Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Good Bye Great Britain

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Probably for the best. Nobody sane can say GREAT Britain anymore with a straight face.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I bet the Daily Mail comments section on this story is an absolute treat.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is this the moment we go “GB2010” to try and avoid our responsibilities?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh dear, no longer are we going to be Great Britain as the Government finally recognize they've undermined that title so it's all going to be UK from now on, starting with your GB sticker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58734265

Although about half of all Scots and Northern Irish citizens do not want a part of it ! This just continues our slide from global power to nonentities.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Are there any other examples of places that use 'Great', or equivalent in their languages, to describe a place the size of GB?

Not great itself but Greater London, Greater Manchester etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s called great because it’s the largest land mass in the British Isles. I think we all know that. I was having a little dig, put your teeth back in gentlemen.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Are there any other examples of places that use 'Great', or equivalent in their languages, to describe a place the size of GB?

Not sure. It’s a Hoot Hoot at Pontins Park though .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It’s called great because it’s the largest land mass in the British Isles. I think we all know that. I was having a little dig, put your teeth back in gentlemen.

Great might describe the largest land mass in the British Isles but United is really not an apt description of the inhabitants of Kingdom!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know that Great Britain and the United Kingdom have always been technically slightly different, but I've never bothered with remembering the exact definitions (some bits of GB aren't part of the UK or vice versa). I've always been quite happy to be a citizen of the UK, and of GB, so it doesn't bother me which one we use. I don't think many people will be bothered about this - if they've got GB plates on their car and want to travel abroad, it's a minor inconvenience, and that's about it.

Storm in a teacup? Nah - more :shrug:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Out of all the things I could be bothered about, this is pretty close to the very bottom of the list.

If you plan on taking your/a UK registered car/van/truck/motorcycle on a ferry or tunnel to mainland Europe you’ll need to be bothered.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Great Yarmouth (Originally Magna Yarmouth) is so called to distinguish it from Little Yarmouth.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
GB has always been an island, not a country, hasn’t it?

I don't think that England is 'officially' a country but a region as per exigere legem

I've never used the term 'Britain' or even 'Great Britain' just UK or England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here