Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Beating Arsenal and we’re top of the league?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Man United draw with Everton, Chelsea fail to beat Southampton, Albion winning at the Amex, and we’ll be singing “We’re top of the League!”, as Liverpool play City the next day. We dream again!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Man United draw with Everton, Chelsea fail to beat Southampton, Albion winning at the Amex, and we’ll be singing “We’re top of the League!”, as Liverpool play City the next day. We dream again!

I suspect last night was out best chance to get there this season... Chelsea I rather fancy will win, we might too though... We're already in dreamland and the 'top spot' thing is a bit irrelevant for us, BUT consolidating in the top 8 for a while would be absolutely immense... that we might just manage!

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I suspect last night was out best chance to get there this season... Chelsea I rather fancy will win, we might too though... We're already in dreamland and the 'top spot' thing is a bit irrelevant for us, BUT consolidating in the top 8 for a while would be absolutely immense... that we might just manage!
Agreed. We’re so far ahead of any of our expectations. Just feels surreal. Hope Bissouma is back on Saturday. UTA.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Arsenal are going to do us.

We'll not recover from the emotion and exertion of that game quickly enough. (Arsenal did have an emotional one too, but much more of a stroll)

5 or 6 changes would give us some chance. Can't see it though

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Arsenal are going to do us.

We'll not recover from the emotion and exertion of that game quickly enough. (Arsenal did have an emotional one too, but much more of a stroll)

5 or 6 changes would give us some chance. Can't see it though

It's a bad time to play Arsenal for sure, but we can beat them if Lamptey and Bissouma are fit.

Chopera

Apr 23, 2021
Chelsea should win their next 5 games, so I doubt we'll get a chance to go top until after Christmas. Being Brighton and everything, we might not even get another chance until the run in :down:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Soton are shite they will lose. Last night was our chance, it was fun to think of it

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not looking forward to this game that much...

Even if Bissouma gets back in time, Webster will probably be a very obvious absense. Shane Duffy has been great so far but there is no one for him to fight in the Arsenal game - no Wood, Toney, Richarlison or Edouard to battle with in the air, just a number of quick gazelles who can make life very rough for him.

Free hit. I want 3 points in the Norwich game after that though.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not this speculation again; didn't do us much good last time!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Last night was the chance, especially after the Liverpool result. Can't expect a second weekend where everything goes in our favour again.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I saw a tweet that said we are the only current PL side to have never been top of the top division for even one night.

Like others, I think last night was our best chance of this season, and, imo, probably many more to come.

Still, it certainly felt like a win, and we're sitting very pretty!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This weekend all the cards - every single one - fell for us. Almost a once in a generation sort of occurrence. Sadly, we only managed the draw. The chance that none of the teams above us will win next weekend is just a distant pipe-dream. I'm afraid.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I saw a tweet that said we are the only current PL side to have never been top of the top division for even one night.

Like others, I think last night was our best chance of this season, and, imo, probably many more to come.

Still, it certainly felt like a win, and we're sitting very pretty!

Do we still have the record of never being in the relegation zone at the end of a game week? Would be amazing if we broke the former before the latter.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I think the 'top of the league' ship has sailed, just looking forward to seeing if we can have our highest ever finish.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the 'top of the league' ship has sailed, just looking forward to seeing if we can have our highest ever finish.

About to post the same, we’ll never get that chance again in my lifetime, but hey ho it was a fabulous dream whilst it lasted

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Not this speculation again; didn't do us much good last time!

I think that’s what people said last week when I posted the same thing and all three fixtures fell into place and it was in our hands. Southampton recently drew 0:0 away at City. No harm in dreaming again.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Do we still have the record of never being in the relegation zone at the end of a game week? Would be amazing if we broke the former before the latter.

Depends if you count the very early weeks of the season. We lost our first two games of 2017, against City and Leicester. We were out of the bottom 2 on alphabetical order after week 1 and were in bottom 2 on goal difference after week 2. (the other Albion were joint top and got relegated :p) We then got a point away at Watford to lift us out and haven't been back in it at any point since.

We are also one of only eight clubs never to have been relegated from the premier league. Although this time last year it was 1 of 7 :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here