Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Eight weeks jail for Facebook racist post about West Brom player

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-58738771.amp

The fan,who abused Romaine Sawyers, blamed his phone’s autocorrect.

Surely he would’ve edited it or deleted it, if that was the case.

Absolutely no problem with clamping down on hate crimes.
But this is a shit joke by a Neanderthal, 50 year old, dickhead.
Obviously the auto-correct line is a load of shit.

8 weeks in prison, seems a might overzealous, unless he has previous.
Alternatively he may have been behaving like a total dickhead in court.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Glad you said it first. I tend to agree, surely he must have previous?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The bloke is a lying racist. His feed contained other 'White Lives Matter' posts and other such nonsense.

I had a little exchange this afternoon on twitter, with a couple of clowns seeking to defend this dick, on the auto-correct grounds. One commented that he absolutely believed him, as he'd tried typing 'bafoon' in and on his phone too, it had autocorrected to baboon.

I helpfully pointed out that autocorrect is dynamic, and will offer words that you've regularly used previously...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Oh dear.
How sad.
Never mind.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The bloke is a lying racist. His feed contained other 'White Lives Matter' posts and other such nonsense.

I had a little exchange this afternoon on twitter, with a couple of clowns seeking to defend this dick, on the auto-correct grounds. One commented that he absolutely believed him, as he'd tried typing 'bafoon' in and on his phone too, it had autocorrected to baboon.

I helpfully pointed out that autocorrect is dynamic, and will offer words that you've regularly used previously...

I don't doubt it

All I'm saying is that on first sight, 8 weeks in prison for a shit racist joke, on it's own, seems overzealous.
Obviously News websites will only post a few lines on the case, but I would hope that the prosecution were unable to unearth more evidence of his true character, that contributed to the sentence.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Jail for racist trolling is ridiculous when people that physically attack and harm people sometimes get away with a suspended sentence.

Racist words is wrong but physical harm is even worse and should be treated so by the courts .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't doubt it

All I'm saying is that on first sight, 8 weeks in prison for a shit racist joke, on it's own, seems overzealous.
Obviously News websites will only post a few lines on the case, but I would hope that the prosecution were unable to unearth more evidence of his true character, that contributed to the sentence.

I'm not sure if they did unearth anything beyond a few other questionable facebook posts, or whether they just decided this unlucky (racist) tw4t, was the one they were going to make an example of.

I've no sympathy for the chap at all, but the sentence does seem draconian, and I'm far from convinced that housing him for a month or more is taxpayers money well spent.. People get less for burgling folks' houses.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No sympathy here. I love it how authorities here and overseas (eg the keyboard Gooner in Singapore who targeted Maupay) are catching up with these racist cowards. Over time imho that will have an effect, for all but the most dim.

But with a sweetener of a lifetime ban from ever attending another Baggies game.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I had a little exchange this afternoon on twitter, with a couple of clowns….

I have given up arguing on Twitter.
It’s like playing chess with a pigeon.
Doesn’t matter how strong your game is, at some point the pigeon will shit all over the board, knock all the pieces over then fly off thinking it’s won.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In the overall scheme of things a fairly objectionable **** has got an excessive sentence.
He's being made an example of and similarly minded twats will think twice.

It will do nothing to change hearts and minds, but overall it's probably a good thing.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In the overall scheme of things a fairly objectionable **** has got an excessive sentence.

It will do nothing to change hearts and minds, but overall it's probably a good thing.

Exactly how I think about it. He's been made an example of. Harsh on an individual level, but good on a societal level

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He'd have got off if he was driving a pink Range Rover.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not sure if they did unearth anything beyond a few other questionable facebook posts, or whether they just decided this unlucky (racist) tw4t, was the one they were going to make an example of.

I've no sympathy for the chap at all, but the sentence does seem draconian, and I'm far from convinced that housing him for a month or more is taxpayers money well spent.. People get less for burgling folks' houses.

From his location, possibly Winson Green will be his accommodation? Given the criminal justice system we have, and the demographics of the area, it might make for an interesting stay. It might not.

Given that, as far as I'm aware, we still lock more people up than any other country in Western Europe, I'm not convinced a prison sentence is necessarily the best outcome for all here. Perhaps some community service that brings him into contact with a wider cross section of people might help?

Either way, I have no sympathy for him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I wouldn’t hold out hope. A lot of them haven’t even thought once yet.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
He'd have got off if he was driving a pink Range Rover.

My first thought. You get pissed, take drugs, then roll your car whilst on your 6th driving ban - and you get told to go and get help. You type a load of twatty words into your phone and whoomp... straight to the cells. :shrug:

Before some people spit their beer all over their screens thinking I'm making light of racial abuse, I'm not - but the way both of these crimes have been handled just seem at odds with each other.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My first thought. You get pissed, take drugs, then roll your car whilst on your 6th driving ban - and you get told to go and get help. You type a load of twatty words into your phone and whoomp... straight to the cells. :shrug:

Before some people spit their beer all over their screens thinking I'm making light of racial abuse, I'm not - but the way both of these crimes have been handled just seem at odds with each other.

No I'm with you.

But even on the social media side of things, I don't think he even directed the abuse directly at the player. ( I could be wrong though)
As I understand it he made a racist joke on a facebook group. set up to mock the player's ability.

Fair enough having stiffer sentences for people actively targeting the people with hate speech, that warrants jail time in my book.
But as I said above, I don't really give a shit about a racist getting an unreasonable sentence.
Far worse miscarriages of justice going the other way, over the years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here