sure why there should be

The BB thing rings true. I was speaking to Sussex staff member last week who said Brown is Sussex through-and-through and wasn't going anywhere. His batting was excellent once he'd been relieved of the captaincy, so I'm sure he's in a good place.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The BB thing rings true. I was speaking to Sussex staff member last week who said Brown is Sussex through-and-through and wasn't going anywhere. His batting was excellent once he'd been relieved of the captaincy, so I'm sure he's in a good place.

was it ever stated that he was relieved of the captaincy so he could concentrate on his batting? I'm not sure I would be in a good place if I lost the captaincy to an uncapped player (at the time).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's interesting that the piece makes reference to players who have moved on: you could not together a team of ex-Sussex players

Nash
Salt
Wells
Finch
Evans
Muyeye
Burgess
Jordan
Smith
Briggs
Topley

OK, it's a bit of a cheat as Nash has just retired and Muyeye only played Second XI but it shows the number of people we've let go

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
What encourages me is that they are financially stable. They have also struggled with availabilities.

The actual red ball attack would normally expect to have Archer, Robinson and Garton. Go figure.

Salt not available for the red ball. So they have hands tied and have played youngsters rather than jounreymen. If they had turned up well in the T20 I'm sure the critics would have been muted.

But many critics don't give a penny to the club.

As for the Eastbourne connection, that's Allan Wells at St Bede's. It would be good to see him coming into the club in some capacity. It is clear that he is producing a youth army down there.

I'm very positive about Sussex, forget the results, I see a strategy. Not perfect, but folk need patience.

Thanks for the article, Max. It's good to see The Cricketer still in publication. I remember keenly awaiting its monthly delivery to my newsagent as a kid. I used to read it cover to cover.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
was it ever stated that he was relieved of the captaincy so he could concentrate on his batting? I'm not sure I would be in a good place if I lost the captaincy to an uncapped player (at the time).

It was never stated but what I've heard is that it was because of Sussex's poor disciplinary record and the club needed to be seen to be doing something. I've no idea whether that was true or not but there was an awful lot of dissent in the early part of the season - it does seem to have been reduced.

Brown would have been told the reasons, even if they're not being made public.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It was never stated but what I've heard is that it was because of Sussex's poor disciplinary record and the club needed to be seen to be doing something. I've no idea whether that was true or not but there was an awful lot of dissent in the early part of the season - it does seem to have been reduced.

Brown would have been told the reasons, even if they're not being made public.

Thanks. I guess we’ll never know. Probably the right thing.

Let’s see where he is next season

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What encourages me is that they are financially stable. They have also struggled with availabilities.

The actual red ball attack would normally expect to have Archer, Robinson and Garton. Go figure.

Salt not available for the red ball. So they have hands tied and have played youngsters rather than jounreymen. If they had turned up well in the T20 I'm sure the critics would have been muted.

But many critics don't give a penny to the club.

As for the Eastbourne connection, that's Allan Wells at St Bede's. It would be good to see him coming into the club in some capacity. It is clear that he is producing a youth army down there.

I'm very positive about Sussex, forget the results, I see a strategy. Not perfect, but folk need patience.

Thanks for the article, Max. It's good to see The Cricketer still in publication. I remember keenly awaiting its monthly delivery to my newsagent as a kid. I used to read it cover to cover.

The club is in a good place. The development will bring in a bit of a windfall and there's going to be steady income after it's completed.

What I am encouraged by is the work that's gone into developing better links with the clubs and the schools. You mention Bede's but don't forget BACA.

Yeah, I like The Cricketer. I worked there briefly and wrote a few things for it. I was offered a permanent job but the salary was derisory. When I pointed this out I was told, "Yes, we were looking for someone with a private income". That's cricket for you :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here