[Albion] Graham Potter though

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
**** me, we got lucky here.

Or did we?

Was a watched man for some time and, when it was decided that Sir Hughton's time had come, we pounced.

But, blimey, what a classy character he is.

Today's post-match interview is as great an example as you could hope to see. Won't dwell on the things that didn't really go our way (ie the red card challenge that was ignored before they scored), plsys down Palace's inability to look after their visitors and concedes that, despite our great start, there is a lot more to come from us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh0oyWHzPn8

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
have to say he has moved on from a 'mechanistic approach' to one where his emotions are showing. Brilliant reaction to the goal and showing an honest view on performance,

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have been impressed with him from day one, sometimes baffled me with his selections, and sometimes he has been done tactically, if he hasn't had a fit squad to choose from, but I would not swap him for any other manager in this division.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is nice to know that your manager is going to make a move and improve things after a shitty first half.

Class act. I must admit to a few wobbles last season but clearly, we have a good un here.

Long may he stay.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
He’s never blamed adversity, poor decisions etc even when it’s blatant. Last season some people were infuriated he didn’t put pressure on officials or rant after games.

However he’s showing a management intelligence far above what you expect from a football manager. Focus on what you can control, not what you can’t. Always keep it about you.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
have to say he has moved on from a 'mechanistic approach' to one where his emotions are showing. Brilliant reaction to the goal and showing an honest view on performance,

Poor guy had a lot going on in his life when he first joined as well as taking on a huge job. Maybe now he’s just able to enjoy it all a bit. Certainly deserves to. It’s been a stunning transformation in style.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
To be honest Potter got lucky because if Maupay hadn't snatched that goal, after their keeper faked injury, we'd all be talking about why Moder didn't start or how come Alzate came on when there are other options that might have been better.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be honest Potter got lucky because if Maupay hadn't snatched that goal, after their keeper faked injury, we'd all be talking about why Moder didn't start or how come Alzate came on when there are other options that might have been better.

I’d rather look at the fact that we got unlucky with the penalty because that foul on Welbeck in the build up should have been a card and a free kick to us. Who knows what might have happened in the second half if it had stayed 0-0 at HT

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’d rather look at the fact that we got unlucky with the penalty because that foul on Welbeck in the build up should have been a card and a free kick to us. Who knows what might have happened in the second half if it had stayed 0-0 at HT

True, if we'd started the 2nd half nil-nil it could have been a very different game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Likewise, if we hadn’t needed to use subs to replace Welbeck and Alzate & could have freshened things up instead, things might have got a lot more uncomfortable for Palace.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Wrong initial selection and shape last night, we were penned in... not sure why he picked the middle two he did, especially missing our 'engine room' in midfield?!? However that said, he rectified a bit of a mess as best as he could, and the stats suggest we were very much in the game... a draw was a fair result, but we do need to start Moder in the middle if Biss is missing and (sadly) I fear Gross is becoming less and less of a starter... I hope he's learned from that, because if Biss is missing for the Arsenal match we need a FAR more mobile midfield.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's *almost* as if managers – like players – sometimes take a bit of time to life in the Premier League, or when they've taken a step up ???

He has his way of doing things, never gets too high or too low and makes sure that he learns from the mistakes. A clever guy and a top quality manager – I hope he sticks around for a long time.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Wrong initial selection and shape last night, we were penned in... not sure why he picked the middle two he did, especially missing our 'engine room' in midfield?!? However that said, he rectified a bit of a mess as best as he could, and the stats suggest we were very much in the game... a draw was a fair result, but we do need to start Moder in the middle if Biss is missing and (sadly) I fear Gross is becoming less and less of a starter... I hope he's learned from that, because if Biss is missing for the Arsenal match we need a FAR more mobile midfield.

Definitely this, straight when I saw the team and could see it would be Lallana and Gross in the middle then you just knew Palace were licking their lips as they knew they would control the midfield.
If Biss is still out then have Moder in there and maybe Mac Allister as well as Welbeck will be out.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Last night showed that when we are without Bissouma we cannot start Gross and Lallana together, both are high quality players but need Biss alongside either of them to allow them to look forward and not do the grunt work of breaking up attacks, plus giving them a pacey option to do their running for them. Moder has to fill the Biss role with those two alternating, he has the energy and industry to make it work. He's not as good as Yves but he's definitely good enough for what we need him to do.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
13 points from 6 but still plenty to improve. So we haven't hit the ceiling then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here