Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] World of Sport Memories

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Last ever edition presented by Dickie Davies 36 years ago today in 1985.

Remember Kenny Dalglish putting the ball through Ray Clemence's legs at Hampden in 1976, and the commentator, who I believe for that day was Hugh Johns, saying "And Clemence's day is complete"

A huge part of our sporting childhood, from On the Ball to the Wrestling.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
My first views of the Tour de France which I have loved ever since - Eddie Mercyx et al.

Speedway.

The interminable racing results, whilst waiting for the football results.

Obscure sports like Lumberjack standing on logs in a lake competitions (or did I dream that?)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Remember Kenny Dalglish putting the ball through Ray Clemence's legs at Hampden in 1976, and the commentator, who I believe for that day was Hugh Johns, saying "And Clemence's day is complete"

A huge part of our sporting childhood, from On the Ball to the Wrestling.

Wasn't that on the Beeb and David Coleman?

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Remember having to watch the wrestling with my great aunt, she loved it and no one was getting control (that is press the 1 or 2 button on the tv) of the tv whilst it was on

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
First game of American Football I ever saw was the 1982 Washington/Iowa Rose Bowl on World of Sport. When the NFL finally came to the C4 I mistakenly thought the Washington Football Team were the same as the one I had watched a year before so ending up supporting them. Wasn't too bad for the first seven years, the last 30 or so have been fairly grim though. Thanks World of Sport!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I seem to remember World of Sport being a bit shit in comparison to Grandstand.

A few random sports covered.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
My first views of the Tour de France which I have loved ever since - Eddie Mercyx et al.

Speedway.

The interminable racing results, whilst waiting for the football results.

Obscure sports like Lumberjack standing on logs in a lake competitions (or did I dream that?)

Eddy Mucks shirley?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Got vague memories of Dicky Davies in front of us above the tunnel at the 83 cup final, where he must’ve been reporting for World of Sport.
We were sitting on the ledge just behind and can just make out my Union flag.

7FAD7F02-3D72-4934-B823-A29447C51FAF.jpeg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Remember having to watch the wrestling with my great aunt, she loved it and no one was getting control (that is press the 1 or 2 button on the tv) of the tv whilst it was on

Indeed, the wrestling, introduced by Kent Walton, was a weekly highlight in our household as a kid. Will always remember my late mum, (Bless her soul), brandishing her handbag and trying to get into the tv, as soon as Mick McManus made an appearance. :catfight:

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Fantastic theme tune and the opening credits with the bi-plane.

Some random sport from around the world, The ITV7 and then a bit of speedway before the wrestling, finishing with the football scores.

I feel like Ron Manager reminiscing!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My memory of World Of Sport was that the racing results used to go on forever.
Better than Grandstand though because they had the racing results and the rugby union results.
Painful waiting for the football results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here