Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “We played them off the park…daylight robbery” etc etc

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone else a bit confused where this narrative over last night game has come from? Seems to be every palace fans thoughts on the match…

Truth is in 90 mins they created one very decent chance (around 0.35 xG, still) and got a penalty from a moment of stupidity from Tross. It was hardly like our complete and utter domination in the two games last season.

We weren’t good by any means, but apart from Watford I would say that’s the least threatened defensively we’ve been. 0-0 would have been totally fair…..but the 1-1 and all the scenes obviously much more fun ;)

And all this without Webster, Lamptey, and most importantly Biss.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Was thinking if they consider that a good match from their team then they’re in for a long season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They were marginally the better team but we were pretty poor but organised. Performances not as pretty as last season but results better - it’s deliberate. 4 big chances in game - 2 to them (1 being a pen) and 2 to us (Welbs and the goal) - certainly not even on the same planet as both games last season. They’re just looking for something to cling to after the beautiful scenes last night :lol: Draw was fair (for once in this game).

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
- Equal number of shots (8 at home!)
- they had 3 on target (including a penalty), we had 4
- we had more possession

Just goes to show the shit they’ve been served up in the past few seasons if this was a ‘top Palace performance’

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Vincente Guaita had a great match. As did Ayew.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Anyone else a bit confused where this narrative over last night game has come from? Seems to be every palace fans thoughts on the match…

Truth is in 90 mins they created one very decent chance (around 0.35 xG, still) and got a penalty from a moment of stupidity from Tross. It was hardly like our complete and utter domination in the two games last season.

We weren’t good by any means, but apart from Watford I would say that’s the least threatened defensively we’ve been. 0-0 would have been totally fair…..but the 1-1 and all the scenes obviously much more fun ;)

Seems quite a few online are basing this on being 1 nil up for 45 odd minutes and reaching quite a bit

I don’t think this supports their view other than having more throw ins than us

c64444bb4009ddfaffe7eca80b56d191.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think "it shows how important fans are" (god, that's become such a cliche). But the atmosphere the fans created (and lets be honest, they did a decent job this time - I know we like to point to mics being strategically placed to sell a narrative, but they were up for it last night) gave an impression of danger, and thrills in Palace's game that weren't really there. Behind closed doors, and the exact same match would be seen as more balanced, a lot of good pressure, but not doing enough to make it count from palace, organised and discipline from Brighton without much creativity or threat.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Their xG was only 1.31. Take away the pen and it’d have been only 0.55. I’ve no idea where the narrative of us being played off the park comes from.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

"Palace played quite 'Brighton-esque football' at times, especially in the first half"

Emlyn Begley, BBC Sport.

That made me chuckle. :albion2:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Palace fan Ed Aarons continues the agenda in his Guardian match report. It’s all very bizarre.

I read that. It seemed weird. There's this section that actually cover the match
After a huge reception from the home fans for Zaha, Palace began positively but they found Brighton’s five-man defence difficult to break down and had only a blocked effort from Conor Gallagher to show for their dominance during the opening 15 minutes.

Having made 14 of those 400 appearances against Brighton, Zaha had been urged by Vieira to use his experience of this intense occasion to help guide his younger teammates. However, a lapse from Tyrick Mitchell almost allowed Leandro Trossard to open the scoring just after the half-hour mark before Danny Welbeck wasted a great chance after being played in by Sánchez’s punt forward.

Replays suggested Welbeck may have been impeded as he attempted to lift the ball over Guaita but no penalty was given. But Palace’s endeavour eventually paid off on the stroke of half-time after a period of concerted pressure.

Trossard’s foul on Gallagher left the referee, Andre Marriner, with no choice but to point to the spot and Zaha slammed the penalty past Sánchez before cupping his ears as he celebrated in front of the Brighton fans in the away end.

Potter responded by switching to a back four in an attempt to limit Palace’s superiority in midfield. It seemed to have an immediate effect as Lewis Dunk forced Guaita into a save from a Marc Cucurella free-kick.

The arrival of Benteke with 20 minutes to play was a sure sign that Vieira sensed an opportunity to pile pressure on Brighton’s defence as they went looking for an equaliser.

