Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Positives from last night (Palace away)

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020
Usually see this thread after a game but haven't today, so....

- Gained a point despite no Bissouma, Webster of Lamptey
- Deprived Palace of all three points in their cup final with a last minute equaliser
- Maupay celebrating in front of their fans and then giving it some more AFTER the celebrations had ended
- Maupay firmly putting last season behind him

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah Maupay is the main one.

I have just heard WA's commentary where he said last season he would have taken a touch and lost the opportunity.
Absolutely spot on.

Veltman's assist was also a thing of beauty, particularly because of Guehi bottling an easy defensive header.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Usually see this thread after a game but haven't today, so....

- Gained a point despite no Bissouma, Webster of Lamptey
- Deprived Palace of all three points in their cup final with a last minute equaliser
- Maupay celebrating in front of their fans and then giving it some more AFTER the celebrations had ended
- Maupay firmly putting last season behind him

I have just heard WA's commentary where he said last season he would have taken a touch and lost the opportunity.
Absolutely spot on.

Veltman's assist was also a thing of beauty, particularly because of Guehi bottling an easy defensive header.

All of these....

...... Plus Edouard, who we were linked with by everybody in the transfer window but I was never convinced we were interested, not only did not score to "bite us on the bum", but seemed to be totally ineffectual.
...... and..... SCHADENFREUDE! The looks on the Palace fans faces after we scored. The horror on Zaha's face!

I am not a nasty man, but I did enjoy that. It was hilarious.

And Maupay's conversation with the Sky studio afterwards was great. Intelligent and articulate and joking with Henry and Carragher.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
All of these....

...... Plus Edouard, who we were linked with by everybody in the transfer window but I was never convinced we were interested, not only did not score to "bite us on the bum", but seemed to be totally ineffectual.
...... and..... SCHADENFREUDE! The looks on the Palace fans faces after we scored. The horror on Zaha's face!

I am not a nasty man, but I did enjoy that. It was hilarious.

And Maupay's conversation with the Sky studio afterwards was great. Intelligent and articulate and joking with Henry and Carragher.

Henry clearly loved him, but knew he couldn't say it with any Arsenal fans watching.
I think he said something along the lines of you may not like him, but I'm sure the Brighton fans love him.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Played terribly against their very good press but didn't come close to getting mullered. Need to be better against teams that press well with the midfield as well as the attack but we would have been stuffed in a similar game last year. Game management and luck both seem to be on the rise.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Henry clearly loved him, but knew he couldn't say it with any Arsenal fans watching.
I think he said something along the lines of you may not like him, but I'm sure the Brighton fans love him.

Agreed! But there is a sizeable contingent of those Brighton fans who think he is rubbish.

I was always behind him last season anyway, but this season so far 4 goals in 6 games. On the way to 20 goals, let alone 10, if he keeps that up, which he probably won't. But you never know.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pissing on Palace’s parade in the 95th minute. Not often a draw feels like a win but given how late it was, it did

When I saw Biss was missing it was the most negative I’ve been about a game for years so I was ASTOUNDED when we equalised, hard to describe the joy

D

Deleted member 2719

Barber can now make it a policy that no one should ever leave early at a Potter-led Albion team match.

Someone email, please.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think one of the main positives, Maupay's form and celebration aside, was that we put in a pretty horrendous performance however didn't concede many chances - if Trossard hadn't made the bad decision just before half time we should have gone in level, and Palace wouldn't have been able to play the counter attacking game they did in the 2nd half.

Despite this, and the injuries to several players, including first teamers - Biss, Lamptey, Webster; and Alzate and Welbeck in the 2nd half severely restricting our tactical options off the bench, we still managed to get a point away from home against a full strength Palace team. A lot of factors were against us, and in seasons gone by I reckon we would have capitulated and lost 2/3-0.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The defending was pretty decent. Build-up play was a sad sight, yet they didnt create too many good chances thanks to good defending and I think Dunk was man of the match (but all of the defenders including the early subbed Burn did well).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The defending was pretty decent. Build-up play was a sad sight, yet they didnt create too many good chances thanks to good defending and I think Dunk was man of the match (but all of the defenders including the early subbed Burn did well).

I was surprised Burn was subbed as he was containing Gallagher pretty well. GP stating he hadn’t had much game time recently made me realise it was a sensible substitution. Who would have thunk Alzate would then have to go off so soon after coming on.

We were not only playing Palace away, we were playing the curse they seem to have over us most games :shrug:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Also failing to go top, will probably mean that Potter will avoid manager of the month and the ensuing curse.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Absolutely spot on.

Chant for Neal? "Maupay in the 95th!"

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Palarse fans reactions and faces after we scored.

Gallaghers interview when he said it feels like a loss - and then almost cried.

Our mental toughness. They knew that we were not at our best but we kept at it and didn't let our heads drop.

Shane Duffy. Again immense, played up front for the last few mins and helped pull the defenders away from Maupay at the end, which allowed him to get the shot away. Great attempt to head the ball which got the (non) foul on Guiata which resulted in the goal. Some great defensive work (and a few hairy passes as per). Loving the 'new' SD.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
- an excellent away point with some really major injury issues to contend with both before and during the game.
- Maupay’s confidence is sky high now.
- Unbeaten away.
- despite an average performance we had more possession, more shots on target and more touches in their box despite them getting all the plaudits.
- Duffy is a beast
-Moder made an impact when he came on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here