Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Women"s FA Cup Quarter-Final Brighton V Charlton

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Only reached the semi-finals once before in history of the club, back in 1976 when they were known as Brighton GPO.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
1-0 up after 68 mins against the Tier 2 side.

Semi-finals on Sunday 31st October. Last season both games were on the BBC, so a chance to see them on TV.

Arsenal and Man City look like they're going through, so it's one of Chelsea or Birmingham to complete the last 4.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Albion to play Arsenal in their Semi-Final.

Chelsea v Man City in the other.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
1-0 up after 68 mins against the Tier 2 side.

Semi-finals on Sunday 31st October. Last season both games were on the BBC, so a chance to see them on TV.

Arsenal and Man City look like they're going through, so it's one of Chelsea or Birmingham to complete the last 4.

They’re on TV this Saturday, on the free Sky Showcase channel (106)

Last edited:

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Just back from the game. Charlton gave it a good go, and it was quite end to end at times, but our pressure told as they tired and Gibbons fired it home from inside the penalty area. Credit to Charlton they never gave up, and Walsh had to make a very good save just before the end to keep us ahead.

Congrats to the ladies on making it to the semifinals! Draw has given us Arsenal away which is going to be tough but as underdogs in that game we can go for it with nothing to lose.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Will be interesting to watch the game against Arsenal. I know* their manager.

* = I've met him twice and we didnt like eachother

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm just watching the Chelsea v Man City game in preparation for our semi against Arsenal later.

I still struggle a bit with women's football to be honest. The Chelsea goal is yet another example of the generally woeful goalkeeping in the women's game.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oops... Make that two soft goals for Chelsea.

I accept that this is City's third choice keeper apparently, but even so.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm just watching the Chelsea v Man City game in preparation for our semi against Arsenal later.

I still struggle a bit with women's football to be honest. The Chelsea goal is yet another example of the generally woeful goalkeeping in the women's game.

Do you struggle with them going to the store when they cant quite reach something from the top shelf?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do you struggle with them going to the store when they cant quite reach something from the top shelf?

Eh?

I find the women's game less enjoyable than the men's. It all feels laboured, as though the pitch is too big. And the goalkeeping is often woeful, meaning weak shots from distance often go in.

During the Olympics I watched all the handball, but only the women's. I find it faster and much more exciting than the men's.

If I had to choose what to watch in tennis, I'd go women's everytime. More rallies, less serve point nonsense.

In cycling, my first love, I'll watch both, although admittedly more men's as there's just so much of it to keep up with. The women's peloton is being very harshly treated still in the parcours they're given, not to mention the travesty of prize money disparity. However, the shorter parcours for the women does often lead to more attacking races than the men's. I think this had been noted as we see more and more stages in men's grand tours being shorter now to encourage more attacking from the off.

Is that all ok by you?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Eh?

I find the women's game less enjoyable than the men's. It all feels laboured, as though the pitch is too big. And the goalkeeping is often woeful, meaning weak shots from distance often go in.

During the Olympics I watched all the handball, but only the women's. I find it faster and much more exciting than the men's.

If I had to choose what to watch in tennis, I'd go women's everytime. More rallies, less serve point nonsense.

In cycling, my first love, I'll watch both, although admittedly more men's as there's just so much of it to keep up with. The women's peloton is being very harshly treated still in the parcours they're given, not to mention the travesty of prize money disparity. However, the shorter parcours for the women does often lead to more attacking races than the men's. I think this had been noted as we see more and more stages in men's grand tours being shorter now to encourage more attacking from the off.

Is that all ok by you?

Yes. Just think that the timeless moans about female GK quality is a bit tedious and unnecessary. Same with the pace. The mens game is the norm so people compare it to that, but is that fair? It becomes more enjoyable if you just look at it for what it is.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Perhaps they should make the goals in the women's game slightly smaller then? Although I'm sure some naughty men would then go on the internet and claim that the shooting was less powerful and accurate :rolleyes:

Many, many years ago I played for our work 5-a-side team and we used to play once a year in an open tournament in Kent. It was as much a jolly as a sporting contest and usually only men's teams but one year a team entered made up of the Welsh University Ladies - essentially the best female players from any university in Wales.

These young, fit (as in athletically) and properly coached girls had the misfortune of drawing us first up - a team of variously sized office workers who had spent the previous night drinking till 4am in a nightclub called "Bonkers" and the hotel bar.

They played us off the pitch and we barely got near them, yet we won 1-0 (and got booed off). They had a number of shots, all very weak and straight at our keeper. We had one shot and it went straight through their keeper.

Women's football is a different game to men's just as the poster you quote says about tennis (and I agree, women's tennis is FAR better to watch than men's). If you choose to play on a pitch and using equipment that doesn't quite suit that different game, people are going to point out the deficiencies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here