Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Tech Question

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In simple terms:

I have a work laptop and an all in one personal desktop on my desk. I also have a massive TV screen.

I connect the AIO via an HDML lead and use the TV as a screen. I can also use the same lead to connect the laptop.

I would like to:

Get a second HDML lead so the laptop is connected and the AIO is connected at the same time.

BUT

1) Is it possible to flip between screens when an HDML lead is connected into one port and another HDML in a different one ?

2) Can I get a keyboard that I can connect to the TV that means I won't have to keep changing keyboards when using a different device ?

I've tried plugging the USB connector for the laptop keyboard into the TV but it doesn't recognise it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In simple terms:

I have a work laptop and an all in one personal desktop on my desk. I also have a massive TV screen.

I connect the AIO via an HDML lead and use the TV as a screen. I can also use the same lead to connect the laptop.

I would like to:

Get a second HDML lead so the laptop is connected and the AIO is connected at the same time.

BUT

1) Is it possible to flip between screens when an HDML lead is connected into one port and another HDML in a different one ?

2) Can I get a keyboard that I can connect to the TV that means I won't have to keep changing keyboards when using a different device ?

I've tried plugging the USB connector for the laptop keyboard into the TV but it doesn't recognise it.

1) yes.

2) yes.

Maybe.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why do you need a separate keyboard?

Surely you just plug the desktop into one HDMI in the TV.

The laptop into another HDMI in the TV.

Switch between the two by using the input selector on your TV remote for the relevant HDMI. Both keyboards will work.

Maybe I'm missing something?

I think you're over complicating it if you want to then add in say a separate wireless keyboard. Adding a separate keyboard via USB to the TV will mean having to select USB on the TV, and then you won't see either computer as they're connected via HDMI.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
So I can't understand why the TV didn't allow the keyboard to type when I put its USB in the back.

I don't see how this can work. The TV is simply being used as a display output but the keyboard must be an input to the AIO and the laptop. There is no signal going from the keyboard to either computers if it's plugged into the TV.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't see how this can work. The TV is simply being used as a display output but the keyboard must be an input to the AIO and the laptop. There is no signal going from the keyboard to either computers if it's plugged into the TV.

Exactly.

The TV in this scenario is just a giant monitor fed by whichever HDMI is selected on the TV.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why do you need a separate keyboard?

Surely you just plug the desktop into one HDMI in the TV.

The laptop into another HDMI in the TV.

Switch between the two by using the input selector on your TV remote for the relevant HDMI. Both keyboards will work.

Maybe I'm missing something?

I think you're over complicating it if you want to then add in say a separate wireless keyboard. Adding a separate keyboard via USB to the TV will mean having to select USB on the TV, and then you won't see either computer as they're connected via HDMI.

Yeah, I just wondered if it was possible to use the same keyboard all the time (when using the big monitor) but flit between the two devices as and when.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, I just wondered if it was possible to use the same keyboard all the time (when using the big monitor) but flit between the two devices as and when.

There's a possibility a wireless keyboard might do it, but I'm not convinced, so I don't recommend wasting money trying if you don't already have access to a wireless keyboard.

What you could also try is perhaps getting some sort of USB splitter so that you can somehow plug the desktop keyboard into both the desktop and the laptop. Then fiddle around with the settings in the laptop to disable it's keyboard and use the USB connected desktop keyboard instead.

Either way, connecting a keyboard directly to your TV via USB isn't going to work.

Edit: Perhaps a female,male,male USB splitter would do it?
Keyboard into female, male into laptop, male into desktop.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another alternative it seems, if both machines are running Windows.

Use a wireless keyboard. Install a free Windows program called.... Mouse Without Borders... And use the same wireless keyboard and mouse on both machines.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Another alternative it seems, if both machines are running Windows.

Use a wireless keyboard. Install a free Windows program called.... Mouse Without Borders... And use the same wireless keyboard and mouse on both machines.

:bowdown:

I think I have the winner.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

I was the OP in that thread and went for the item recommended in post #3.

It is excellent and makes switching between my work and home computers effortless.

The OP in this thread want to use 2 computers simultaneously which isn't quite the same requirement but very close. I can send 1 computer to sleep and switch in about 15 seconds.

[MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here