Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Remember Charlton 'stealing' fans from around Sussex?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Topic came up this morning as I had a tradesman round who grew up in Hastings in the 90s.... but supports Charlton.

His mum used to send him on a coach to The Valley. £5 for day out.

A very different time.

Actually, didn't CAFC once have posters up at Brighton station? It's unimaginable in a social media age.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes l remember it well, l think quite a few Sussex footie fans became Charlton supporters through being coached up to the Valley back in the day.

Presumably those coaches no longer exist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes l remember it well, l think quite a few Sussex footie fans became Charlton supporters through being coached up to the Valley back in the day.

Presumably those coaches no longer exist.

Even if the did, they wouldn’t have any petrol.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Remember they did a pick up from Sainsburys in West Hove

Jul 7, 2003
Given that Seagull Travel have regular pickups in Havant and Tunbridge Wells, we wouldn't be able to take the high ground on this nowadays.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Given that Seagull Travel have regular pickups in Havant and Tunbridge Wells, we wouldn't be able to take the high ground on this nowadays.

AFAIK, Brighton & Hove Albion FC don't advertise on billboards in those areas?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Well it's the nearest ground (of the 92) to Tunbridge Wells, so surely that's fair enough? Palace is 3 miles further, and also rank.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Actually, didn't CAFC once have posters up at Brighton station? It's unimaginable in a social media age.

There was a poster (Sompting Seagull) I think who defaced these posters when spotted.

I was talking to a father and son on the train once and the father said they were Albion fans back in the day - but just wanted to watch football on a Saturday afternoon and started watching Palace during the war years.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There was a poster (Sompting Seagull) I think who defaced these posters when spotted.

I was talking to a father and son on the train once and the father said they were Albion fans back in the day - but just wanted to watch football on a Saturday afternoon and started watching Palace during the war years.

Switching allegiance from the Albion to Palarse . . . l mean, it just isn't natural is it? :rant:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
To be fair to Charlton, they were very good at encouraging fans of football to visit the valley in the 90s and 00s - I remember going with a coach load of school kids and teachers (me being one of them!) to watch Charlton vs......BHA! The 4-0 game when Poyet was in charge and we were mustard. Either the week before or after, the club battered Peterborough away 3-0 or 4-0 to get us all excited. The football around then for lower leagues was quality. Weird being in the home end but being able to cheer on BHA and celebrate goals and not looking over ones shoulder so to speak.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Only been to Charlton twice, can't remember the score against the Albion the first time, but the second time... The Who.... wow!! what a concert!!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Well it's the nearest ground (of the 92) to Tunbridge Wells, so surely that's fair enough? Palace is 3 miles further, and also rank.

I am originally from Tunbridge Wells, it never crossed my mind to go to Gillingham when I first started watching live football, even The Goldstone was far easier to get to than Gillingham by Dad's car.
Even a Southdown bus went directly to Brighton.
The first time I went to the Goldstone, that was it, hooked, aged 14.
And, later on, there was no pub as good as The 5 Bells at Chailey to get pissed in on the way down.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
To be fair, if you were looking for new supporters with an inbuilt, entirely understandable loathing of CPFC where else would you look?

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
To be fair to Charlton, they were very good at encouraging fans of football to visit the valley in the 90s and 00s - I remember going with a coach load of school kids and teachers (me being one of them!) to watch Charlton vs......BHA! The 4-0 game when Poyet was in charge and we were mustard. Either the week before or after, the club battered Peterborough away 3-0 or 4-0 to get us all excited. The football around then for lower leagues was quality. Weird being in the home end but being able to cheer on BHA and celebrate goals and not looking over ones shoulder so to speak.
You must be young? Edit, you were a teacher after I read it back.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I remember seeing Charlton posters in the early 2000’s around Worthing and Hastings!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It was most certainly 'Stepping on our Patch' in the 70s and 80s. London teams sent scouts to all Grammar and Secondary Modern schools to poach local talent. No longer....we is BIG and BEAUTIFUL!

Charlton Pathetic!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here