Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andre Marriner last night. Thoughts?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It seemed to me that he was giving Palace pretty much everything.

Their diving was being rewarded time after time.

It’s just lucky for us that he bought Guaita’s dive in the dying seconds too allowing the hapless keeper to pass the ball to the wonderful Veltman who produced a sublime assist that ended and a goal, broken Palace hearts and a tearful Zaha.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As always, I felt he gave us nothing and let Palace get away with too much. I may be biased :shrug:

I tend to sigh and roll my eyes when I see he’s the ref for our games

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Shocking showing from Marriner, had no control and allowed their players to get away with off the ball shoves and general petulance with no punishment, whilst our players were getting booked at the first whiff.

Although that Gallagher had a decent game for them, he was on a yellow card and towards the end of the game he was deliberately standing right in front of our free kicks on more than one occasion and generally timewasting - he should have seen a second yellow for that if the ref had anything about him. If I was a Brighton player I would have leathered the ball at him, but knowing Marriner he probably would have sent OUR player off.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It seemed to me that he was giving Palace pretty much everything.

Their diving was being rewarded time after time.

It’s just lucky for us that he bought Guaita’s dive in the dying seconds too allowing the hapless keeper to pass the ball to the wonderful Veltman who produced a sublime assist that ended and a goal, broken Palace hearts and a tearful Zaha.

Odd that. He allowed play to continue for some time after Guaita had been challenged so when he did stop play I assumed he'd be doing a drop ball but bizarrely gave the free kick. A blessing in disguise but still bizarre.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Yeah. Very partial in his decision making, like PGMOL has instructed refs to go back to the old school in a bid to get fans (and their influence) back. Anderson should have been booked after 4 mins.

Anyway, funny in the end.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought Marriner reffed the game well.

On another day Cucurella could have been yellow carded for his push on Gallagher in the area immediately before Trossard's challenge then a second yellow for his lunge on the same player for which he did get booked.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It seems like since fans are back, the referees are clearly favouring home sides particularly on the big decisions (although we benefitted from it against Leicester).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Thought he was fine to be honest. It was a feisty tie and he allowed the game to flow pretty well. We could have had a pen and a foul in the build up to theirs, but I don't think either decisions were "wrong" as such. Put it this way, neither would have been overturned whichever way the ref decided as both were pretty marginal. Plus, 5 mins added on got us well out of jail.

The ref wasn't the reason we weren't at the races last night, it was a poor performance all round from us and that is what makes the result even sweeter.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Fine. All the PL refs (even TC&UShyster) are better this season because physical challenges are allowed (to re-balance the game from the non-contact sport it was becoming) and VAR has been told to get back in its box.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Although it didn't work to our style, I thought he reffed the game as a derby should be reffed and let a lot go. Think there is a reason he keeps getting these games as he is cool headed and takes no guff. We can argue about individual decisions all day but he is one of my favourite refs. Without Bissouma, letting everything go worked in their favour as they were the ones pressing and diving in. But better that than waving cards around all over the place.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fine. All the PL refs (even TC&UShyster) are better this season because physical challenges are allowed (to re-balance the game from the non-contact sport it was becoming) and VAR has been told to get back in its box.

Personally think they've gone too far the other way with plenty of challenges that should be fouls that aren't. For example Tarkowski on Maupay for Burnley's goal. Last night Gallagher launched himself at Cucarella, of the ground and arguably not in control. Also the ridiculous playing on from clear offsides. That will be reversed once someone gets injured playing on.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Personally think they've gone too far the other way with plenty of challenges that should be fouls that aren't. For example Tarkowski on Maupay for Burnley's goal. Last night Gallagher launched himself at Cucarella, of the ground and arguably not in control. Also the ridiculous playing on from clear offsides. That will be reversed once someone gets injured playing on.

Like Rui Patricio last season?

Dont know why they would reverse it because of that. They havent reversed the advantage rule just because someone might get injured. Players get injured in all sorts of situations.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Like Rui Patricio last season?

Dont know why they would reverse it because of that. They havent reversed the advantage rule just because someone might get injured. Players get injured in all sorts of situations.

The advantage rule is completely different. A team may go on to score if advantage is played. If there is a clear offside that the linesman has seen there is never going to be a goal because he'll just flag late.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well he didn’t blow the whistle the moment their keeper took the free kick, so he can’t be all bad!

.............. recognising their time wasting and how long Guaita took to take the kick in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here