The chance duly came with 14 minutes left when Gallagher’s interception allowed Benteke to set up Jordan Ayew, only for him to drag his effort wide with the goal gaping and stretch his barren run to 35 games.

“Jordan missing that chance was important but it is down to a lack of confidence and it is my responsibility to bring him back to what we know he can do,” said Vieira.

The true cost of his miss was revealed when Maupay pounced on Guaita’s error to deny the Palace manager a famous victory and leave Potter feeling mightily relieved.​

That is essentially "palace had one chance, blocked, in the first 15 minutes, there were two chances for brighton, one maybe should/could have been a penalty, then just before half time palace scored a penalty" Brighton made changes which improved them in the second half. With 15 minutes remaining palace had their final chance at goal and put it wide, brighton then scored." Which is, I think, an accurate assessment of the match, that doesn't really tally with the pre-amble that tried to sell the idea palace woz robbed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I read that. It seemed weird. There's this section that actually cover the match
After a huge reception from the home fans for Zaha, Palace began positively but they found Brighton’s five-man defence difficult to break down and had only a blocked effort from Conor Gallagher to show for their dominance during the opening 15 minutes.

Having made 14 of those 400 appearances against Brighton, Zaha had been urged by Vieira to use his experience of this intense occasion to help guide his younger teammates. However, a lapse from Tyrick Mitchell almost allowed Leandro Trossard to open the scoring just after the half-hour mark before Danny Welbeck wasted a great chance after being played in by Sánchez’s punt forward.

Replays suggested Welbeck may have been impeded as he attempted to lift the ball over Guaita but no penalty was given. But Palace’s endeavour eventually paid off on the stroke of half-time after a period of concerted pressure.

Trossard’s foul on Gallagher left the referee, Andre Marriner, with no choice but to point to the spot and Zaha slammed the penalty past Sánchez before cupping his ears as he celebrated in front of the Brighton fans in the away end.

Potter responded by switching to a back four in an attempt to limit Palace’s superiority in midfield. It seemed to have an immediate effect as Lewis Dunk forced Guaita into a save from a Marc Cucurella free-kick.

The arrival of Benteke with 20 minutes to play was a sure sign that Vieira sensed an opportunity to pile pressure on Brighton’s defence as they went looking for an equaliser.

The chance duly came with 14 minutes left when Gallagher’s interception allowed Benteke to set up Jordan Ayew, only for him to drag his effort wide with the goal gaping and stretch his barren run to 35 games.

“Jordan missing that chance was important but it is down to a lack of confidence and it is my responsibility to bring him back to what we know he can do,” said Vieira.

The true cost of his miss was revealed when Maupay pounced on Guaita’s error to deny the Palace manager a famous victory and leave Potter feeling mightily relieved.​

That is essentially "palace had one chance, blocked, in the first 15 minutes, there were two chances for brighton, one maybe should/could have been a penalty, then just before half time palace scored a penalty" Brighton made changes which improved them in the second half. With 15 minutes remaining palace had their final chance at goal and put it wide, brighton then scored." Which is, I think, an accurate assessment of the match, that doesn't really tally with the pre-amble that tried to sell the idea palace woz robbed.

He’s really hurting, what’s not to like?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It was a pretty shit match, with an exceptional ending.
SKy must have been delighted with us scoring, because they would have been padding that last half hour with **** knows what.

If that was palace playing us off the park then as above posters have said,they have a long season ahead! Yes, they were better than us last night in what was a poor game by our standards. Playing off the park is exactly what we did last season especially at the amex when they couldn't get out of their half for 85 mins,had 2 touches in our box and scored twice compared to our 20 odd efforts on their goal!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Totally confused prior to the penalty, I thought Zaha wasn't interested and hadn't caused any problems, as for the new passing style they are said to be playing, there were a lot of long balls from the back where their front three all sprinted forward.
Having got the lead at half time, they had 35% possession in the second half, although they did create one excellent chance, but that was really Palace of old, keep what we have and try and get something on the break.

But if they believe that is playing a team off the park, they are not going to improve any further if their bar has already been reached.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here