Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] EPL games abroad

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Several media reports this morning that EPL shareholders met last week to discuss playing meaningful EPL games abroad in future seasons, most likely at the end of the next TV deal. They would like to see games in China, USA, Australia, Brazil, India and Qatar as starting points.

This will start with an enhanced pre-season tournament building on the huge success of the PL Asia Trophy, likely to be extended from it's current 4 teams and played at multiple venues across the globe.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now, now. I'm not a fish.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Could happen, the NFL already do it playing regular games in London

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If we're talking about the proposal .....

Then yes, terrible idea. Whatever is proposed will always just be the thin end of the wedge.

These ESL clubs will keep coming back with their ridiculous ways of making even more money. Though most of these clubs have placated their fans with mega signings. They're all doing well in the league (apart from one nuisance of a small club getting in their way). Now is a good time for them to push through something else unpopular

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It could be very successful money-wise.

With Burnley v Norwich, spectators would have to pay twice.

Once to get in, once to get out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
where is this being reported? seems just website repeating the Athletic, based on this "A possible “roadmap for meaningful matches abroad” was mentioned last week".

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I really hope it doesn't happen but I really wouldn't be surprised to see this happen sooner or later..

Just look at when Liverpool played Melbourne Victory in Australia a few years back..

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It could be very successful money-wise.

With Burnley v Norwich, spectators would have to pay twice.

Once to get in, once to get out.

I very much doubt that would be a game selected for played abroad. I expect it would be like the NFL and it would begin with a handful of games played over the course of the season. Primarily smaller teams at home to the 'big six'. If it were a whole round of fixtures then it would be something like:

Burnley v Man U
Norwich v Liverpool
Brighton v Man City
Watford v Arsenal
Crystal Palace v Tottingham
Wolverhampton v Chelsea
Everton v Aston Villa
Newcastle v Leicester
Brentford v Leeds
Southampton v West Ham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here