Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Alan Lancaster RIP

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One of the original band of four, Francis Rossi, Rick Parfitt, Alan Lancaster, and John Coughlan.

For my money, Quo have never been the same since the latter two departed the line op.

R.I.P. Alan.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Much like Slade, Status Quo were mocked by the Music Media while adoring all sorts of w*nk Bands like Culture Club and their like.

I saw them both Live, clearly had done it all before and were fvcking amazing.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Much like Slade, Status Quo were mocked by the Music Media while adoring all sorts of w*nk Bands like Culture Club and their like.

Yep - spot on.

Quo rocked yet straddled the commercial side of music brilliantly, not an easy feat … alas they were relentlessly mocked/derided in the music press etc. ultimately they kept their brilliant heads down boogie going, and the two fingers to trends and the ‘critical acclaim’ brigade couldn’t have been any more stark.

Brilliant band, exceptional live act… great tunes… what more could any of us ask for ?

Rock in peace Alan.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Fvckety Fvck, all my Childhood heroes departing - Quo was the first Album I ever bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8QzBvUYnsY

First album I ever bought

quo.jpg

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Love Quo, always have, right back to 'Ice In The Sun' (didn't like Pictures Of Matchstick Men) in their 'Hippy' stage. Thought they'd just faded away when a guy I worked with back in 1970 said he'd seen them at The Big Apple in Brighton and they were brilliant, all denims and long hair and playing as loud as f**k. The rest, as they say, is history as they pounded out hit after hit, and blew people away at their concerts. I never got to see the original line up live, Alan and John had left by the time I finally saw them, they were still good though. To the haters or the indifferent, at the end of the day it's your loss, you either 'got' them or you didn't, I happened to 'get' them big time along with millions of others.
RIP Alan, and thanks for the memories.
:rock:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I will never forget those Quo gigs I saw over the years, absolutely brilliant.... RIP Spud.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Love Quo, always have, right back to 'Ice In The Sun' (didn't like Pictures Of Matchstick Men) in their 'Hippy' stage. Thought they'd just faded away when a guy I worked with back in 1970 said he'd seen them at The Big Apple in Brighton and they were brilliant, all denims and long hair and playing as loud as f**k. The rest, as they say, is history as they pounded out hit after hit, and blew people away at their concerts. I never got to see the original line up live, Alan and John had left by the time I finally saw them, they were still good though. To the haters or the indifferent, at the end of the day it's your loss, you either 'got' them or you didn't, I happened to 'get' them big time along with millions of others.

They never got the credit they deserved, Just Take Me was an underrated classic.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Spent many hours as youngster getting to grips with the bass by playing along to Alan’s lines on those classic Quo albums and got to see him play many times most recently on the FF reunion tour in 2014. Nobody made a little Fender Mustang bass sound quite like he did. A master of understated, rock solid playing and a fine singer and songwriter as well. RIP Nuff.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Me too re the early stuff as seen by me as an avid fan of TOTP. Piledriver and Dog of Two Heads were two albums that got away in my impoverished youth, but enjoyed a fabulous shirtless rocking night at The Dome with the original lineup and followed up in 2011 at The Centre. RIP and thanks.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
As a bass player with Quo he probably had one of the least challenging jobs in rock, but along with his bandmates made it look fun.

Another one bites the dust!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jul 7, 2003
RIP Nuff

Seeing Quo at Selhurst on the End of the Road tour was my first proper gig. As said on here before, Quo Live is one of the all time great live albums. Do yourself a favour and have a listen in his memory.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Saw them at The Big Apple on several occasions. Saw them at The Dome with Louden Wainwright 111 and Hawkwind. A bit one dimensional, but they were pretty good.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I loved Slade, Status Quo .... then the Ramones, but I never got why the latter were made such a big deal of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here